PDA

View Full Version : Moranes

leitmotiv
01-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I was just playing a QMB scenario with 109E-4s vs MS406s. I was chasing a Morane in my 109, sniping at it from about 500m. I couldn't close with it. This was getting ridiculous! Everybody knows a Morane can't outrun a 109E. I started composing an angry forum posting in my head as I popped away futilely with my machine guns. Then the Morane banked and dived, and I caught up with it---perfectly positioned right above---in the catbird seat---closer, closer, ah---rats! The high speed Morane was a 109.

leitmotiv
01-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I was just playing a QMB scenario with 109E-4s vs MS406s. I was chasing a Morane in my 109, sniping at it from about 500m. I couldn't close with it. This was getting ridiculous! Everybody knows a Morane can't outrun a 109E. I started composing an angry forum posting in my head as I popped away futilely with my machine guns. Then the Morane banked and dived, and I caught up with it---perfectly positioned right above---in the catbird seat---closer, closer, ah---rats! The high speed Morane was a 109.

darkhorizon11
01-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Hah, I've had stuff like that happen to me before, I bet many trigger happy LW guys had the same trouble in France in spring 1940.

leitmotiv
01-22-2006, 05:39 PM
I love it when I am about to open fire and I can see those two fat radiators under the 109E's wings---great detail! Didn't see them this time---thrill of the hunt!

WWMaxGunz
01-22-2006, 10:11 PM
I was poking around on the net looking up the French planes and read of one that even to the
end of the war the LW was using in full German markings. They were pretty hot fighters
captured right at the start of the Battle of France.

Why would Germans use those planes when they had huge numbers of unused 109's? It couldn't
have been to fool the Allieds given the crosses they were painted with, nor the number of
years they kept using them.

JtD
01-23-2006, 09:10 AM
Many of the captured French fighters were used for secondary roles such as training. Some of the French fighters were kept in production until very late in the war (44?).