PDA

View Full Version : "Sound Card: DirectX 9 compatible PCI card"

ssteen
02-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Just a small technical question. Prior to readin the tech specs of Silent Hunter III, I had never heard of "DirectX 9 PCI cards", and so am in a little doubt just at what it means. Because looking at sound cards, i can't find that type of specification.

Anyway, the card that I want to purchase for the game is a swedish soundcard from Gainward (http://www.gainward.se) Here are the specs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Specifications
VIA Envy 24 HT-S ICEnsemble SPU
2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1* channels
IEC958 S/PDIF Optical output
Analog 20-bit/48KHz I/O's
Digital 24-bit/192KHz I/O's
PCM, DTS, DD, DD-EX, DTS-ES
8 simultaneous outbound streams
4 simultaneous input streams
Independent channel volume for surround
DirectSound" / DirectSound3D"
EAX" 1.0, EAX" 2.0
A3D" 1.x
I3DL2

Technology
Bit-for-bit accurate transfers
3 synchronous I²S/AC-link outdata streampairs
2 synchronous I²S/AC-link indata streampairs
PCI 2.2 interface
Multi-channel AC-link supported alternatively
Integrated IEC958 S/PDIF line driver
Peak meters on all streams
Windows WDM drivers
PCI 2.2
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you see, no mention of DirectX 9 compability. So I was wondering how can I make sure?

ssteen
02-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Just a small technical question. Prior to readin the tech specs of Silent Hunter III, I had never heard of "DirectX 9 PCI cards", and so am in a little doubt just at what it means. Because looking at sound cards, i can't find that type of specification.

Anyway, the card that I want to purchase for the game is a swedish soundcard from Gainward (http://www.gainward.se) Here are the specs:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Specifications
VIA Envy 24 HT-S ICEnsemble SPU
2.1, 4.1, 5.1, 6.1, 7.1* channels
IEC958 S/PDIF Optical output
Analog 20-bit/48KHz I/O's
Digital 24-bit/192KHz I/O's
PCM, DTS, DD, DD-EX, DTS-ES
8 simultaneous outbound streams
4 simultaneous input streams
Independent channel volume for surround
DirectSound" / DirectSound3D"
EAX" 1.0, EAX" 2.0
A3D" 1.x
I3DL2

Technology
Bit-for-bit accurate transfers
3 synchronous I²S/AC-link outdata streampairs
2 synchronous I²S/AC-link indata streampairs
PCI 2.2 interface
Multi-channel AC-link supported alternatively
Integrated IEC958 S/PDIF line driver
Peak meters on all streams
Windows WDM drivers
PCI 2.2
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As you see, no mention of DirectX 9 compability. So I was wondering how can I make sure?

hauitsme
02-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Don't know, and definitely can't tell from that link since it only goes to the main site and not to the specific card. So the question now is, what card is that?

ssteen
02-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Sorry, you're right it was the wrong link, here is the correct one:

Hollywood@home 7.1 (http://www.gainward.se/products/hollywoodathome/hollywoodathome_71_soundcard/hollywoodathome71soundcard.html)

Alas they don't have an english version of the site, but I hope it is enough.

macker33
02-01-2005, 09:38 AM
hmm,I wonder if a soundblaster live is directx9 compatable?
I have to send my computer in for a major upgrade next week,i guess i will just have to add a soundcard to the growing list.

Capt.LoneRanger
02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
AFAIK the definition for a DX9 soundcard is it's ability to utilize EAX 2.0 hardware accelleration.

I think DX9C supports up to EAX 3.0.

Any other soundcards will surely run with this game, including all onboard sound-chips. The optimization for EAX will however result in an even more notable difference between cheap onboard sound and an EAX-card.
Even the difference from OnBoard-Sound to SB 128 is more than notable, a SB live is still a good card, though it cannot compete with more modern Audigy- and Audigy2-cards.

macker33
02-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Thats a relief,i know my card can EAX.
I was supprised when the dev team said there would be no Eax because you would think it would suit a subsim,maybe they changed plans.

blue_76
02-01-2005, 01:08 PM
I have a sb live card and she suits me fine. compatibility is a big issue when it comes to game sales.. any gamer who finds out that his/her sound card or video card doesn't work immediately returns the game and that is what game designers try to avoid. i am ceratain they will resolve any sound compatibility issues before releasing the game.

macker33
02-02-2005, 01:43 PM
I am actually happy with my soundcard,a lot of the time i get crackles and misses(in il2 etc)though.

ANYWAY,i would rather ask you guys than someone else.
My computer isnt quite up to scratch despite me only upgrading it last year,so i'm sending it in for a biggish upgrade,

What i have planned is a new cpu,a 40gb(at least)hard drive(plus one for my sisters computer),a new video card and an extra stick of RAM(256mb ddr).I dont want a new motherboard.
I dont want to break the bank but i dont want a computer that cant cut it either.

How big a cpu can i fit on a K7SEM 730s motherboard(i aint made of money),and what video card should i get.

All advice is appreciated.

Specs.
K7sem 730s mother board with a duron 1300+cpu(actually only 945mhz).
80gb harddrive.
256mb ddr ram.
Soundblaster live 5.1 value.
Geforce 4 mmx440 128mb ddr.

I dont want to go over 400 bucks(including labour.

Antrodemus
02-02-2005, 02:54 PM
According to this page :

ECS CPU spec page (http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Support/CPU_Support.aspx?DetailID=193&MenuID=48&LanID=8)

... it can take up to an XP2600, but check that your PCB is version 3.0a, although this level of CPU support is probably restricted to the latest BIOS version only, so you may need to flash the BIOS. The PCB version number is usually on a small label, or printed on the PCB, somewhere around the bottom left corner, but it could be anywhere, depending on the blood/alcohol level of the builder.

However, you might have trouble finding an new AthlonXP CPU these days, outwith E-Bay.

A.

macker33
02-03-2005, 10:00 AM
I just had a $170 windfall this morning so i guess that an extra 170 smackeroonies i got to spend,talk obout perfect timing.