PDA

View Full Version : My feelings and experiences for IL2

EoW_Maverick
08-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I was first shown the IL2 series from a classmate in grade 7 when FB came out and I liked the QMB, just to shoot stuff down, not caring what I was doing, and I thought of it as a GAME, never getting into the campaigns or single missions, and flew whatever I wanted, not thinking, oh this is a noobish plane, or this is an unfair plane, and did what I wanted.

Went out, got 1946 at Wal-Mart, waited to get a new computer with good enough specs for IL2 and installed and played it. Again, didn't care about what i flew or not, never knew about "wonder-women" view (and what a bad habit to get into), and was good against the AI. Finally decided to get online, and flew on the Arcadish servers (open pit, external servers) and had some fun.

One night i was on and I met a nice guy (WhistlinggDeath) who taught me a bit about full real, probably my first time ever flying full real, and me thinking, wow, why did I ever start flying open pit? I lost all that I learned from offline as far as gunnery, and flew with him some more, and more, to the point where I would never go near a open pit server and only fly full real or closed pit. Mind you I only had, and still do, only have a simple setup of a joystick with twist rudder and throttle built in, and found ways to help me and my SA. Started flying with the Delta Chevron squad and did rather well, using basic energy management and SA skill I learned from full real sessions with WD. I got to the point where I could spot certain maneuvers and not fall for energy wasting moves such as stall climbs or losing my altitude advantage and could keep pace with their TA-152 pilot in my Tempest, other than the fact that I tried outrunning it a couple times to no avail. The 152 pilot and I became friends and he introduced me to the rest of his squad ([^], who I still fly with regularly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and then stopped flying for a bit since I got a part time job.

Started flying in the quick fight servers (open pit) and met my current squad (Eagles of War) and flew with them for quite a bit. We mainly did carrier ops and some planned out missions on open pit servers (HH, RCAF-FB, etc) and was able to pin them down with our five members in coordinated ground attacks, and stopped flying closed pit.

Now, starting to fly closed pit, feel a bit of deja vu as I have to re-learn EVERYTHING about closed pit flying, gunnery and energy management, all because I slacked and didn't fly combat for a while (carrier ops, just flying, and bad internet connection) and didn't keep my skills in check. Now, still flying with my squad and what's left of the [^] squad that still flies regularly, and again, my buddy, the 152 pilot, asks me, what's wrong, you were ably to keep up with me in your tempest, and never got fooled my my tricks, from the most simple to complex ones, like seriously, and all I could say was, I don't know, not practicing I guess, and still today, i am looking for those servers that allow me to do whatever, and not lose my skills that I have learned.

All in all, my whole IL2 experience has been amazing, from learning how to shoot offline, to energy management with WD, and tactics and gunnery with the [^]'s, to teaching my squad mates some full real and navigation skills(which I surprisingly have a knack for, dunno from where though xD) to relearning everything again, and all I can say is wow, i've practically played this game/simulation in three stages, and have nothing to show because I slacked, and didn't practice, or didn't challenge myself. This series has come a long way and im glad im still in it as much as I am, considering the friend that showed me FB doesn't fly too much anymore, and that i still have school and a part time job to deal with. This has been a great experience, and I will probably never forget about this series or anyone that i've met during this experience.

~S~

jayhall0315
08-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Uhh, thanks alot Marten for the kind comments. Many would oppose your opinion and say I fly like sh!t, LOL. At any rate, you know I look at IL2 as a manifold energy transition problem (PE -> KE -> PE) (from thermo) rather than the 'game' that many take it to be, which is all I tried to pass on to you. Taking a summer break but will be back up with my naval aviation server in September after I get back to the USA.

Also, look up FI_Gadje and IAF116/~Xcom as they are better than me in pure one on one and you will learn good things by watching them.

S!

na85
08-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by EoW_Maverick:
I was first shown the IL2 series from a classmate in grade 7 when FB came out and I liked the QMB, just to shoot stuff down, not caring what I was doing, and I thought of it as a GAME, never getting into the campaigns or single missions, and flew whatever I wanted, not thinking, oh this is a noobish plane, or this is an unfair plane, and did what I wanted. Went out, got 1946 at Wal-Mart, waited to get a new computer with good enough specs for IL2 and installed and played it. Again, didn't care about what i flew or not, never knew about "wonder-women" view (and what a bad habit to get into), and was good against the AI. Finally decided to get online, and flew on the Arcadish servers (open pit, external servers) and had some fun. One night i was on and I met a nice guy (WhistlinggDeath) who taught me a bit about full real, probably my first time ever flying full real, and me thinking, wow, why did I ever start flying open pit? I lost all that I learned from offline as far as gunnery, and flew with him some more, and more, to the point where I would never go near a open pit server and only fly full real or closed pit. Mind you i only had, and still do, only have a simple setup of a joystick with twist rudder and throttle built in, and found ways to help me and my SA. Started flying with the Delta Chevron squad and did rather well, using basic energy management and SA skill I learned from full real sessions with WD. I got to the point where I could spot certain maneuvers and not fall for energy wasting moves such as stall climbs or losing my altitude advantage and could keep pace with their TA-152 pilot in my Tempest, other than the fact that I tried outrunning it a couple times to no avail. The 152 pilot and I became friends and he introduced me to the rest of his squad ([^], who I still fly with regularly http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) and then stopped flying for a bit since I got a part time job. Started flying in the quick fight servers (open pit) and met my current squad (Eagles of War) and flew with them for quite a bit. We mainly did carrier ops and some planned out missions on open pit servers (HH, RCAF-FB, etc) and was able to pin them down with our five members in coordinated ground attacks, and stopped flying closed pit. Now, starting to fly closed pit, feel a bit of deja vu as I have to re-learn EVERYTHING about closed pit flying, gunnery and energy management, all because I slacked and didn't fly combat for a while (carrier ops, just flying, and bad internet connection) and didn't keep my skills in check. Now, still flying with my squad and what's left of the [^] squad that still flies regularly, and again, my buddy, the 152 pilot, asks me, what's wrong, you were ably to keep up with me in your tempest, and never got fooled my my tricks, from the most simple to complex ones, like seriously, and all I could say was, I don't know, not practicing I guess, and still today, i am looking for those servers that allow me to do whatever, and not lose my skills that I have learned. All in all, my whole IL2 experience has been amazing, from learning how to shoot offline, to energy management with WD, and tactics and gunnery with the [^]'s, to teaching my squad mates some full real and navigation skills(which I surprisingly have a knack for, dunno from where though xD) to relearning everything again, and all I can say is wow, i've practically played this game/simulation in three stages, and have nothing to show because I slacked, and didn't practice, or didn't challenge myself. This series has come a long way and im glad im still in it as much as I am, considering the friend that showed me FB doesn't fly too much anymore, and that i still have school and a part time job to deal with. This has been a great experience, and I will probably never forget about this series or anyone that i've met during this experience.

~S~

Impenetrable wall of text is impenetrable.

SeaFireLIV
08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Impenetrable wall of text is impenetrable.

I think what he means to say is, `Paragraphs are your friend.`

Romanator21
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Similar story with me. My friend gave me his old IL-2 Gold Pack several years ago, and I flew the La-7 in wonderwoman without regard. Only last year did I get 1946 and go online for the first time. Delta Chevron took me under their wing, for indeed I was a noob. X32Wright and Whistling Death are great teachers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

MD_Titus
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
use a finger to keep your place.

Waldo.Pepper
08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by MD_Titus:
use a finger to keep your place.

Will that help me find a mechanic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNk195s4FjY

MD_Titus
08-07-2009, 06:40 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif