03-10-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi all, I need some help/advice
First of all my system is:
Pent IV 3 gig
1.5 gig of ram
Radeon X1900GT
Soundblaster X-FI soundcard.
Direct-X 10

By todays standards this is not by any means top of the line. But as far as the requirements for IL2, I can run the game with maximum settings no problem.
I had this problem before, which I will describe in just a second. So I uninstalled IL2 completely. Deleted all folders and trace of the game. Reinstalled and patched up to 4.08 with absolutely no MODs of any kind. I was thinking maybe some of the MODs I had were messing with me so that is why I reinstalled the game.

This is kind of hard to describe but I am getting a weird, almost psychodelic screen flickering going on. It is not the whole screen but lines, and triangles and things like that. Totally sporadic when I am flying in a mission. And it also does this, sometimes, when I am on the aircraft customization screen. But nowhere else.

I have tried different resolutions in both 16 and 32 bit depth. I have tried different video drivers in the IL2 setup all the way from safe settings to maxed out, plus all the Radeon drivers. I have tried disabling the stencil buffer. I have tried setting all the video detailing to low quality up to maxed out.
I have changed the config.ini file as the manual states for perfect water which my video card can handle with no problem. I have changed the setting for trees. And I have also tried changing the setting for the 'flickering airfields' mentioned in the manual for I thought that maybe that could have been it too.

The game does not crash at all but I just get this weird annoying flickering/flashing going on. But not all the time. It is totally sporadic and random.

Does anyone by chance have an idea of what could be causing this and how I can stop it?
This is really bugging me because I just can't seem to figure it out.

I'll appreciate any help I can get and thanks.
Wad_ware

jamesblonde1979
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Im guessing your graphics card is getting a bit hot or is on it's way out...

Just a guess though, there is bound to be somebody along with a better answer Wad_ware so hang in there...

Wad_ware
03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the reply JB and I hope that is not the case. I have absolutely no problems at all with any other game or prgram in any way, shape, or form. It is only with IL2 1946.
Strange things do happen but I sure hope it's not my card.

Thanks again

jamesblonde1979
03-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Do a dxdiag and post your config ini file, somebody here might spot something.

B16Enk
03-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Does sound like heat or overclocking generated artefacts.

Curiously I got this myself last night, and like yours it was seemingly random as and when it occurred.

My card (an ATI 4870) is not overclocked.

One thing you can readily do is see what temps your card is running at immediately after running IL2, by going into the CCC and clicking on the ATI Overdrive icon.

Another thing worth checking is that your GPU fan is turning freely, when system is powered down, by gently rotating it with your finger.
I have had two ATI card fans with seizing bearings, resulting in slower fan speed and an attendant rise in temp.

Giving the heatsink a good spring clean is also worth doing several times a year.

Urufu_Shinjiro
03-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Which Catalyst driver version are you using? With the X1900 you shouldn't be using anything newer that the 7.11's.

Wad_ware
03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks again for the input again everyone.
The first things I did this morning as soon as I turned on my computer was to try IL2 and it worked just fine without any video problems.
I also went to ATI and found there is still an updated Catalist driver for my card. I have that installed and it is version 09.2
I never overclock the video card. But I do have all the 3D setting maxed out. I do know that does make the video card work harder and probably heat up a little more. But honestly don't know how much difference overall it would make setting the settings down lower. If anyone can tell me that I would appreciate some extra knowledge and learning there.

I have not yet tried running IL2 for a while and then checking the heat in the control center. That is a great idea.
I really think you all are correct on the overheating. Once I get the chance to experiment with the game for a while and check that out I'll let you know.

I really think we are on the right track.
Thanks so much everyone.

jamesblonde1979
03-11-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Wad_ware:
I have that installed and it is version 09.2

This could be your problem then, you might need to roll back your drivers.

Stiletto-
03-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Yes probably the drivers as stated, and if not the graphics cards is wearing out in one way or another.. I had an ATI card that did weird things in a few games, found out the fan was dieing.. Probably the drivers though, but if neither of those, I would check the power supply as the 3rd culprit.

MaxMhz
03-12-2009, 03:32 AM
Get Catalyst 7.11 (http://downloads.guru3d.com/ATI-Catalyst-7.11-XP-(32-bit)-download-1786.html) - I'm using those myself for my X1950Pro. There never was a better driver released by ATI, probably never will be either. Later drivers are all worse. Leave Catalyst A.I on Disabled. Do not use it on Advanced, or you'll get problems.

Wad_ware
03-12-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the link.
I took the advice, downloaded and reverted back to 7.11 drivers.
I have been experimenting today and watching my video card temp. First thing it started at 59 degrees. And so far after about 7 or 8 hours it is steady at 62 degrees. But this is only normal computer usage and absolutely no gameing.

I am going to do some hardcore gameimg here before long and see how that works on the temp guage. I never overclocked my card but I think I might have needlessly been over working it. I had all the 3D options up on full plus the Catalyst A.I. (which I have now disables)
I lowered all 3d settings to a more reasonable level and I will see how all that works out.

I'll let everyone know how it all works out once I get around to doing this.