PDA

View Full Version : The XXI POLL

u2336
04-04-2005, 12:56 AM

u2336
04-04-2005, 12:56 AM
Just to know if you are like me, thinking the XXI is just an improved VII and not the totally new sub she should have been !

u2336
04-04-2005, 07:19 AM
up

CCIP
04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
I had to vote for the last option, but I just have to admit that I don't know a whole **** lot about the XXI, and I frankly have my hands full with the VII's to bother right now, and I really don't know if I totally plan to use the XXI very soon.

I am aware though that essential technical features are missing. So, any improvement on them will be good - but I really can live without the XXI, for now.

STEFOSTEF_FRANC
04-04-2005, 08:45 AM
well i'm still in 1941 in my campaign so i'll wil see the XXI may be in two month

u2336
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
two REAL months I hope http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Zmidd
04-04-2005, 09:02 AM
Well, I like the XXI the way it is. You know why? It's not so good it unbalances the game, but it is still a good boat. The only thing I would like to have (throwing historical accuracy out the window here) is a deck gun, as sometimes it comes in handy for finishing off targets that weren't worth a second torpedo, or even killing small targets that aren't even worth one. The two flak guns give you good protection against planes, the six forward tubes gave you a killer spread against a convoy, and, submerged, she is fast.

JohnDiFool1
04-04-2005, 10:01 AM
What exactly is wrong with it? I've only heard
that you can't get a solution via hydrophones
only...

u2336
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
only ??? Thats not the least thing...As it was one of the main purpose of the XXI. I dont want a XXI that is only a faster VII.

What is wrong with it :

- generic screens shared with the other types
- wrong torp reloading time (second salvo)
- no radar warning on the schnorkel
- no accurate TDC

Exactly the same problem than in SHII.
But I repeat, this issue annoys me but it seems that I am the only one so it is not important...http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
04-04-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, I just spent the morning removing the XXI from 7th and 33rd Flotillas, and I already changed the basic.dat file so that none of my commanders get the Type XXI until March 1945, so I think you can see from that what my attitude towards the XXI is. In short, I would have preferred it not to have been in the game at all. Those resources could have been better spent on perfecting the subs that DID actually play a combat role in WW2.

JohnDiFool1
04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
I don't mind the "generic" screens. No radar
detector on the schnorkel is bad news tho (I was
snorting last night north of Scotland and kept
getting buzzed by planes-wondered why the Metox
didn't go off). Could the reloads be fixed in a
.cfg file?

As for including it in the game, I am more of a
"what-if" kind of person, and on those grounds
its inclusion makes perfect sense. Hopefully
someone will mod it and make it better.

chris455
04-04-2005, 11:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Beeryus:
Well, I just spent the morning removing the XXI from 7th and 33rd Flotillas, and I already changed the basic.dat file so that none of my commanders get the Type XXI until March 1945, so I think you can see from that what my attitude towards the XXI is. In short, I would have preferred it not to have been in the game at all. Those resources could have been better spent on perfecting the subs that _DID_ actually play a combat role in WW2. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree here for the most part. I am unaware that a XXI fired a single shot in anger, but they did conduct a patrol or two. The in-game possibilities are intriguing.
In any case, if XXIs are in the game, they should have been rendered accurately, or omitted altogether. Just my 2-

u2336
04-04-2005, 12:40 PM
you are 100% right Chris !
I would have prefered no XXI than this one. SHIII is too good for that XXI http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
But, I must admit that the 3D model is prefectly accurate though !

About the operatonnal life of the XXI, they never fired a torpedo during the war (except during trainings of course)

u2336
04-05-2005, 01:29 AM
up

Deamon-
04-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Do the typXXI have an active sonar in the game ?

Deamon