PDA

View Full Version : USAF Museum & Dayton Airshow

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 01:06 AM
I attended an AIAA conference in Dayton, Ohio this past week. The people there recommended me to check out the USAF Museum. I was not disappointed. In the vintage aircraft hangers, exhibits include a Hurricane, a Spitfire, a Bf-109G, a FW-190D, a Me-262, a P-39Q, several Mustangs and Thunderbolts. There were also displays of airborne armaments such as the MG151/20, the MK-108, etc. I also ran into a gentleman who was a ground crew during the Korean War. We chatted a little bit, and he told me that he saw Ted Williams made a gear up landing in his airfield. Amazing, Williams plane did not catch fire. The Museum book store also has a nice collection of WWII books. There were biographies of WWII aces, books on squadrons and planes. The handbook section even has a pilot handbook for the Me-262! If any of you is in the neighborhood (Dayton is about an hour flight from Chicago), you should definitely check this out.

I also saw the Dayton Airshow on July 17. Static displays included the usual suspects: Mustangs, B-17s, etc. The show also featured the Thunderbirds, the Blue Angels and the Snow Birds (the RCAF aerobatics team). There was also an air-conditioned tent showing the achievement of the Tuskegee Airman. I had the honor to talk to retired Col. Charles I. Williams. He is 86 years old and retired from the Air Force in 1967. He looks very fit. He graduated from Tuskegee in 1943 and subsequently flew from bases in Italy. He said he likes the P-51. He also told me about the story that two of their pilots had to share a destroyer kill because the gun film did not conclusively decide who should get the kill. I also asked him about General Benjamin O'Davis. Col. Williams recalled "BO" instructed them to focus on protecting the bombers and not to chase the Luftwaffe fighters. That is why there were very few Tuskegee aces. It was a coincidence that we both graduated from UCLA, though I finished my school sixty some years after him /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

You see, I had a great time in Dayton. The Dayton Airshow will last till Sunday. If you have the chance, do check that out.

Nowi out /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
07-20-2003, 01:06 AM
I attended an AIAA conference in Dayton, Ohio this past week. The people there recommended me to check out the USAF Museum. I was not disappointed. In the vintage aircraft hangers, exhibits include a Hurricane, a Spitfire, a Bf-109G, a FW-190D, a Me-262, a P-39Q, several Mustangs and Thunderbolts. There were also displays of airborne armaments such as the MG151/20, the MK-108, etc. I also ran into a gentleman who was a ground crew during the Korean War. We chatted a little bit, and he told me that he saw Ted Williams made a gear up landing in his airfield. Amazing, Williams plane did not catch fire. The Museum book store also has a nice collection of WWII books. There were biographies of WWII aces, books on squadrons and planes. The handbook section even has a pilot handbook for the Me-262! If any of you is in the neighborhood (Dayton is about an hour flight from Chicago), you should definitely check this out.

I also saw the Dayton Airshow on July 17. Static displays included the usual suspects: Mustangs, B-17s, etc. The show also featured the Thunderbirds, the Blue Angels and the Snow Birds (the RCAF aerobatics team). There was also an air-conditioned tent showing the achievement of the Tuskegee Airman. I had the honor to talk to retired Col. Charles I. Williams. He is 86 years old and retired from the Air Force in 1967. He looks very fit. He graduated from Tuskegee in 1943 and subsequently flew from bases in Italy. He said he likes the P-51. He also told me about the story that two of their pilots had to share a destroyer kill because the gun film did not conclusively decide who should get the kill. I also asked him about General Benjamin O'Davis. Col. Williams recalled "BO" instructed them to focus on protecting the bombers and not to chase the Luftwaffe fighters. That is why there were very few Tuskegee aces. It was a coincidence that we both graduated from UCLA, though I finished my school sixty some years after him /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif .

You see, I had a great time in Dayton. The Dayton Airshow will last till Sunday. If you have the chance, do check that out.

Nowi out /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif