PDA

View Full Version : Online Games

vanbuskirks
09-23-2009, 04:40 AM
First off, I would like to say how much I enjoy this community and this wonderful world Ubi has created. Secondly, Assassins Creed is in my eyes one of the best games of all time.

My true point to this thread to talk about online games. By online, I mean any games where players are competing against other players. To me, these games always presented the greatest challenge and I sought them out for this reason. Unfortunately, as I look back on my history of online gaming, which has spanned a good 1/2 of my life, I find that in all of the countless hours I spent leveling, practicing, learning, losing, and even exploiting I have never felt like I was successful at any of them. Though I may have winning records in fight games, or above a 1.0 k/d in shooters, or a great PvP character, it has always seemed like I failed. I decided that I felt that way for two reasons: First, I probably set my expectations too high. For every game I play online I try to learn about it as much as I can and practice as much as possible. It is always my goal to be in the top 25% of the online community in any game I play. Whether that means joining the right clan or having that perfect win record, I always pushed myself to be better only be let down. I tried to set new goals, to be less competitive and enjoy what I could, but that mindset seemed to take away what was at the heart of every online game, the competitive drive. Without that sense of competition, the game lost its luster. The second reason, which largely stems from the first, is that online games are designed with no true end point. Sure there may be a maximum level, or a certain goal, but the there is no true place where online games can roll the credits as each is designed to maintain player interest.

These two reasons may be reason that many love online games. They can relive their favorite world many times over and master all aspects. I as well appreciate this, but I find that most online games are only truly rewarding for someone who dedicates their entire selves, and free time to playing. The fact is though, that I am a college student and feel that since I cannot dedicate every ounce of my free time, specifically enough to achieve the level of success I have set for myself that online games seemingly lack a point. Though I understand this may be perfectionist's fallacy, I feel that my measure of success is by no means unrealistic. As I stated before, having a lower standard of success would ruin the experience as well. So, I find myself at a crossroads where seemingly the only answer would be to stop playing, or only play one game ever.

I understand that others are not in my predicament. They may be simply more talented or intelligent allowing them to excel in less time and to them I say kudos, but for the me, and if any of you out there agree, online games have lost all of my interest. That is why I am so grateful for game like AC and Mass Effect, they give me a sense of immersion and success. For me, feeling success in a well deisigned world has become far more satisfying than pwning noobs has ever been. If anyone cares to share their thoughts, I would appreciate it.

Charlie_Romeo
09-23-2009, 05:26 AM
i kinda know what you mean, when i play online i never really feel the same way i do when im playing throught he story, i never find it as enjoyable. But i do enjoy co-op online, like Rainbow Six Vagas 2. Online co-op on terrorist hunt is amazing its got a ending and its very challenging.
I think that why i like AC as much as i like CoD if not more, because the story is great and even tho there is no online i dont care because there is such alot of things to do i can entertain myself more than online.

Ps great post by you.

FROGGEman2
09-23-2009, 05:37 AM
That was like, the first wall of text I have ever read.

loveboof
09-23-2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah I understand what you're saying.

The main problem with online games is also their major strength!

The playablilty is unrivaled (as its technically unlimited), but your interest will always dwindle away - therefore not really leaving you wanting more.

They cannot provide any impactual climactic severance from the game.

@ Vanbuskirks, I don't think you should give them up just because you can't ever be the best if you enjoy them!
I hate to be the one to tell you - but you won't be the best at anything your whole life, so you might as well just enjoy yourself lol.

Atmon
09-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for starting this really interesting topic.

As a matter fact, the main difference is that online gaming tends to focus on competitive play. And what gives or not, a sense of accomplishment, is your own commitment or view on competitive gameplay. I like fighting game, and also a good FPS, but usually I'm also focusing on solo game.

The reason is that the story is build to make you feel that you get stronger, and you leave a mark on your world. You can believe me, AC2 has a strong story, that will make you feel more and more important and powerful through the course of the game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

vanbuskirks
09-23-2009, 11:10 AM
I want to clarify one of points in the thread starter. I understand that I will never be the 'best' in any online game situation. That's why I was specific when I said I generally strive to be in the top 1/4 of any online community, but find that even that achievement requires more hours than I can give. Whether or not the amount of time I need to be that good is directly related to my skill or intelligence is debatable, but once again, I feel like online games set it up so that if you don't achieve that level of mastery you feel like you have not been successful.

loveboof
09-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Yep, and if you enjoy playing the game - then it doesn't matter if you're in the top 1/4 of the community. Certainly isn't a reason to stop.

online games set it up so that if you don't achieve that level of mastery you feel like you have not been successful

A good game shouldn't do that. Maybe you have an inferiority complex?
- look in the mirror and tell yourself 5 positive things which you like about yourself before playing any online game... lol

keepth3beat
09-23-2009, 02:08 PM
I agree with what you're saying, though I think a lot of that competitive nature is brought on by the players themselves, and not necessarily intended by the developers. And you're right, to be considered a 'good' player within the eyes of the community you do have to devote a ridiculous amount of time to the game, time that many people don't have.

I worked as a GM for an online game company for a decent amount of time, and it's honestly sad how seriously some of these people take the games that they play. But really, in some cases, it requires you to be that serious about it because if you want to claim and kill a certain monster for loot, some games only have it pop once every handful of hours, and people will sit and wait during that entire window of time to get their hands on it.

I personally don't like online games very much because, like you said, there's essentially no end point. I like to play them occasionally for the social aspect that I don't get when I play games like AC or FF8, but essentially at that point I'm just using it as a glorified chat program, since I never play enough to keep up with my friends.

Although, strangely enough, I find playing the Pokemon games difficult in the same respect because they have a lot of that repetitive gameplay without the story payoff. Now granted, while AC1 did have a LOT of repetitive gameplay, there at least were some larger wheels at work, and I could watch that journey at my own pace, and at my own leisure, rather than needing to play during this window of time because of a raid, or because we needed to camp. ;P

Braxto
09-23-2009, 02:55 PM
Props to you, The only online game ive ever played that i thouroughly and still enjoy is Guild Wars, there cutscenes, etc have never had me bored of the world, the 2nd one will be twice as good. Anyway just my opinion, other games seem to boring after youve done everything.

vanbuskirks
09-23-2009, 07:39 PM
@loveboof: Part of my point is that it is hard to enjoy online games if you are not being successful in the 'game's' eyes, i.e. constantly getting better, higher level, etc. Like I said, other people may be more patient or enjoy a game that they are not that good at, but to me, if you are not striving for the top then you are missing a good portion of the game. Which to me, is a good reason to stop. If you can find enjoyment in certain games while not striving to be better or by not challenging the best in the game than kudos to you, but for me, I feel unsuccessful. If that frame of mind constitutes an inferiority complex to you, I suppose I understand, but typically inferiority complexes are much deeper psychological issues that lead people to being unsuccessful in their lives as a whole. I most definitely feel I have been successful in my life, so I refute your claim, sir.

loveboof
09-24-2009, 05:46 AM
well sir, my claim was only a joke - but maybe you could look into the psychology behind why you felt so defensive about the mere suggestion of any kind of inadequacy?

Personally, I'm pretty sure that I'm a bit arrogant. So I can find satisfaction in the smaller successes in games because I don't feel like they in any way undermine my overall qualities in real life http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I hope that in time (perhaps with some therapy?), you will find a more happy place http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif