PDA

View Full Version : ME-262 Engine Problems

nyc.mac07
08-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I have a problem with the ME-262 (In forgotten battles), after i start the engines, as soon as i apply power, the starboard (right) engine catches fire. Why is this?

nyc.mac07
08-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Hi,

I have a problem with the ME-262 (In forgotten battles), after i start the engines, as soon as i apply power, the starboard (right) engine catches fire. Why is this?

LEBillfish
08-12-2007, 10:03 AM
As upon start up, start both, and leave at 0 throttle. Wait till RPM's build and stabilize, then accelerate slowly...(move the throttle slowly).......Never drop or raise the throttle quickly in this plane, and be cautious of % till the plane has some speed keeping it between 80-85% till over 300kmh.

WOLFPLAYER2007
08-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Dont raise your throttle to quickly or you will be barbecue.

leitmotiv
08-12-2007, 11:41 AM
The early turbojets exploded or burst into flames when accelerated like piston aircraft. German 262 pilots were trained to gradually apply power. You can abruptly chop the throttles to your heart's content, but the problem is you will have to slowly apply power to recover speed.

Thus, in early German turbos, when you go into battle, don't touch your throttles. Make slashing attacks, don't stay and turn. If an Allied fighter gets on your tail, fly level and you will pull away from him (unless he has altitude advantage---in this case, dive away from the fighter at full throttle).

FluffyDucks2
08-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Slowly spool up to full power for take off once you reach 400 k+ drop back to 92% AND LEAVE IT THERE!

Don't slow down EVER or you will be toast...keep speed high and NOTHING can touch you http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif(fantasy a/c excepted of course)

Taylortony
08-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Unless a patch has fixed it, little cheat, if you have the likes of a separate throttle, ie an X45 etc.... Put the throttle to 100% power and leave it there, now start the engine and it will spool up slowly to 100% without the problems of bursting into flames http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Zeus-cat
08-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Ignore the engine overheat message on takeoff. Once in the air keep your speed high and the engine won't overheat. Lose speed and the danged things cook themselves in a hurry.

There are only two ways to cool off a 262 engine. Reduce throttle (almost always a bad idea in combat) or by increasing speed and thereby increasing the airflow through the engine. Unfortunately, to increase speed you usually have to increase power which adds even more heat to the engine. The 262 has horrible acceleration so go into a shallow dive until your airspeed increases to the point the engines cool off.

NeuralTech
08-13-2007, 07:31 AM
This is very interesting. I was going to start a thread about the jets and ask why they're so hard to fly...?...

NOW, I know why my 262's engines were bursting into flames... lol. I do NOT understand why the 262 and the P-80 (the only 2 jets I've flown in the game) are SO slow...

They're jets.... why don't they haul major arse? I understand that maybe the engines need some time to get going, but once you hit 200mph for instance, why doesn't it start picking up like crazy???

Didn't the 262 and P80 go like 550-650mph??? They don't feel realistic to me at all, but know that I'm not a real pilot, so..

I even tried diving with it and didn't pick up much speed at all.... come to think of it.. most of the planes take FOREVER to gain speed when I'm in a full frontal dive - makes no sense to me... every other sim I've ever played doesn't take that long to gain speed when performing a 90 degree dive.

MrMojok
08-13-2007, 07:36 AM
NeuralTech-

I'm not sure what the problem is. Given enough time, you should be able to make the 262 do about 530mph in a straight line.

Galland said, and people in this thread will vouch for it in-game, best to work the throttle up to a certain point and leave it there.

(the 'certain point' being something like 93% in this game).

If i remember right I got it to do about 535mph on Crimea map, at maybe 15,000 feet.

Von_Rat
08-13-2007, 08:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeuralTech:
This is very interesting. I was going to start a thread about the jets and ask why they're so hard to fly...?...

NOW, I know why my 262's engines were bursting into flames... lol. I do NOT understand why the 262 and the P-80 (the only 2 jets I've flown in the game) are SO slow...

They're jets.... why don't they haul major arse? I understand that maybe the engines need some time to get going, but once you hit 200mph for instance, why doesn't it start picking up like crazy???

Didn't the 262 and P80 go like 550-650mph??? They don't feel realistic to me at all, but know that I'm not a real pilot, so..

I even tried diving with it and didn't pick up much speed at all.... come to think of it.. most of the planes take FOREVER to gain speed when I'm in a full frontal dive - makes no sense to me... every other sim I've ever played doesn't take that long to gain speed when performing a 90 degree dive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the 262 is very fast in this game. just keep it level until your well over 500kph and then go into a gentle hi speed climb. when your in a fight try not letting your speed drop much below 500kph and you'll find that it'll pickup speed again fast.

in a nutshell, once you get up to speed never slow down again till its time to land. no tight turns, and only gentle climbs, unless your zoom climbing with a ton of E.

you can even fight on the deck if you want, but id recommend doing that only above 700kph.

NeuralTech
08-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I'll try her out again tonight, but I remember sitting there at level flight about to fall asleep waiting for it to even hit 300 mph.... it was taking forever, so I end up climing and trying to dive to make up speed.

I'll try again, but I swear it wouldn't go above 300 when I was flying level - I'll try again, most likely (correction, had to be) user error.

I figured the jet planes would be the "easiest" to fly though.... the P-51 is MUCH easier imo.

Matz0r
08-13-2007, 01:01 PM
When engine RPM shows more than 6000 you can move throttle freely.

NeuralTech
08-13-2007, 01:03 PM
I had never even paid attention to the RPM of the engines before.... will definitely do that in the future!!

Come to think of it, I haven't paid much attention to the instrument panel since I cheat and have the Speed/Altitude posted in the lower left corner.

guess I'm gonna need to get into that aspect
if I wanna be as realistic as possible that is

Daiichidoku
08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
you can practice and become proficient with all the the jet at Kerosene_Kaos server in HL

never climb a jet until u have reached ur non-overheating speed...apporox 620kph for all jets, except the yp 80, 540kph

as siad above, dont so anythign in a jet til u have the speed, and be miserly about giving it up

the engine mgt for jet may SEEM complex...but once u have only a little time in them, and u have paid any attention, jet engine mgt is EASY and will give no headaches again

Waldo.Pepper
08-13-2007, 02:18 PM
My opinion differs from much in the thread. But to each their own. Anyway in my opinion as long as you stay fast (relative term but lets say over 700lmph) there is little reason to reduce the throttle from 100%.

Staying fast is vital in any plane if you want to stay alive - so I think this first point is rather obvious.

The ONLY reason I can think of to fly at 94% is to minimize YOUR visibility. Over this throttle setting the engines will produce visible smoke.
So if you are trying to be 'stealthy' - fly at 94. If they know where you are or you are trying to flee - firewall it!

Daiichidoku
08-13-2007, 02:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Waldo.Pepper:
My opinion differs from much in the thread. But to each their own. Anyway in my opinion as long as you stay fast (relative term but lets say over 700lmph) there is little reason to reduce the throttle from 100%.

Staying fast is vital in any plane if you want to stay alive - so I think this first point is rather obvious.

The ONLY reason I can think of to fly at 94% is to minimize YOUR visibility. Over this throttle setting the engines will produce visible smoke.
So if you are trying to be 'stealthy' - fly at 94. If they know where you are or you are trying to flee - firewall it! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

rgrt that Waldo, same here

dont try it in the yp 80 though, doesnt stop smokin til %69 or 74% or something

general_kalle
08-13-2007, 02:38 PM
the reason is that when you apply power quickly the engine lets in alot of fuel to engage the power asked for and with that much Fuel the heat simply gets so high it flames up.
when takin off its very important that you use Brakes to keep the plane standing while you trottle up. ignore the overheating it will suvive it.
and will go away when you gain speed.

all jets are slow accelerating and slow climbing.
therefore Jets cant scramble or anything.
theyre also very Heavy compared to piston