PDA

View Full Version : Bomb delay

btasm
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM
Can anyone give me a short description of how to employ the bomb delay. In other words, how long should the delay be set for, let's say, a standard level bombing run. Thanks.

saipan1972
05-04-2011, 04:49 PM
3 sec is nice. but if your in a grp. make sure whoever is behind u knows.

Sillius_Sodus
05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Depending on your altitude, 0 secs could work. Just make sure the bomb falls for at least two seconds before hitting the ground although this will be changed in the next patch from TD.

I generally use a delay of two seconds.

btasm
05-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Just 3 seconds? The bomb would be exploding in mid-air. Aren't there any contact bombs? I can't figure the Il-2 bomb thing at all.

thefruitbat
05-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Bomb delay is how long it takes for your bomb to explode AFTER contact.

Set your delay to 0, and they will explode on contact, which is fine for high/mid level bombing.

However, if you are low level/skip bombing which is basically in anything without a bombsight, you will want to set a delay, so you have time to clear the area, so your own bomb doesn't take you down, which it will with the bigger bombs.

On top of this, you have to remember that a bomb needs to fall for at least 2 seconds, otherwise it won't arm, and will not explode regardless of whatever bomb delay you've set.

If your flying straight and level, this equates to about 40m. If you have any downwards velocity at all, you will need to be higher.

Zeus-cat
05-09-2011, 05:01 PM
You are confusing bomb delay with bomb arming. It takes 2 seconds for bombs to arm.

When a bomb is dropped a mechanism (usually a little propeller type mechanism) is activated which arms the bomb after a few seconds of dropping through the air. This makes the bomb safer for the aircraft carrying it.