PDA

View Full Version : What realism do people play on?

Adlerson
03-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Adlerson
03-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Zeuxidamus
03-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Well I play at 92%, just the exterior cam on. I just can't resist checking out the eye candy, but don't really use it tactically.

Took me a while to get the hang of the torpedoes though, but now I am hitting stuff left and right.

rickidoo
03-21-2005, 04:22 AM
I play at 92%, which leaves the external camera on. I do use it for one tactical purpose however, I allow myself to view the targets' flag once they get close enough. Screen resolution is way under what my eyeball would see in real life. (I'm a pleasure sailor and I can see the details of flags for a good distance in real life.)

Of course, I also use the external camera for the eye candy of it all - it's great!

Adlerson
03-21-2005, 09:01 AM
15 answers so far, anyone else?

Addy

Ron-V.Aeternus
03-21-2005, 09:09 AM
What the devs could do; is an external cam on, but with realistic mode, you can't see any ships apart from ownship and ship you have discovered yourself.

I play full realistic, but just the cams on, it's just so beautiful.

What also could be done, is play 100% in career mode, and 92% in missions mode.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-21-2005, 09:10 AM
I play at 89%. I tried 100% but I missed the event camera, and I figured that the event camera didn't really spoil the realism because most of what you see with the event camera doesn't give you any advantage - you can usually tell what's happening anyway, but seeing it adds so much to the experience. After I added the event cam I played a few patrols but I found that I wanted the free cam because then I could look at the sights when I was going into port. I've promised myself that I won't use it to gain an advantage in battles.

quillan
03-21-2005, 09:11 AM
I run at 72%. I have auto targeting on, and auto map update on. For the map, I'm supposed to be the captain of the Uboat. The captain calls out the range and bearing of contacts, someone else marks them on the map. So, the auto map update effectively takes care of that for me. It's especially nice since we don't have any way of drawing accurate bearing lines on the map. As to the auto targeting, I hadn't played a sub sim since Silent Service back in the early 90s. I'm not confident enough yet to even try manual. Once I get to where I can recognize the ships, and get to the appropriate ship listing quickly, I'll give it a try.

Pr0metheus 1962
03-21-2005, 09:13 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quillan:
I run at 72%. I have auto targeting on, and auto map update on. For the map, I'm supposed to be the captain of the Uboat. The captain calls out the range and bearing of contacts, someone else marks them on the map... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. Maybe I'll try switching auto map update on. What does auto targeting do?

HeibgesU999
03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
I love just watching my boat cruise by in the free camera when there is nothing going on. And planning the shots for my Uboat Movie, like the helicopter flyby. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This game is just so beautiful.

quillan
03-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Auto targeting automatically gives you the ship type, range, angle on bow, and target speed, and sends all of that to the TDC. So, you don't have to do any of that for calculating a firing solution. My problem with it is the speed. I understand the procedure, but it would take me at least 5-10 minutes to figure out exactly what ship I am looking at, find the appropriate picture in the recognition manual, and then run through the process of getting the solution. The ships I see a lot of, like the C2 transport, I'm beginning to recognize by silhouette. Once I'm good at that, then I'll switch the TDC to manual and give it a shot (no pun intended).

ACSoft
03-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Without any doubt, 92 % !!!

ACSoft
03-21-2005, 09:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by quillan:
Auto targeting automatically gives you the ship type, range, angle on bow, and target speed, and sends all of that to the TDC. So, you don't have to do any of that for calculating a firing solution. My problem with it is the speed. I understand the procedure, but it would take me at least 5-10 minutes to figure out exactly what ship I am looking at, find the appropriate picture in the recognition manual, and then run through the process of getting the solution. The ships I see a lot of, like the C2 transport, I'm beginning to recognize by silhouette. Once I'm good at that, then I'll switch the TDC to manual and give it a shot (no pun intended). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but you can use your "weapon officer" to help you or do all the job manually. So it is great to enable manual TDC.

My only regret, is that when you ask to your "weapon officer" to identify the target, that the identification book is not automatically set to the right page. You could have, for example, a button which allow to open directly the book on "the last identification" page.

Adlerson
03-21-2005, 10:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For the map, I'm supposed to be the captain of the Uboat. The captain calls out the range and bearing of contacts, someone else marks them on the map. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's pretty much my reasoning too. Couldn't have said it better myself. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Addy

Monkeywho
03-21-2005, 11:28 PM
97% I believe. (I voted 100% because that was closest)

I just have the even camera on as that takes place after the torp is launched. Not being a modern sub with wire control. . nothing I can do after the torp is launched so I figured it's not cheating.

I've been doing well so far. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I always play my sims on full realism. I like the challenge. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Maj_Death
03-22-2005, 01:45 AM
76%, I have externals and auto TDC on but that's it. The externals I like for the eyecandy though I do use them tactically too cause I'm new to sub sims. The auto TDC I use cause I have a hard enough time hitting a ship with auto TDC. Will probebly turn that off eventually though. Just need a week of playing to get the experience.

Trydan
03-22-2005, 02:51 AM
This is my first U-Boot sim' ever. Thus, I started the campaign at 27%. After each patrol, I pick one aspect of the game that I think I can cope with, and switch it to "realistic" mode. I'm now up to 40%, and it is slowly increasing. At some point, I guess I'll reach a point where I simply can't cope, but so far so good.

WTE_Tigger
03-22-2005, 04:40 AM
Well I am starting low and working up http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif in difficulty/realisim. I am having too much fun with all the eye-candy to play hard core yet. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Of course in WTE-SUBS we got people playing at all levels, but i forsee some toughening to come hehe.

WTE Tigger

http://wte-anga.com/Images/Units/Front_Images/subs_front.jpg

axeman3d
03-22-2005, 04:53 AM
This is my first subsim for a long time and I've only had it for 1.5 days, so I'm currently doing a career on a realism of 55%. I'm going to up that by using the manual targetting and TDC because I cant hit a **** thing with the auto stuff on. In the training I wiped out a convoy, in the career I shoot right of everything. You cant lose the event camera, it's a waste of an awesome looking game otherwise, and this isn't real life anyway. Hopefully I'll get up to the higher settings shortly, once I get a few patrols under my belt.

U1409
03-22-2005, 05:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACSoft:
My only regret, is that when you ask to your "weapon officer" to identify the target, that the identification book is not automatically set to the right page. You could have, for example, a button which allow to open directly the book on "the last identification" page. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can do that already. Just click the "SHIP:" link on the target notepad, and it will open on the selected type.

Me, I am running at 89% as well. Eye-candy on, and using my weapons officer a lot. He is a bit too effective, though, so I am considering to go full-manual.

dizeee
03-22-2005, 05:35 AM
hmmm guys no offence, but using auto tdc realy takes away alot of the whole sub experience. its just point and click this way.
u are sposed to miss alot! ur apreciating a sinking much more if ur using the manual way.
things like bad weather and rough sea, was a actual bummer to real uboat captains.
im playing at 92% atm, only allowing external for the eyecandy, but i think im movin to mapupdates soon again. its just so much guessing around atm, coz important tools are missing at the maproom. also the soundman is realy not much of a help in the current way, coz he dosnt speak much.

Heartland
03-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Like many others I run at around 75% or so, with external cam enabled for eye candy goodness and screenies. Also have map updates enabled.

JG27_Arklight
03-22-2005, 06:26 AM
55% for me. I have no interest in manual TDC whatsoever. I thought I had more realism options enabled but I guess not. I'm having fun though so I could give a rat's *** what my realism settings are on. lol http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

codmander1
03-22-2005, 08:00 AM
85% everything but manual tdc

Adlerson
03-22-2005, 08:22 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm having fun though so I could give a rat's *** what my realism settings are on. lol <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hehe, so true! People have to play it on the level that appeals to them, not what pleases the purists. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That being said, I'm happy to see the amount of people that play on relatively high levels of realism. We could always hope the devs take note and add more features on the realistic side of things, no?

Cheers,
Addy

Cheapshot
03-22-2005, 08:51 AM
I've been playing with everything hard except for the external camera (only for a good screenie), the event camera (to watch the show), and the map icons on.

Last night I took the icons off and have come to the conclusion that.....we really, really need a protractor at the nav station.

I had to make do with pressing my E6B's compass rose to the screen last night... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

ACSoft
03-22-2005, 10:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by U1409:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ACSoft:
My only regret, is that when you ask to your "weapon officer" to identify the target, that the identification book is not automatically set to the right page. You could have, for example, a button which allow to open directly the book on "the last identification" page. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You can do that already. Just click the "SHIP:" link on the target notepad, and it will open on the selected type.

Me, I am running at 89% as well. Eye-candy on, and using my weapons officer a lot. He is a bit too effective, though, so I am considering to go full-manual. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

U1409, many thanks !!!

How can I have missed that ?!?

Probably because of not enough sleep, if you see what I mean !!!