PDA

View Full Version : What are good beginner planes?

joeygil
03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm a bit out of practice, just recently getting back into flight sims (dusted off that old TrackIR).

Anyways, I found the Pacific Fighters manual to be a bit sparse, so I thought I would ask for some help.

What do you guys consider to be good beginner planes for each country, fighter and bomber? I fly mostly full realism (I'm working my way back up to complex engine controls).

I just started with a Wildcat, since I was use to it from playing CFS2 years ago, but seem to get my *** kicked a lot in the campaign mode.

Thanks

joeygil
03-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm a bit out of practice, just recently getting back into flight sims (dusted off that old TrackIR).

Anyways, I found the Pacific Fighters manual to be a bit sparse, so I thought I would ask for some help.

What do you guys consider to be good beginner planes for each country, fighter and bomber? I fly mostly full realism (I'm working my way back up to complex engine controls).

I just started with a Wildcat, since I was use to it from playing CFS2 years ago, but seem to get my *** kicked a lot in the campaign mode.

Thanks

janos71
03-27-2005, 01:59 PM
I'd say La5 or La7 when you fly as russian, Bf-109 G2 on german side (tho I hate it's poor visibility to the back). I remember I flew also Yak in the beginning.. but lately Fockewulfs. And try Spitfire perhaps?

Dawn_of_Coto
03-27-2005, 02:14 PM
I would say a La,yak,zero and spitfire would make good beginner planes until you're ready for more challenging planes.

3.JG51_BigBear
03-27-2005, 03:07 PM
If you just have Pacific Fighters, and not the FB, AEP, PF merged install, I'd recommend the Zero early war, Corsair for mid-war, and then the Ki-84 at the end. With the merged install there are a lot more beginner friendly planes like the ones already mentioned.

joeygil
03-27-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll think I might go to the F4U, since I really enjoy the carrier operations.

On a side note, you know that saying, get closer, and when you think you're too close, get even closer? That seems to result in mid-air collisions for me.

OldPepper
03-27-2005, 07:04 PM
J8A/Cr42, Hurricane MkIIb, Yak-1, B-239, Bf-109E2. (1938-1940-1)

Use CEM early (Complex Engine Management from jump street, IMO. Use Limited ammo as well unless working on gunnery only.)

A6Ms are good for flight characteristics but fragile.

Transition to Bf-109s and Spits (1940-1945) as soon as you can feel the previous birds, then go to P-47s and FW-190s (1940-1945).

If you're PF, then P-40 and Ki-43 are great planes to start. The Zero becomes the Bf-109 in more or less. F4F are not quite novice planes due to the manual gear in early years.

I don't beleive in coddling new pilots for too long in so called 'easy' planes. It's more about flying earlier planes to teach you what is precious (energy, speed, alt) and after feeling it, move on to the later 'fly-by-themselves' ultra performance planes.

kutyaxxon
03-27-2005, 07:29 PM
and don't forget the bi-1...easy to fly,fast,safe...best for stunts.

HotelBushranger
03-27-2005, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you're PF, then P-40 and Ki-43 are great planes to start. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with the P-40; a nice, easy to fly, forgiving, sturdy aircraft to fly, but the only problem with the Ki-43 is the gunsight, that stupid thing's in the way so you can't see where you're shooting.That's my only vice with it.

I never really started off in easy/beginner planes, I just jumped into whatever one I wanted and went from there, and I turned out fine. Didn't I?

Flakenstien
03-27-2005, 09:53 PM
I would have to say the A6M2, absoulutly the best for practicing manuveurs, not great in a dogfight one bullet and you light up like a match, lol

OldPepper
03-28-2005, 08:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by joeygil:
Thanks for the replies. I'll think I might go to the F4U, since I really enjoy the carrier operations. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

F4U is easy OFF the carrier, but really really hard to get back ON the carrier without augering!

Grue_
03-28-2005, 08:55 AM
Any German plane with a Mk108 cannon. I get called a n00b (and I am) whenever I manage to hit something with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF-3Thunderboy
03-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Anything with 6 guns American, but after that, its how you set up the mission. The plane doesnt really matter that much if your in a bad position to attack.Youll always get nailed. Learn how to fly and you can fly anything...

sauron6
03-29-2005, 01:55 AM
VF-3Thunderboy is correct in that, BUT... You can't fly 'anything' from the start, getting to know and getting used to the flight modelling is probably the biggest challenge for me personally in a flight sim.
I'd recommend LA's and Spitfires, both are terribly easy to fly and handle. So long as you don't spool up too fast while taxiing or brake too hard on the spit, it's like flying with training wheels and plasma cannons. Fly dogfights and get used to it. Then join a squad, a good Russian or British squad. Finally, once you've mastered the game, join a top-notch German group (or once familiar with the game, join II./JG1 [jg1.org], we've got a great training program).

WOLFMondo
03-29-2005, 02:22 AM
I'd actually avoid the La5 or La7 when learning, those planes will give you very bad habits as there pretty high performance turn and burners that while that takes skill not many planes can match there specific performance or fly like them.

I'd go for a zero, Hurricane, P40 or BF109F2/4 to start with then progress to maybe a later 109G6 or maybe a Spitfire or Mustang.

Then once you've figured your prefered flying style maybe try out a plane that takes has very individual flying characteristics i.e. FW190, P47, P38 etc.

Don't be afraid to like planes people label n00b planes, there just idiots who can't figure out how to master a plane enough to combat these.

Giganoni
03-29-2005, 02:41 AM
The B-239 for me was a great beginner plane. Very forgiving, spent most of my 83 mission Finnish campaign in that. In PF obviously the Ki-43 is very easy to handle and I think with its light armament it helps you with your marksmanship. Forces you to be patient, aim for weak points, etc.

james_owen
03-29-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm completely new to this, I've got Forgotten Battles, and I dived right into an early Russian campaign and had about 100 attempts at 12 missions in the I-16. What a piece of junk, but as I gradually mastered different tricks (like taking off, and not ground-looping into the grass!), I almost regretted giving it up for whatever the next plane is that I got. A Yak? A Mig? I dunno, need to check.

Anyway, point is, I'm a beginner, and I think I picked a fairly weedy plane to start out in, but I still had fun learning.

HotelBushranger
03-29-2005, 06:50 AM
The I-16 is a bit of a tough nut, but after I mastered it I was stickin to tails of 109s, its a pretty resourceful aircraft, just don't get it into a stall lol, that massive surface area kills ya http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

james_owen
03-29-2005, 07:46 AM
(Sorry to hijack thread, will make this my last comment)

To Bushranger: Yes, I've had two great sessions where I was able to hang onto a 109's tail for quite a while. I even impressed myself. But my gunnery is lagging behind my flying skills and I only managed to scratch their paintwork both times. Doesn't help that my Sidewinder stick is really acting true to its name, I've got one hell of a pull to the left.

To come back on topic a bit, I had a quick crack at the early BF109s and found that a much easier prospect as a starter plane. This guy's after Pacific planes though, isn't he?

Atomic_Marten
03-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Like some of guys said, if I start from scratch with this game, I will start with LA7 (watch the fuel mix state and supercharger). Easiest in many ways except one.. gunnery. Somewhat tricky, but it shouldnt be so hard to learn (MG151 and MK108s (may be)are both somewhat easier, but that may be because you cover more 'area' with Bf109s cannon+MG, but on the other hand for someone it may be hard; I'd say it's probably just a matter of practice&habit). If the gunnery is only thing that can be considered, then by far butcherbird FW190A8/9 with monster armament..

Also if you want a true 'killer' that has good handling chars, take KI84B/C (better Frank C.). You must take note that you have to switch supercharger to stage 2 on approx.2800m. Plane for pure scoring (C model). That is about it.

Spitfire? MKIXC (CW). Also you can take any of IX models (VIII arent bad either), but take note that 9C is armed with, besides 2x20mm, 4x.303s in wings unlike 9Es, which have 2x12,7mm instead of 4x.303s. You may find 2x12,7s to be better punch, but believe me with .303s you will handle easier because you got two more guns (just make sure that you fire 'em (.303s) on distances shorter than 300m http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif).

You can try also with Bf109G6A/S/10/14/K4, but you will notice it's very poor high speed elevator, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about engine management (except for setting throttle level http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif).

For early war, I'd definitely go for a Zero. All the way 'till early Pacific '43.(A6M3s are also excellent planes in game, reasonably fast, heavy punch just fragile).

On Euro theatre, of biplanes try Tchaika (I153) in M62 version (armed with nose 4x7,62mms infamous 'green lasers' http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif), they are very effective in short range, you have relatively lot of ammo and if that's not enough you can carry anti-air rockets for more fun. And yes, you will easily outturn everything except other biplanes and P.11c. Definitely worth flying on cockpit off settings, because in pit on you forward view will be somewhat obstructed. Very very rewarding plane if you ask me.
You can also try Emils (Bf109E series); their biggest advantage is that you will outrun everything (on same year planeset), and can you imagine better advantage http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif?(of course watch the MiG3s, they are insanely fast but you have IMO manouverability over them).

If you however just wan't to know what is best (taking in consider plane handling and performance), for me it is LA73x20 by far. If I can express myself in that way.

If you however play online games, you will notice that it players with good planes don't have neccesarily have better score, it's tactic that is winning the game. That is more important than player skill. If you have one LA7 versus two Bf109Ks, you wont last long (no matter how good you are) except maybe if those guys in Bf109s don't have a clue..

KGr.HH-Sunburst
03-29-2005, 08:07 AM
all Bf109s from early to late, turn with the best, climb, firepower accelleration and speed
or take a spitfire IX but that one is not as fast as late bf109s but turns and climb is good and the guns are easy to use and powerfull
Yak3 is also a good plane to start with and although good firepower it does learn you how to aim.
Ki84 for late war PF, an easy plane to fly with very good performance

P40 is to slow and climb is horrible also it wont hold its E when up against F4 and G2's so thats a nono and turns slightly worse
bu are great in BnZ against zekes

La5/7 are pretty the same as late Bf109s now
but slightly worse in E retention except La7

CAPT_COTTON
03-29-2005, 08:28 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
The pilots of WW2 were trained in AT6 Texans.
The Zero and AT6 are the same shape and platform
The AT6 had a smaller eng but it flys same and was used since WW2 to reperesent the ZERO since the only flyable model is in japan. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
So theres your trainer for the harder to handel models http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

airdale1960
03-29-2005, 08:53 AM
I saw some Zero's in the Texas Confederate Airforce, about 4 years ago. Two were the real McCoy and others were the T6, which looks very close.
The Ki-43 is good also, easy to fly.

avimimus
03-29-2005, 09:02 AM
Mig-3, once you learn to fly that plane all other aircraft will look simple and easy and once you learn how to fly a mig-3 you won't want to fly any other aircraft.

Seriously though:
Il-2
TB-3
I-153
And if you need speed, I guess there is the Bi-1.

mortoma
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
I don't know why but I never thought there was much difference from one plane to the other as far as overall difficulty to fly. And I felt that way even from the start ( IL2 demo ) all the way until now. I fly everything. One minute I might be in a Me-262, the next in a P-11C. And an hour later a Stuka, then onto a FW or maybe a P-39 or IL-2 or Brewster ( you get the picture by now ). I just fly everything. And I never find any of them hard to fly or maneuver.
But the fact that I was flying sims years and years before the IL2 demo came out may have something to do with that. Hard to say what I'd try first if I was just starting in simming. Maybe a Hurricane?? It's stable and has no bad traits and just fast enough ( but barely ) to compete in an early war setting.