PDA

View Full Version : Recommended for a sim newbie?

waaz
03-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Hello.

For some reason, while reading one of those plentiful internet gaming sites, a discussion of Silent Hunter III caught my interest. The concept/screenshots/word of mouth has tickled some part of me that I never knew existed, and now I can't get the game out of my head. The idea of stalking ships, looking at ship identification manuals, calculating torpedo trajectories (or whatever you call that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif), and finally sinking ships just appeals to me. Which is odd, because not only have I never played a submarine simulation before, I've never even played a realistic simulation of any kind.

So, my questions. How hard will it be for me to get into the game? I value complexity, but I like learning as I go, not reading a huge manual first (well, I actually like that too...but I don't want to be forced into it). I heard there are comprehensive tutorials, but are they comprehensive enough for someone like me to understand them or will I face a large learning curve?

Also (and I know that this question is easy for me to find the answer to, but I might as well ask while I'm here), is there multiplayer? If so, what kinds?

waaz
03-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Hello.

For some reason, while reading one of those plentiful internet gaming sites, a discussion of Silent Hunter III caught my interest. The concept/screenshots/word of mouth has tickled some part of me that I never knew existed, and now I can't get the game out of my head. The idea of stalking ships, looking at ship identification manuals, calculating torpedo trajectories (or whatever you call that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif), and finally sinking ships just appeals to me. Which is odd, because not only have I never played a submarine simulation before, I've never even played a realistic simulation of any kind.

So, my questions. How hard will it be for me to get into the game? I value complexity, but I like learning as I go, not reading a huge manual first (well, I actually like that too...but I don't want to be forced into it). I heard there are comprehensive tutorials, but are they comprehensive enough for someone like me to understand them or will I face a large learning curve?

Also (and I know that this question is easy for me to find the answer to, but I might as well ask while I'm here), is there multiplayer? If so, what kinds?

mosesgs
03-22-2005, 01:37 PM
I never play simulations either but this is different. The strategic element interests me so I had to have this.

Biggist problem is that I did not have much of a graphics card. I now have a decent one (I think??) but I have zero knowledge of how to get the most out of my graphics. So I'm muddleing along and not having any problems.

Prior to getting the new card the game would crash every time looked at the ocean.

I've been having a good time with the game.

Dominicrigg
03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
It will be as easy or as hard as you want.

If you want it to be easy you can set all the realistic settings off, so your sub can go forever and torpedoes never dud ect. If you want it to be complicated you can set everything to be realistic. If you like the idea of a game which takes some time to play but is fun for months on end then i would get this game. I would give it 90% at the moment and it can only get better if we get the additions we all hope for! (not including the things the community will give us)

waaz
03-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks guys. I;ll probably be picking this up today or tommorrow.

What strategic elements are you refering too?

aquasal
03-22-2005, 04:36 PM
not getting dc and goin belly up!

the manual is small but should be okay along w/ help like this site. lots of good stuff and more to come, but make sure you have very decent compt. to make the most out of it. graphics wise.

pretty easy to learn -