PDA

View Full Version : hey this FMB thing is pretty darn good

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Now I have Pomak's idiots guide to mission building, I built my first mission over the weekend and really enjoyed it (ground pounding; elimination of remnants of 9th Army south of Fuerstenwalde at end April 45 if anyone's interested - turned out well, and I'd post for testing if I could so if someone fancies helping me out, that'd be great).

Just a couple of questions - I've been thinking of doing a Il2 campaign based on Operation Bagration and would like to make it historically accurate as possible. Does anyone know any good books that give a good idea of relative disposition of VVS/LW air strength? Not had much luck on the net on the battle itself (beyond factoids) and wondered whether someone could recommend some good sources.

Is there a way to set up and target artillery in 2D mode or do I have to set each piece in 3D mode? A real pain having to guess range for each piece all the time.

Thanks in advance...

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_07.gif

She turned me into a newt, but I got better.

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Now I have Pomak's idiots guide to mission building, I built my first mission over the weekend and really enjoyed it (ground pounding; elimination of remnants of 9th Army south of Fuerstenwalde at end April 45 if anyone's interested - turned out well, and I'd post for testing if I could so if someone fancies helping me out, that'd be great).

Just a couple of questions - I've been thinking of doing a Il2 campaign based on Operation Bagration and would like to make it historically accurate as possible. Does anyone know any good books that give a good idea of relative disposition of VVS/LW air strength? Not had much luck on the net on the battle itself (beyond factoids) and wondered whether someone could recommend some good sources.

Is there a way to set up and target artillery in 2D mode or do I have to set each piece in 3D mode? A real pain having to guess range for each piece all the time.

Thanks in advance...

http://www.endlager.net/fis/pix/banners/fis_banner_07.gif

She turned me into a newt, but I got better.

XyZspineZyX
08-18-2003, 10:38 PM
The Black Cross/Red Star I understand is the best series of books dealing with the Soviet/Axis airwar. I wouldn't know where to acquire them, but they are expensive and hard to find is my understanding.

Go to the U.S.Military Academy website

http://www.usma.edu/

and review the maps of WW2 at various time frames in different war theatres. DL the maps, study the maps and build missions with aircraft that are listed in IL2 with dates of aircraft usage, older or equal to the time frame of your missions. In other words, if the plane was not introduced until 1944 do not include it in a mission that you're creating for 1942.

It is important, to my way of thinking, to keep aircraft in close time frames of their usage for better missions. Funny thing about competition, it breeds incremental change. You see incremental change throughout WW2 in all aircraft from all opponents. Only later in the war did predominance of airpower really shift to the Allies. Principally, because production capacities of the Allies far out stripped the Axis ability to produce enough capable state of the art aircraft.

You fly BF109E, BF109F, and BF109G-2 during 1942 missions. but not BF109G-6 since it was not introduced in 1942. You would use the G6 for later missions. YOu would then pair these Axis aircraft with similar dated Allied aircraft counterparts.

This will give you a very good start with the FMB, and you can create some excellent mission scenarios doing this. I think it is viable to think...a fictional mission may indeed have actually been a real mission if the pairings of aircraft, geography, etc. are right. Who knows, it wasn't uncommon for a 1,000 sorties a day to be flown from one airbase area.

You'll get help on these boards, just ask /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

----------------- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Black Cross - Red Star voulume two is available, I just got a copy from Amazon. They did not have it in stock but one of their affiliates did and it was direct shipped. Haven't had time to did into yet but from what I can see it's an excellent resource. I particularly like the maps.

There were some posts a while back on placing and aiming artillery, Since the search funtion is pretty much worthless here, you might try scrolling back a ways since there is not the traffic on this forum as there is on some of the others.

XyZspineZyX
08-19-2003, 01:38 AM
http://mudmovers.com/Sims/FB/il2_fb.htm

Left column...FMB101 series

---------------- /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif