PDA

View Full Version : Force feedback gun effects

BlakJakOfSpades
02-19-2005, 01:05 AM
I recently acquired a force feedback joystick and am likin it a lot, however i find it hard to aim while firing especially on fixed targets as it'll jump all over the place. i remember there was a solution for that by creating a blank text file and replacing it with the force feedback file or some such thing but i can't seem to get that to work. Also, the search button doesn't wanna work today, so if someone could please remind me as to the details of this operation i would be much obliged.

BlakJakOfSpades
02-19-2005, 01:05 AM
I recently acquired a force feedback joystick and am likin it a lot, however i find it hard to aim while firing especially on fixed targets as it'll jump all over the place. i remember there was a solution for that by creating a blank text file and replacing it with the force feedback file or some such thing but i can't seem to get that to work. Also, the search button doesn't wanna work today, so if someone could please remind me as to the details of this operation i would be much obliged.

Ketalar
02-19-2005, 03:32 AM
Welcome to the wondrous world of forcefeedback!

Try adding the ending _off to the following filenames in the ForceFeedback-catalogue:

autocannon.ffe ---> autocannon_off.ffe
bomb.ffe ---> bomb_off.ffe
machinegun.ffe ---> machinegun_off.ffe
mortar.ffe ---> mortar_off.ffe

This will give you all control surface forces and stall effects (including turbulence and ground effects which I think is a combination of punch.ffe and shake.ffe, not sure though you could try adding _off to them if you want). You will only get a small rumbling sensation when firing all guns at once, but not the mad jumping around that we get by default.

JG5_Scorpius
02-19-2005, 03:54 AM
Or you can use these:

http://home.tiscali.nl/adsl446606/Feedback.zip

http://home.tiscali.nl/adsl446606/ForceEdit.zip

roadczar
02-19-2005, 10:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ketalar:
Welcome to the wondrous world of forcefeedback!

Try adding the ending __off_ to the following filenames in the ForceFeedback-catalogue:

autocannon.ffe ---&gt; autocannon_off.ffe
bomb.ffe ---&gt; bomb_off.ffe
machinegun.ffe ---&gt; machinegun_off.ffe
mortar.ffe ---&gt; mortar_off.ffe

This will give you all control surface forces and stall effects (including turbulence and ground effects which I think is a combination of punch.ffe and shake.ffe, not sure though you could try adding _off to them if you want). You will only get a small rumbling sensation when firing all guns at once, but not the mad jumping around that we get by default. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was never able to lower FF effects by altering these files (autocannon.ffe, bomb.ffe, machinegun.ffe, mortar.ffe). I tried pretty much everything: renaming, deleting, and altering via FF editor. The only thing that worked was altering the shake.ffe, which unfortunately also reduced the stall effects.

I use MS FF 2. Any ideas?

Ketalar
02-20-2005, 03:47 AM
roadczar:
I've got an MS FFB2 too, and the way I posted above works fine for me. I'm running WinMe though, and I think I read somewhere that if you use WinXP then Windows itself can produce effects. Try opening the Windows settings for the stick in Game Controllers and turning the force feedback off there but leave them on in-game (and adding _off or renaming the files too!). I have a faint memory of someone else being advised to do this. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

NorrisMcWhirter
02-20-2005, 03:55 AM
Hi,

Use the forceedit tool (IIRC, it's a Direct X dev tool). You can load each file up and change the amplitude of the effect quite easily. I managed to retain all the flight and stall effects while toning down the taxiing and gun effects.

Cheers,
NOrris