PDA

View Full Version : bullets and propellors

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
hello everyone

long time reader, but not poster here
just a simple question..
i know about firing bullets timing between props + such, but was it ever common for enemy fire bullets to hit the propellor + break it? just curious, especially with earlier propellors + the forces involved

cheerio,
robz

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 11:42 PM
hello everyone

long time reader, but not poster here
just a simple question..
i know about firing bullets timing between props + such, but was it ever common for enemy fire bullets to hit the propellor + break it? just curious, especially with earlier propellors + the forces involved

cheerio,
robz

XyZspineZyX
11-12-2003, 11:44 PM
sorry, think this should have been in general discussion
apologies

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 04:13 AM
No, it's something Oleg might view as a challenge to model.

The only reference I have ever seen to this relates to the Spitfire:

"An experiment which it is thought was not adopted extensively was the armouring of the leading edge of the Rotol airscrew's Jablo wood- composite blades, which though lighter than metal ones were prone to splintering easily upon impact from bullets or shell fragments.
A mild steel sheath was fitted along the leading edge of each blade (except the tip which was brass) and wire reinforcement incorporated over the mid section. Careful tests on a Spitfire VC showed that propellor efficiency was cut by 3% which led to a reduction in max.speed of 5 mph together with a slightly decreased climb rate and ceiling."

So it was obviously acknowledged that from time to time blades got damaged by this means. However, I remember someone posting that metal blades served simply to deflect most rounds which struck them.

I would imagine that losing a chunk of a wooden blade would manifest itself as severe engine vibration, which to the pilot would be indistinguishable from a piston/conrod failure.
I don't think this can be modelled at present. The programme would need to plot the position of every propellor blade and the trajectory of every bullet- and propellor blades would have to have their own damage model.

However, blade failure due to bullet (or cannon shell)strike is something that common sense tells you must have occurred during combat. Perhaps we'll see it in the next sim?

XyZspineZyX
11-13-2003, 05:38 AM
Ever see pics of B-17's comeing home from missions? It was rather common to simply have holes through prop blades!!!

Yes, it would be a nice addition, if that had been in from the start i would have gotten about 10-20 more kills in my carrer so far....and maybe been fragged about 5 times..,lol

Would be nice to see