PDA

View Full Version : Carrier take off (Seafire)

jbrunner
08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Hi - I have a weird problem. Been learning the game last couple weeks and doing OK so far. I did Zeuscat's training missions (excellent!) and have gotten decent at carrier takeoffs and landings.

However, there seems to be a problem with the Seafire. Whenever I try to take off, I immediately send the nose straight into the deck, breaking the prop!

I have no idea what is going on here. I have released the chocks, even let AI set the flaps, tried different throttle speeds. Is there something I am missing? Or can anyone offer hints? I've had no problems with other planes, even ones fully loaded with bombs.

WTE_Galway
08-21-2008, 01:07 AM
It really sounds to me like something is applying the brakes

lesterhawksby
08-21-2008, 02:20 AM
It's much easier to do that with the Seafire than others, for some reason. I usually trim back a spot, and chocks away at about 70% throttle before building up. If you can get past that initial nose dip the thing just wants to be in the air... but if you can't, you get through a lot of propellers.

blairgowrie
08-21-2008, 05:34 AM
You need to set elevator trim in the nose high position for the Seafire.

gorkyporky
08-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Make sure its trimmed up. I always trim up, but not full, about 50% and put the throttle on 100% with WEP on. Then i release the chokes. And lock that tailwheel. Even with all of this, it still dips at the end of the carrier. But i do usualy take of from stationary carriers.

buzzsaw1939
08-21-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by WTE_Galway:
It really sounds to me like something is applying the brakes

Or dropping the hook!

I normaly set one notch up on elevator trim (you have a gauge) release back pressure on the stick as you excelerate, just don't force it!

stathem
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Yeah thinking about watching some AI Seafires take off in my campaign (went back to have a crack at it a year after I built it) Seafires fly the tail as soon as the chock is released. Maybe at full throttle there's enough draft to lift it?

I'm also convinced that somewhere I've seen real footage of Seafires taking off and that they did indeed do that (tail up as soon as they start to move forward)

jbrunner
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a try, especially with the trim.

general_kalle
08-21-2008, 03:02 PM
its simple. the seafire simply has a powerful engine comapared to its waight. easyist plane to land and take off i think.

Blindman-
08-21-2008, 07:44 PM
After a few time of having this problem I simply held the stick half way back uptil I felt the tail raising, then slowly let the stick go forward until I was horizontal. This works well for me.

KrashanTopolova
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
lock the tailwheel; <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">gradually</span> power on before or instantaneously after releasing chocks (there is your problem at full power with a small track undercarriage); takeoff with or without flaps.

This is an alternative technique to using trim and full power at chocks away.

This nose over thing for the Spit is real life but only modelled on the deck not on the ground.

Perhaps il-2 were trying to infer shipboard conditions.

WTE_Galway
08-22-2008, 02:09 AM
ah yes the seafire ....

Historically not easy to land either http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Supermarine-Seafire/sea-info/image6.gif

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/AC/aircraft/Supermarine-Seafire/sea-info/image3.gif

wags94
08-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Well i dunno about real-life records, but in PF I think the Seafire is the Easiest to land.