PDA

View Full Version : History of MS Sidewinder

codeseven7
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
While looking into buying a MSFF Sidewinder 2 on e-bay, I came across one that the seller says he bought 'new' about one year ago. Curious, I'm awaiting an answer to where he bought it 'new'. Unless someone had a brand new one stashed away since it went out of production, it hasn't been possible to buy a new one for years, right? Does anybody know exactly when MS stopped production of the Sidewinder FF 2? Is there a 'History of the Sidewinder' article showing dates of production around somewhere? I Googled around but haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Thanks

Edit: The seller says he bought it at Best Buy in Feb. of last year, is that possible?

codeseven7
01-19-2006, 10:59 AM
While looking into buying a MSFF Sidewinder 2 on e-bay, I came across one that the seller says he bought 'new' about one year ago. Curious, I'm awaiting an answer to where he bought it 'new'. Unless someone had a brand new one stashed away since it went out of production, it hasn't been possible to buy a new one for years, right? Does anybody know exactly when MS stopped production of the Sidewinder FF 2? Is there a 'History of the Sidewinder' article showing dates of production around somewhere? I Googled around but haven't come up with what I'm looking for. Thanks

Edit: The seller says he bought it at Best Buy in Feb. of last year, is that possible?

Pig_Mac
01-19-2006, 11:16 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/li...g=UTF8&condition=all (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/offering/list/-/B00005NIMB/all/ref=dp_olp_0/002-6335340-2382424?%5Fencoding=UTF8&condition=all)

'only' $329.95 !!

codeseven7
01-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Just saw that, I would love to have that one but thats just frickin crazy man!

Hurricane_320
01-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Oh my, thats my stick! Didn't know it was that famous, bought it for about 10 Euros (12 dollars) a few years ago. And still works fine!

zoinks_
01-19-2006, 02:32 PM
i've seen this leeching practice before with oop(out-of-print) cd's. if its popular and they stop production people snag 'em up and sell 'em at a huge mark up.

here's one not too bad.
http://product.half.ebay.com/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force...tgZinfoQQprZ46860982 (http://product.half.ebay.com/Microsoft-SideWinder-Force-Feedback-Pro-2-0-Joystick-8-button-s_W0QQtgZinfoQQprZ46860982)

zoinks_
01-19-2006, 02:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xallo_72:

'only' $329.95 !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can get ch stick, pedals, and throttle for that price...i mean cheaper.

Gold_Monkey
01-19-2006, 08:16 PM
Yeah I've been bidding on Ebay trying to get a "back up" for my MSFFB2 and I've seen that one for $329. The problem is that there is someone who will pay that price.

rnzoli
01-20-2006, 08:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zoinks_:

SlickStick
01-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Why would someone want to limit themselves so much by having only a Sidewinder? I used to use Logitech Wingmen Extreme 3D and tried a Sidewinder once and thought it to be a bit of a POS with limited buttons.

That's when I switched to a HOTAS (X-45) and currently use an X-52. There is no substitute for having all of those layered controls at your fingertips and there are some great features on the X-52.

- twist rudder

- two-step trigger for assigning two weapons

- very much improved centering over the X-45

- Using the Mode switch you can assign each button THREE times. That's more than enough controls to make you never have to touch your KB, but to maybe type a =S= now and then in the chat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just my .02 of course.

KG26_Alpha
01-20-2006, 10:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by codeseven7:

Edit: The seller says he bought it at Best Buy in Feb. of last year, is that possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Canada was the last place to have stock of them.

I got one through M$ they sent it to the UK I bought it from a Shop here 80.00 last year in Feb. New ones have the red power light the old ones the green light.
so its possible that it was a stock item from Canada.
Oh and Thkz to I/KG26_Evil for the heads up on that one too as I have 2 MSFFB2, green light and a red light one.
And the new ones have silver buttons POV and throttle.

For switch spares try here.

You can buy replacement trigger switches at Mouser Electronics http://www.mouser.com
mfg part number is B3M-6009
mouser part number 653-B3M-6009

The switch description is
6mm long stroke Omron Switches - Mechanical Keyswitches/tactile

Xnomad
01-20-2006, 03:57 PM
When is a respected Joystick manufacturer going to fill the gap that the MS FFB2 has left?

Will CH ever make a FFB stick?

I dread the day mine stops working, I can't imagine flying without FFB, and please don't say Logitech makes FFB sticks, their quality is shocking.

knightflyte
01-20-2006, 04:22 PM
Tha't the sad part Xnomad. Logictec had great force feedback..... but terrible sticks.

I've got a Saitek Cyborg EVO Force feedback stick..... but.... well.... the feedback ain't too good.

I'd love to jump ship to CH HOTAS, but I like FF.... even Saiteks is better than none.

Having a great FF really helps with immersion. The buffeting and the sudden loss of airpressure under the wing really helps you feel the 'edge' your plane is capable of flying.

TooCooL34
01-20-2006, 04:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SlickStick:
Why would someone want to limit themselves so much by having only a Sidewinder? I used to use Logitech Wingmen Extreme 3D and tried a Sidewinder once and thought it to be a bit of a POS with limited buttons.

That's when I switched to a HOTAS (X-45) and currently use an X-52. There is no substitute for having all of those layered controls at your fingertips and there are some great features on the X-52.

- twist rudder

- two-step trigger for assigning two weapons

- very much improved centering over the X-45

- Using the Mode switch you can assign each button THREE times. That's more than enough controls to make you never have to touch your KB, but to maybe type a =S= now and then in the chat. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just my .02 of course. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You misread it.
It's not about sidewinder. It's sidewinder FORCEFEEDBACK2.
It has various feedback effects upon plane states. Stall buffet, gun recoil, and turbulence etc etc.
Its tension varies from loose to stiff with plane speed.
Durability is 5 times better than Saitek sticks.
It doesn't use stinking cheap spring for centering, it use motor & gears.
I have used all the sticks in market(except cougar) and it's by far the best.
Just different level.
9 of my squadmates have both X-45(52) & MSFFB2 and no one use X-52 stick instead of MSFFB2.

It's good you love your new hotas but if you ever get MSFFB2, you'll unplug your stick immediately. Throttle is very good.

SlickStick
01-20-2006, 06:00 PM
I've never liked ANY type of sidewinder that I've tried. As I posted, just my .02 on the subject.

hmkim
01-20-2006, 09:22 PM
I bought a MSFFB2 with a red trigger on Ebay yesterday. I used BIN for $75. Not too bad. The seller claims that it was barely used.

I have a MSFFB1 and I like it. But compared with my Saitek Evo FFB, it's less precise. According to many posts here, the MSFFB2 should be more precise in IL-2. We'll see.

sukebeboy
01-21-2006, 06:17 AM
****. They still have 3-4 left at the electronics shop here for 11,000 yen a piece. Wonder if I can sell them on eBay?

blairgowrie
01-21-2006, 07:35 AM
I have two MSFFB2 sticks. When I heard they were going to cease production I decided to pick up a spare.

It now might be a good idea to have some spare trigger switches on hand as well.

Can anyone advise me how many I would need. Is it one switch per stick? Are they easy to install? They are very inexpensive.

blairgowrie
01-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Can anyone help?

Chivas
01-21-2006, 04:05 PM
Blair...I would buy 4 or 5 trigger switches...I know Crash bought a quantity of them and sold them to guys at a very reasonable price. If you have ever done any soldering its very easy to change out. Heat up two contacts and pop the old switch out...pop the new one in...add sodder and your done. I found those new soldering guns that heat up when solder is placed on the tip work very nicely. There relatively cheap and run on a couple of AA batteries.

The reason the Sidewinder is a better stick than most is its short more precise throw and good spring tension. Most other sticks have a longer throw with poor center spring design.

Combine a Sidewinder with a Cougar or Saitek X52 throttle and your really have a nice Hotas setup. With all the buttons you will ever need.

PF_Coastie
01-21-2006, 07:29 PM
I have 21 functions set up on my MSFFB2 using a "shift" key on one of the buttons and also utilizing the hat switch as buttons. A buddy of mine showed me how to do it years ago.

The only time I go to the keyboard is for things like Ignition lights and bail out. I tried assigning Bailout to my stick one time and kept inadvertantly bailing on the runway or in mid flight! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-surprised.gif

If anyone would like to check out my settings, you can download them ON THIS PAGE. (http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/Downloads.html)

Badsight.
01-21-2006, 11:59 PM
have a Brand New MS-FFB2 sitting here in my closet in case my saitek quits on me & i need a replacement for that night

blairgowrie
01-22-2006, 06:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chivas:
Blair...I would buy 4 or 5 trigger switches...I know Crash bought a quantity of them and sold them to guys at a very reasonable price. If you have ever done any soldering its very easy to change out. Heat up two contacts and pop the old switch out...pop the new one in...add sodder and your done. I found those new soldering guns that heat up when solder is placed on the tip work very nicely. There relatively cheap and run on a couple of AA batteries.

The reason the Sidewinder is a better stick than most is its short more precise throw and good spring tension. Most other sticks have a longer throw with poor center spring design.

Combine a Sidewinder with a Cougar or Saitek X52 throttle and your really have a nice Hotas setup. With all the buttons you will ever need. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much for your comments Chivas. I'll order a bunch today.

BTW I have my MSFFB2 set up with a CH throttle which gives me all the buttons I need.

My missus does stained glass work and is deadly with a soldering iron!

Now if I could just learn to shoot straight.

hamselv2
01-22-2006, 07:19 AM
You need 1 switch for each of the triggers 1, 2, 3 and 4.
You need 4 switches for the hat switch.

The switch for button 1 (default firing machine guns) is the one that will wear out first (in my experience), and it's DIFFERENT from the other switches in the stick.
For that trigger you can use the Omron switch B3M
http://www.omron.ca/Products-Switches3.htm

I bought 20 or 25 (!) switches at Omron's website, and the other switches could be found at a local electronics shop. The switches for trigger 2, 3 and 4 are alike.
Consider changing all the trigger switches when you have disassembled the stick.

If you want to make the repair yourself, make sure that you notice how each part is located when you take the stick apart, as putting it back together can be a bit tricky. Watch out for those thin wires.
Taking photos of the stick during disassembling may be a good idea.
In my experience tape can be used to make it easier to assemble the stick parts.

Here is a related link:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m.../606101644#606101644 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/606101644/r/606101644#606101644)

Pig_Mac
01-22-2006, 07:25 AM
After my c: halted with a metal grinding noise, I had to reinstall my comp. Sadly I no longer have the 'SideWinder Game Controller Software 4.0' . Does anyone know if it's available anywhere? microsofts site is impossible to find anything on, and my original cd have been gone for years.

Are there any place that have the needed program available, or is it considered illegal to host it?

I can't understand that it's so impossible to find something that is needed to set the forces of your joystick in win xp! it's not like the market is overwhelmed with piratemade MSFFB2 sticks waiting for drivers!?

blairgowrie
01-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your reply hamselv2.

I tried the Omron website and got in but when I clicked on the B3M switch I got a server error.

My wife is in Toronto a couple of times a week so I will get her to pick up a handful.

blairgowrie
01-22-2006, 07:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xallo_72:
After my c: halted with a metal grinding noise, I had to reinstall my comp. Sadly I no longer have the 'SideWinder Game Controller Software 4.0' . Does anyone know if it's available anywhere? microsofts site is impossible to find anything on, and my original cd have been gone for years.

Are there any place that have the needed program available, or is it considered illegal to host it?

I can't understand that it's so impossible to find something that is needed to set the forces of your joystick in win xp! it's not like the market is overwhelmed with piratemade MSFFB2 sticks waiting for drivers!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

B16Enk sent a copy of version 4 to several people. If you pm him I am sure he will send it to you too. Just tell him BG sent you.

See here for some hints

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/49310655/m/5641011363/p/1

Pig_Mac
01-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Thanks a lot! I remember seeing it on the forum a while ago, just couldn't find it again.