PDA

View Full Version : IL-2FB Patch??

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Just wanted to know if the patch was pulled off the board-was there a couple days ago-now I can't find it. Tried other sites as well.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Just wanted to know if the patch was pulled off the board-was there a couple days ago-now I can't find it. Tried other sites as well.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 12:14 AM
They put the wrong file up by mistake. the right one should be up soon and it's something most of us have known since not long after the release.

That hasn't stopped a raft of critiques though. Probably near the LAST thing a dev team wants to hear is info on a version so many changes back, it only makes confusion and may lead to bugs added to the current working copy. But when you have a crowd of compulsives bordering on or over the disorder line there's no stopping them!

Neal

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 06:39 AM
CC-thanks

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 06:49 AM
I reckon some people have made up to hate the patch regardless.

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 08:02 AM
Max, if the developers don't want feedback on the wrong version, they shouldn't upload the wrong version in the first place.

It's really not the fault of the users who volunteer to help improve the sim (for free). And despite reading this forum every day, I have not known that it's the wrong version of the patch 'since not long after the first release', the first time I read about it was just a few days ago.

It's the well-meaning users who might feel they've been wasting their time trying to help. At least I feel this way after having sent bug reports by email, and to the thread opened for this in this forum.

On a side note, I'm still wondering why it takes several days to upload the correct version of the patch, which allegedly has been finished even since before the wrong patch was uploaded.

No hard feelings, but you're barking up the wrong tree /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Message Edited on 09/08/0307:06AM by AchimT

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 11:13 AM
How comes that they know they've put up the wrong file but cannot provide the "correct" file immediatley ?

one should think that transferring the CORRECT 40meg file to the ftp-server shouldn't take that long eh ?

Just wondering ....

XyZspineZyX
09-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Sometimes files get mixed up especially when there is a rush going on. I've done it myself before in 20 years of doing development. Anyone might imagine a totally controlled and smooth process going on at UBI and I'm sure they try but mistakes do happen and the more tightly things are controlled the harder it is to seperate out what happened, how and why when a mistake like this is made.

For example: were the other versions deleted when someone thought they had the right one? Are patches sent as compiled zips from 1C to UBI or are sources and libraries sent as seperate files that are assembled so that only the changed parts are needed to transmit to UBI? In that case, what part(s) were wrongly included in the final assembly?

Yes, surely they decided to dump a bad patch out just to test and infuriate the cutomers! It only makes sense, we all know how easy it is to just pick the right one... it's like checking the expiration date on a carton of milk isn't it? No big deal at all? A quick meeting and someone pulls the right CD from their pocket, everyone smiles, and awwwaaaay it goes! No chance there's a problem behind the problem and surely not that they will be extra careful to have the right version for sure next posting. They just call 1C or a beta tester and get the right zip sent then post that up... right?

It seems so simple, therefore it must be. It has to be a conspiracy, that is the only explanation. It was done on purpose and now they lie like rugs to avoid blame. Yes, by saying they have mistakenly posted the wrong file just to buy more time, a little mistake to cover something like taking extra time when NO ONE WAS EXPECTING THE FINAL OUT QUITE SO SOON ANYWAY. And yes that's sarcasm for clueless morons, closet paranoids and whining b!tching babies with oversimplified views of bigger things than they don't or can't begin to understand. Consider for a moment just arranging space and bandwidth for a major release... try hard there.

They made a mistake. It MAY take some time to fix. They MIGHT not have a staff spending their entire weekend over it but I'm guessing that a few of them actually have gone in to do all that must be done.

Neal