PDA

View Full Version : Any plans for an expansion, or addition or modification to planes?

firemanjarhead4
10-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Hopefully the developers read this. I am disappointed that after the Guadalcanal campaign, as a Marine, the game jumps straight to Iwo Jima. I am wondering if there are any plans to add the 2 years of fighting for islands in the rest of the south pacfic like Bougainville, Choiseol, New Georgia etc. They should add important things like barge strafing raids, anti-shipping raids and raids on Rabaul and Truk. Also I believe it would add depth to the game if you were, for example, to pick a certain bomber group and bomber squadron you might be armed with a certain type of airplane. For example there were three kinds of B-25 mitchell strafers used by the 5th airforce in and around New Guinea. There was the standard 25 with gun packs and the bomb sight used in this game. There was the 25 with the gun packs, 4 .50 cals in the nose and the 75mm cannon and no bombsight. And then there was my personal favorite that had the 4 gun packs and 8 .50 cals in the nose and no bombsight. I would like to see this added or modified, hopefully we will see it in the future. I am waiting with baited breath to be able to take my B-25 with 12 foreward firing .50 cals and bomb the **** out of rabaul, take out some daihatsu barges in the slot, or participate in the battle of the bismark seas.

Chuck_Older
10-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Hi

The problem is maps

Map making in this sim is a large undertaking. The game engine was originally designed for relatively short-range actions on the eastern Front

Pacific Fighters really pushed the envelope for the game engine. Some of the mpas we really do need to make the PTO what it was are missing. the blank areas you refer to are there because the requisite maps are too problematic for the game engine

However.

3rd party mission and campaign builders use the "wrong" maps to represent places all the time. For instance, we have no "English Channel" map, but we do have a Battle Over Britain campaign that is excellent- but it wasn't made by the game developer, it was made by a member here

If you don't have Il2:forgotten battles and Aces Expansion pack, I really do recommend them, because they contain content that is useful to all players of Pacific Fighters. How so, you ask?

Well, for instance, I made a Flying Tigers campaign. You fly Hawk 81s, which is a PF plane, but since we had no Burma or China map (at the time we had no Burma map- one is actually in progress now), I had to use some Eastern Front maps for Burma, and a European map for Yunnan province China. It all worked out well, but as you can see, without Forgotten Battles and AEP, you couldn't make the campaign work. Plus, we don't have many needed IJA planes, such as the Ki-48...unless you have FB and AEP, of course, because I easily substituted another, similar aircraft for the Ki-48

Marine stuff is hard because of the land bases...but a few maps we have can be used. See, the developer wants to stay away from 'air starts'. However, clever mission builders get away with it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif I was working on some VMF 214 stuff on one map we have that has two islands a short hop from each other, but I got wrapped up in my Flying Tigers stuff and it's been sitting.

If you do have Forgotten Battles and AEP merged with Pacific Fighters, could I interest you in a tour of duty in Burma and China? The Marine Corps will take you back after your contract is up, Roosevelt's orders. The unit's CO is ex-Army, but he's alright. Up to 750 dollars per month depending on rank, room and board and medical paid for by Central Aircraft Manufacturing Co., 500 dollars per confirmed aerial victory. That's a lot more than the Corps pays, isn't it? And you're guaranteed a slot as a fighter pilot, although I can't gaurantee you'll be a flight leader from the get-go. Think it over, we have several Marines signed up already. Passage to Burma aboard a neutral Dutch ship is already lined up. The American Volunteer Group is ready when you are http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

stansdds
10-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Lack of maps makes Pacific Fighters an incomplete sim. No Solomon's Islands means no heavy USMC aerial action in "The Slot". Oleg will not release the map making tools to third party developers who are really interested in the Pacific, so there is little hope of getting more mapshttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Tater-SW-
10-23-2005, 08:31 AM
From what Ian has said, there is no fundamental problem with doing a map like the Slot. There is not a hard coded map size limit, it's simply a matter of labor to create them. Also, the Slot fits perfectly well withing current maps sizes already in PF. You can get Rabaul to Guadalcanal easily inside the Hawaii map.

Honestly, thought out properly before execution, the Slot would not be terribly hard. There are very few villages of size large enough to even bother with. There should be virtually ZERO roads except for right around Simpson Harbor. The interior of the islands from within 0-100m of the coast should be virtually solid jungle (large forest). To make for some inland CAS missions, simply make a few gaps here and there in jungle, particularly on hilltops. The odd coastal group of shacks. Primitive port facilities/wharfs in a few spots. Simple coral/grass strips (to blend in) right along the coast in a handful of places. Seems like it'd be a fraction of the work of a map like Berlin with a million buildings on it, plus roads for AI to follow, plus RR tracks...

tater

Platypus_1.JaVA
10-23-2005, 10:17 AM
Don't forget that PF is essentially and add-on to the Il-2 FB series, with a stand-alone capability

Nimits
10-23-2005, 10:50 PM
My campaign mod for PF will eventually have a USMC CAS campaign at Paula (1944) and a land-based defensive campaign at Guadalcanal (1943).

That's about as good as one can do with the current map set.