PDA

View Full Version : any TB3 bombing tips

harold x
03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
any guidance/tips on bombing targets flying TB3. I see there is a guide on the He111 but not on TB3 in airware.

Tooz_69GIAP
03-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Night bombing would be my recommendation. When online, it's difficult to spot you so you're survival chances are better. Also, try and bomb from 3,000m. It's a chore to get Big Momma up there with nearly 5 tonnes of explosives, but it means the light flak wont fire at you, which again increases your chances.

Only problem then comes with lining up the bombsight. You have to make sure your navigation is good, and you pick some obvious landmarks to get you lined up on the target. But the low speed of the TB-3 comes in here, as it allows a little more time to make those last minute adjustments before you're on target.

I've had a lot of success in TB-3s at night from 3,000m. But I've also had success flying in formations of 4-6 TB-3s in a close box. This allows a good defensive coverage of fire, and although the TB-3 is a very large target, because of it's low cruising speed, it can be difficult for some aircraft get a good shot at as they are travelling so much faster. If they try to slow down to get a bead on you, you get them in your sights, and they get shot down.

I love the TB-3, it's great fun to fly!

Ernst_Rohr
03-09-2006, 08:15 PM
The TB3 is a big fat slow moving target, but packs some decent defensive firepower and lugs a mess of ordance to target.

The biggest issue boming with the TB3 is the fixed vertical sight and manual bombing. As Tooz was saying, navigation is pretty key in the TB3.

Make sure to id the target and get some good visual markers as your coming in. Once your lined up on target (use the nose gunner to keep a good visual), run it till you can just see the target in the top of the bombsight.

Once you have the target in the sight, line it up by turning off the level stabilzer and GENTLY applying rudder to line up the target. Overcorrect the target slightly when applying rudder, then re-engage the level stabilzer.

The bombsight should slide around a little as the AC comes back to true, and you should have the target in the sight. If you dont, kick off the level stabilzer and apply rudder again, and re-engage the stabilizer.

The rudder adjustment takes some getting used to, so you may want to bump the time down a notch till you get comfortable with it. Just remember to GENTLY apply rudder. You dont want to apply to much, or your bomber will start to bank, and you will lose the sight.

Bombing in the TB3 takes more work that other bombers, but I think it makes it a little more rewarding to really blast a target in the AC.

Praetorian_Elite
03-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Ernst_Rohr:
The TB3 is a big fat slow moving target, but packs some decent defensive firepower and lugs a mess of ordance to target.

The biggest issue boming with the TB3 is the fixed vertical sight and manual bombing. As Tooz was saying, navigation is pretty key in the TB3.

Make sure to id the target and get some good visual markers as your coming in. Once your lined up on target (use the nose gunner to keep a good visual), run it till you can just see the target in the top of the bombsight.

Once you have the target in the sight, line it up by turning off the level stabilzer and GENTLY applying rudder to line up the target. Overcorrect the target slightly when applying rudder, then re-engage the level stabilzer.

The bombsight should slide around a little as the AC comes back to true, and you should have the target in the sight. If you dont, kick off the level stabilzer and apply rudder again, and re-engage the stabilizer.

The rudder adjustment takes some getting used to, so you may want to bump the time down a notch till you get comfortable with it. Just remember to GENTLY apply rudder. You dont want to apply to much, or your bomber will start to bank, and you will lose the sight.

Bombing in the TB3 takes more work that other bombers, but I think it makes it a little more rewarding to really blast a target in the AC.

I think it takes less work then other bombers. I have tried using the HE-111 and the B-25 and the TB-3 seems the most simple out of all.

Maybe it's just me though.

xTHRUDx
03-09-2006, 11:56 PM
the TB-3 has no rudder trim to "steer" the sight while in level stab as with the other planes. a work around for this is to use your engines to steer the sight while on level stab. it works just as good. select left side and throttle back a bit or the right side, you get the idea.