PDA

View Full Version : 1st thigns ive noticed after patchage

The_Great_Stonk
11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
stuck myself in a QMB, 4 he111's and me in an f4u-c1 1st thing in noticed was how i could actually see the bombers, nice crisp dots int he distance instead of smeard blips that could have just been dust on my monitor hehe, secondly, during the fight, i switched my engine up to 120% mix (like i usually do) and all of a sudden my engine starts losing revs and chugging and jumping all over the place, exactly as if it were drowning itself! after i had done a few tests regarding this it seems mixture is now handled a little better, at high speeds i could run 120% mix without the engine complaining, but when my speed began to drop (eg, the top of a zoom climb into a hammer head) the engine wasnt having any of it, i actually stalled the motor at one point because i didnt switch it back to 100% fast enough.

i also found in a f4f3 that it was chugging at 100% mixture too above 3000m and i had to switch it down to 80% to get a smooth enigine again. i like it, adds a new depth to engine managment.

what have you found new ?

The_Great_Stonk
11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
stuck myself in a QMB, 4 he111's and me in an f4u-c1 1st thing in noticed was how i could actually see the bombers, nice crisp dots int he distance instead of smeard blips that could have just been dust on my monitor hehe, secondly, during the fight, i switched my engine up to 120% mix (like i usually do) and all of a sudden my engine starts losing revs and chugging and jumping all over the place, exactly as if it were drowning itself! after i had done a few tests regarding this it seems mixture is now handled a little better, at high speeds i could run 120% mix without the engine complaining, but when my speed began to drop (eg, the top of a zoom climb into a hammer head) the engine wasnt having any of it, i actually stalled the motor at one point because i didnt switch it back to 100% fast enough.

i also found in a f4f3 that it was chugging at 100% mixture too above 3000m and i had to switch it down to 80% to get a smooth enigine again. i like it, adds a new depth to engine managment.

what have you found new ?

brasil66
11-18-2004, 03:33 PM
THis is kind of a boring NEW thing....but the game loads about 2x as fast now. Used to take about 45 sec from icon click to main screen. Now it takes about 20sec and there is no longer a long pause at 25%, etc.

Its nice. I love this game. Guess I should to REALLY learn to fly. Meaning....with complex engine management.

brasil66
11-18-2004, 03:43 PM
New water crash effect. WOW! Just crashed my Tony and the splash was faburific! I swear I got a bit wet....but then..that happens sometimes with this game.

Tony's roll rate is much improved.

RocketDog
11-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Yep - the big splashes are fantastic.

Regards,

RocketDog.

BaldieJr
11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
SCREENSHOTS PLEASE http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

CHDT
11-18-2004, 04:24 PM
It simply looks like one of the best patches ever http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Stutters and freezes are all but totally gone now. And I've getting better frame rates to boot over the islands and on carriers.

All-in-all, a fantastic patch.

CHDT
11-18-2004, 04:43 PM
May I say that I prefer the water in directX excellent than in OpenGL perfect: simply amazing!

Btw, there's now wind noise with open cockpits!

And it seems also that motor melange are much more important now!

CHDT
11-18-2004, 04:47 PM
http://img59.exs.cx/img59/9094/IL2M_W041119_001915_C04102300361698.jpg

"Excellent" is simply perfect for me http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The_Great_Stonk
11-18-2004, 05:20 PM
indeed, im liking what theyve done to the water, in perfect mode with water=0 it looks so much better now, the splashes and new effects are awsome.

has anybody felt a change in flight physics ? ive found it very easy to bleed off my speed now, its easier to bleed your energy at low throttle, yet im still getting awsome zoom climbs at max power from the good energy fighting machines out there. i also stalled the wildcat for the 1st time :O

RocketDog
11-18-2004, 05:27 PM
CHDT, is that what you see in "excellent"? All I have is the usual featureless purple sheet.

Regards,

RocketDog.

Corsair9
11-18-2004, 05:44 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Great_Stonk:

what have you found new ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MIXTURE?

Are you talking about engine manifold pressure or Boost? Mixture is usually a lean - rich adjustment, or auto-rich.

If you're talking about manifold pressure, there is a blurb in the readme about Maddox modeling "cylinder pressure". I think they're talking about BMEP or Brake Mean Effective Pressure. If you over-boost a piston engine at a low RPM, you can easily blow a cylinder (jug) right off the case.

In real life, for American aircraft with constant-speed props, you MUST make SURE you have adequate RPM on the engine before you start pushing the throttle to the stops. Overboost for too long and BOOM!! There goes your engine.

Tater-SW-
11-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Mine looks like that in excellent with opengl, ati 9800 pro. Excellent looks like perfect, ahven't even turned perfect on, not sure i'd bother, lol.

tater

CHDT
11-18-2004, 05:49 PM
@Rocketdog: yes, it's the sea on excellent with dx9.

Very high fps's and a realistic rendering of the waves I do like!

It's also very fine in perfect opengl, but less fluid and I must say I prefer the waves look in dx.

CHDT
11-18-2004, 05:51 PM
About mixture, I tried as usual to put 120% on my Hellcat near the ground and suddenly, kof, kof http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

The_Great_Stonk
11-18-2004, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Corsair9:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The_Great_Stonk:

what have you found new ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

MIXTURE?

Are you talking about engine manifold pressure or Boost? Mixture is usually a lean - rich adjustment, or auto-rich.

If you're talking about manifold pressure, there is a blurb in the readme about Maddox modeling "cylinder pressure". I think they're talking about BMEP or Brake Mean Effective Pressure. If you over-boost a piston engine at a low RPM, you can easily blow a cylinder (jug) right off the case.

In real life, for American aircraft with constant-speed props, you MUST make SURE you have adequate RPM on the engine before you start pushing the throttle to the stops. Overboost for too long and BOOM!! There goes your engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed, i believe that is what is being portrayed, on rich settings (rich for your altitude that is) at slower speeds (and low prop rpm) the engine starts to violently splutter, with the manifold pressure guage bouncing all over the place, this can be solved by either throttling back, or leaning out the mixture, if you dont you can stall the engine, although i havent taken noticable engine damage from this new feature yet.

TacticalYak3
11-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Seems like a really good job!

OK, did notice that none of the .ntrk tracks nolonger play. Did I miss mention of this in the readme maybe?

The visibility of dots is very (very) good - great contrast. Oleg just saved my eyes. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Loads and runs faster. Been playing on Excellent mode, was was getting in a certain QMB test @60 fps. Same mission now peaks over 100 during fly-bys. Whatsup? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Definitely will take another look at Perfect later on.

I noticed Oleg said campaign lengths in the Pacific theatre cannot be shorten in the [DGEN] parameters. Does anyone know whether the flight paths can/have been shorten in DGEN campaigns?

Flak is better.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

CHDT
11-18-2004, 06:02 PM
Btw, I see now the shadows of the clouds on the sea even on excellent!

xTHRUDx
11-18-2004, 06:06 PM
more bent props on landings now and the cables still stretch too far. at least they still give you credit even though you bent your prop, that's new.

Athosd
11-18-2004, 06:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHDT:
Btw, I see now the shadows of the clouds on the sea even on excellent! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No patch yet - at work (sigh) - but cloud shadows on the sea are present in excellent mode for previous versions (according to my dodgey memory anyway).

SkyChimp
11-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Mine was playing great for a while. Now I'm getting extended freezes, and spontaneous reboots of my system followed by a message that "Windows Has Just Recovered From A Serious Error." Also having graphics problems, too.

chris455
11-18-2004, 07:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CHDT:
May I say that I prefer the water in directX excellent than in OpenGL perfect: simply amazing!

Btw, there's now wind noise with open cockpits!

And it seems also that motor melange are much more important now! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't hear any wind. You sure 'bout that one?

Mjollnir111675
11-18-2004, 07:52 PM
anyone notice the marines/soldiers manning shore guns??

AnalFissure
11-18-2004, 07:55 PM
MUZZLE FLASHES ARE FIXED!

TRACER SMOKE IS TRANSPARENT!

BSS_Goat
11-18-2004, 08:27 PM
You can also see the fleet from a distance w/o zooming in !!

Buzzer1
11-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Other things...or already mentioned...

Other AC are now much bigger dots - guess that is to provide equal terms for low-res and high-res gamers. Might be a bit too easy to spot imho.
Ships are seen faaaaar away:
http://home.online.no/~ru-hauga/artimages/1.jpg
Clouds drawing distance increased.
Earlier I could see distant shadows from the clouds - but not the clouds itself:
http://home.online.no/~ru-hauga/artimages/2.jpg
Shadows on the CVs!!
http://home.online.no/~ru-hauga/artimages/3.jpg

Lots more I guess...

chris455
11-18-2004, 08:39 PM
The splashes in water are now simply world-class. And I really like the way planes sink so realistically when ditched.

It is, however, still far too easy to loose an engine, or controls, from even 1 or 2 rifle caliber hits.

My game is now running faster (37 fps BD) and lookng better than ever, esp. with the new .exe routine.

But all in all, worth the wait.

LEXX_Luthor
11-18-2004, 09:57 PM
Buzz you can control the Dot sizes in "rcu" file with dotrange settings to whatever you think is
"realistic" or easy for your eyes. You find the New Big Dots gradually shrink with range -- dependent on DOT range setting --
and with distance become Classic FB micro~dots. This must be THE FEATURE of this Patch.

Test Runways are the Prime Feature of FP 3.0 ... now we
can create campaign using western third of Lvov map. Awsum ~sweet~ indeed.

actionhank1786
11-19-2004, 01:27 AM
This patch is awesome!
I say we post new things we discover.
Tonight (this isnt a new feature by the way, although it may have been tweaked) i was taking the A6mN Rufe up against some B-17d's and i dove on them...and ripped off both wing floats, then as i strafed them, they shot off my centerline float...so i was SOL in terms of landing...
I love this game even more now!

9th_simplex
11-19-2004, 01:55 AM
Hi...

sounds good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Have you guys installed the patch AND the patch_m.exe (2nd file)? I am interested in what this file really affects before i apply it...

Cheers

CPS_Shadow
11-19-2004, 02:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 9th_simplex:
Hi...

sounds good http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Have you guys installed the patch AND the patch_m.exe (2nd file)? I am interested in what this file really affects before i apply it...

Cheers <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Most noticable effect of the second exe for me was load time. It feels like it cut it in half.

Some people are having graphics problems with it, but if it gives you problems either follow the instructions on how to fix them or just go back to using the other exe.

MA_Moby
11-19-2004, 02:48 AM
did a quick test last night

water effects improved on excellent settings

the FPS seemed slightly worse with my setup http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif - some juddering on 'excellent', and a total freeze on 'perfect' - it ran smoother before

and enemy aircraft were much easier to spot, showing up bold even in early morning mist, and haze conditions, and from quite a distance away - not sure if I really liked that - not very realistic at all. in fact a bit of a step backwards in game play