PDA

View Full Version : For the benefit of RRG

GonFlying
02-21-2007, 02:58 AM
I'm sure we all appreciate the work that went into creating the plane guide that came with the bonus DVD of "1946". However to be blunt, it's riddled with mistakes, which worries me a bit because of the "historical accuracy" that we get told about all the time. Examples;

Japanese; A6M5a had no 13mm machine gun, but 2x7.7mm.
A6M5c WAS heavily armed with 2x20mm cannon and 3x13mm machine guns, just the opposite to it's description in the guide.
N1K1-J and N1K2-J; none of these were ever armed with 4x20mm cannon AND 4x7.7mm machine guns. Some of the early N1K1-J's had 4 cannon and 2x 7.7mm machine guns, but the light weapons were soon phased out.
Ki-61 series; aside from early variants deployed to New Guinea in 1943, the majority of following Ki-61's employed 2x20 cannon, along with 2x13mm machine guns. The machine guns were often removed to enable the aircraft to perform better at altitude.

German; It would seem that the Fw-190D9 is the best piston-engined fighter IN THE GAME, but that is only because the Griffon-engined Spitfire X1V was completely ignored!
Gustav's (Bf109G)and Fw190A's were routinely swatted from the skies on the WESTERN FRONT in 1943 by the RAF and USAAF flying Spitfires, Typhoons, P-47's and P-51's. The Fw190A did not "rule supreme" in the west, aside from a relatively short period between the Spitfire V and appearance of the 1X. Gustav's had a particularly harrowing time, even in 1943.

British; Aside from no descriptions with the Mosquito FB.V1 and Tempest, for whatever reason, the P-39 was NOT heavily used by the RAF, in fact just the opposite.

Russian; The La-7 and Yak 9 were not the only fighters that could handle the Fw-190D9, Spitfire X1V's, Tempests and P-51D's could all cope with the German fighter at most altitudes. The Spitfire X1V was actually a little faster even though it saw service in mid 1944, and it was much easier to fly.

The majority of IL-2's (exception the 37mm cannon model) didn't have the hitting power of the Hawker Typhoon (not included in the game).

I must admit that if RRG are involved in BoB, then it worries me a little.........

JG53Frankyboy
02-21-2007, 04:44 AM
well, about almost the half of the whole Ki-61 production was of these earlier types...... and only ~388 of them were armed with the german MG151/20 (only 800 guns were deliverd to japan) in its wings.
the other half, true, had japanese Ho-5 canons in the nose. but unfortunatly we have not these variant in game http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

anyway, you are correct , this "aircraft manual.pdf" thing is full of errors http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

mrsiCkstar
02-21-2007, 04:46 AM
if I recall the plane guide was originally made by a community member and it's quite old... I remember someone asking for it here on behalf of RRG... but they didn't make it.. don't know what that means to you but anyway.

DaBestHawk_69th
02-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Hmmmmm

Thanks guys. I was going to read it but thanks to you 2 I wont have to.

Great info.

DaBestHawk

BlitzPig_DDT
02-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Gustav's (Bf109G)and Fw190A's were routinely swatted from the skies on the WESTERN FRONT in 1943

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Great, just what we need, another hollywood "expert".

JG52Karaya-X
02-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by BlitzPig_DDT:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Gustav's (Bf109G)and Fw190A's were routinely swatted from the skies on the WESTERN FRONT in 1943

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Great, just what we need, another hollywood "expert". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

XyZspineZyX
02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by GonFlying:
I'm sure we all appreciate the work that went into creating the plane guide that came with the bonus DVD of "1946". However to be blunt, it's riddled with mistakes, which worries me a bit because of the "historical accuracy" that we get told about all the time. Examples;

Japanese; A6M5a had no 13mm machine gun, but 2x7.7mm.
A6M5c WAS heavily armed with 2x20mm cannon and 3x13mm machine guns, just the opposite to it's description in the guide.
N1K1-J and N1K2-J; none of these were ever armed with 4x20mm cannon AND 4x7.7mm machine guns. Some of the early N1K1-J's had 4 cannon and 2x 7.7mm machine guns, but the light weapons were soon phased out.
Ki-61 series; aside from early variants deployed to New Guinea in 1943, the majority of following Ki-61's employed 2x20 cannon, along with 2x13mm machine guns. The machine guns were often removed to enable the aircraft to perform better at altitude.

German; It would seem that the Fw-190D9 is the best piston-engined fighter IN THE GAME, but that is only because the Griffon-engined Spitfire X1V was completely ignored!
Gustav's (Bf109G)and Fw190A's were routinely swatted from the skies on the WESTERN FRONT in 1943 by the RAF and USAAF flying Spitfires, Typhoons, P-47's and P-51's. The Fw190A did not "rule supreme" in the west, aside from a relatively short period between the Spitfire V and appearance of the 1X. Gustav's had a particularly harrowing time, even in 1943.

British; Aside from no descriptions with the Mosquito FB.V1 and Tempest, for whatever reason, the P-39 was NOT heavily used by the RAF, in fact just the opposite.

Russian; The La-7 and Yak 9 were not the only fighters that could handle the Fw-190D9, Spitfire X1V's, Tempests and P-51D's could all cope with the German fighter at most altitudes. The Spitfire X1V was actually a little faster even though it saw service in mid 1944, and it was much easier to fly.

The majority of IL-2's (exception the 37mm cannon model) didn't have the hitting power of the Hawker Typhoon (not included in the game).

I must admit that if RRG are involved in BoB, then it worries me a little.........

I should think you need to find out who wrote the guide before you skewer the guilty party

The written form of Japanese has actually changed since the war. Not many people realise this. Not very many present-day Japanese can easily read some of their own language from 1945. This has caused trouble with such things as resorations of A6Ms. German planes...well, you almost seem to be comparing planes on a one vs one, dogfight arena basis, which is not very historical to begin with. The late mark Spits were not left out to allow the Blue side an advantage. You know this http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The RAF - P-39 connection...I can't understand that either. Some misunderstanding by the guide-maker and what went where under lend-lease i assume. It is entirely possible that Great Britian actually purchased good numbers of P-39s, but they went to other Allies instead of Britian

In any case, I think you'll find that neither "Oleg" nor RRG wrote that guide

-HH-Quazi
02-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Even so, isn't it their responsibility to oversee the information included with their final release? Or do you think it was out of their hands and something Ubi wanted to include with the sims release? Bottomline, it was someones responsibility, between the three, to ensure the information in the guide is correct, I would think.

XyZspineZyX
02-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by -HH-Quazi:
Even so, isn't it their responsibility to oversee the information included with their final release? Or do you think it was out of their hands and something Ubi wanted to include with the sims release? Bottomline, it was someones responsibility, between the three, to ensure the information in the guide is correct, I would think.

Is this in response to me?

Where exactly do I say any of this is OK?

My first statement is: find the correct guilty party

Next I give some reasons why there's confusion

Last, I point out why a statement made in the guide confuses me, too

So where do I excuse the screw-ups?

-HH-Quazi
02-22-2007, 05:02 PM
It was just a general question on the topic, not put toward any one particular person.