PDA

View Full Version : LEGIT backup

MajinDan
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Hello, I have a perfectly legal, self purchased copy of SHIII. I've been reading just tidbits of virtual drives and people making a backup of their game dvd. I also read in the EULA that I "agreed" to NOT backup the game. I thought it was LEGAL here in the U.S. for archival if you own the disc...which I certainly do. I would rather not handle the original disc when I could just make a back up copy and use that. I don't want to offend anyone, just asking what program would be good to do this to get around that pesky starforce...I CAN PROVIDE RECEIPT SCANS IF I MUST UBI...

MajinDan
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Hello, I have a perfectly legal, self purchased copy of SHIII. I've been reading just tidbits of virtual drives and people making a backup of their game dvd. I also read in the EULA that I "agreed" to NOT backup the game. I thought it was LEGAL here in the U.S. for archival if you own the disc...which I certainly do. I would rather not handle the original disc when I could just make a back up copy and use that. I don't want to offend anyone, just asking what program would be good to do this to get around that pesky starforce...I CAN PROVIDE RECEIPT SCANS IF I MUST UBI...

Black-Phoenix
04-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Just handle the DVD carefully and put it back in it's container when you are done with it. It's not that big of a deal. I've got CDs from games that first came out on CDs in perfect condition in a CD tower and even some 5.25's hiding somewhere in a box including that old red one for the Com64 "Red Storm Rising" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Hertston
04-02-2005, 04:59 AM
Patronising rubbish... DVDs are susceptible to scratches and accidents however carefully you try and handle them. Why do you think all media (DVDs, hard-drives, whatever) are backed up at least twice in the real-world?

However, the era of making legit copies of games has gone, and we just have to live with it. I wouldn't mind if it actually prevented piracy, but 99% of that these days is by download, not copied and cracked disks. Like Starforce, all it achieves is annoying legitimate purchasers.