PDA

View Full Version : Engine Perfomance Climatic Model Oleg ?

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:54 AM
With the 109E series being fuel injected, and the E7Z supposing to have really good performance as a result over 7000 m with the methanol injection as a result Oleg I was wondering,
Was that a step in the direction of an Engine performance climatic model or just pure Altitude model?

The reason I ask is I was doing some research on Pacific Spitfires, for my Coop series, Empire of the Sun, and discovered they where not very successful at intercepting the Japanese Air Raids on Darwin Australia at any stage of the Japanese bombing campaign of Northern Australia.

Apparently the Japanese used to cruise climb to 30,000 ft en route to target ( Darwin) the spitfires developed lots of engine problems taking off in tropical heat and dust then climbing to freezing altitudes, also the Spitfires range was short compared to the Zero.
Anyhow as a result the Spitfire had no impact on the Japanese bombing campaign as a result.
The Japanese lost the least amount of Aircraft to the Spitfire, and more spitfires where lost to engine failure and running out of fuel than to Zeros waiting for the spitfires above, surprisingly enough.

It makes you wonder about Spitfires taking off in the heat of a Russian Summer and climbing to freezing altitudes to be included as a engine perfomance Climatic flight model, for all aircraft.

S!

Message Edited on 07/20/0312:09AM by Artic_Wulf

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 12:54 AM
With the 109E series being fuel injected, and the E7Z supposing to have really good performance as a result over 7000 m with the methanol injection as a result Oleg I was wondering,
Was that a step in the direction of an Engine performance climatic model or just pure Altitude model?

The reason I ask is I was doing some research on Pacific Spitfires, for my Coop series, Empire of the Sun, and discovered they where not very successful at intercepting the Japanese Air Raids on Darwin Australia at any stage of the Japanese bombing campaign of Northern Australia.

Apparently the Japanese used to cruise climb to 30,000 ft en route to target ( Darwin) the spitfires developed lots of engine problems taking off in tropical heat and dust then climbing to freezing altitudes, also the Spitfires range was short compared to the Zero.
Anyhow as a result the Spitfire had no impact on the Japanese bombing campaign as a result.
The Japanese lost the least amount of Aircraft to the Spitfire, and more spitfires where lost to engine failure and running out of fuel than to Zeros waiting for the spitfires above, surprisingly enough.

It makes you wonder about Spitfires taking off in the heat of a Russian Summer and climbing to freezing altitudes to be included as a engine perfomance Climatic flight model, for all aircraft.

S!

Message Edited on 07/20/0312:09AM by Artic_Wulf

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 04:01 AM
Apparently the Spitfires' constant speed units would freeze at high altitudes resulting in the blades moving to horizontal position and the Merlin revving to 4000 rpm, therefore causing engine failure.