PDA

View Full Version : Focke Wulf wheels

ROXunreal
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Is there a historical background to the downright ******ed endurance of the FW190's wheels? I mean it's practically the only plane that that will break its wheels on 4 out of five off-runway takeoffs, I don't even need to mention field landings. Once you're above 120 it's good, but around from 50 to 120kmh it feels like riding a rodeo, other planes do this much better.

na85
12-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:
Is there a historical background to the downright ******ed endurance of the FW190's wheels? I mean it's practically the only plane that that will break its wheels on 4 out of five off-runway takeoffs, I don't even need to mention field landings. Once you're above 120 it's good, but around from 50 to 120kmh it feels like riding a rodeo, other planes do this much better.

First of all: I don't think the FW190 was designed for off-runway take-offs, so when you do that you're forcing it out of its comfort zone.

Secondly, try full landing flaps, it helps me sometimes.

Romanator21
12-10-2009, 09:52 PM
Don't be lazy...take the extra 15 seconds to taxi to the runway http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The IAR-80 also has weaker wheels to my knowledge, and the Mc.202 tends to nose over very easily as well.

Ba5tard5word
12-10-2009, 10:40 PM
I've never had trouble with it. Maybe don't drive off the runway.

julian265
12-10-2009, 10:54 PM
I've never had any trouble with it either, off or on the runway.

jamesblonde1979
12-11-2009, 02:41 AM
I use the runway in it, it's too sluggish for my meagre off-road skills.

AndyJWest
12-11-2009, 06:30 AM
As everyone has said, use the runways, or at least a taxiway.

For landing in the feild, gear up is almost always safer, unless you are landing on a level road. I doubt if anyone would attempt to land one wheels down except on a runway in real life.

Gammelpreusse
12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by ROXunreal:

The 190 in game lacks low speed acceleration. That is why it takes so darn long to get to speed, which is especially dangerous on grass, as the really bumpy range from 50 to 180kmh takes considerably longer then in other planes.

As others pointed out, use the runway.

Ba5tard5word
12-11-2009, 10:00 AM
The game makes non-runway surfaces ridiculously bumpy. You should be able to take off smoothly from a field. In Rise of Flight there are no proper tarmacs or even the beaten-down grass you see in some Il-2 airfields, but you can take off and land from fields without the ridiculous bumpiness in Il-2. It's a little bumpy and noisy, but you won't bounce up and down like in Il-2.

R_Target
12-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Oleg's pogo-stick tailwheel strikes again...

Gibbage1
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
The FW-190 is a first-gen aircraft, in that its one of the few aircraft to be around from the start. Since then, there have been a lot of updates and new aircraft, like shock absorbers. Some of the older aircraft didnt get retro-fitted with the shock absorbers, so things get bumpy with them.

Like everyone said, use the runway.