PDA

View Full Version : A simple request

huggy87
10-05-2004, 09:43 PM
How about putting the game on DVD? Or at least selling some CD and some DVD versions. That would make installation much easier. Most folks have DVD players, and if they don't one can be purchased for only 80$.

huggy87
10-05-2004, 09:43 PM
How about putting the game on DVD? Or at least selling some CD and some DVD versions. That would make installation much easier. Most folks have DVD players, and if they don't one can be purchased for only 80$.

LuckyBoy1
10-05-2004, 10:36 PM
It installs just fine now using a DVD-ROM

huggy87
10-05-2004, 11:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyBoy1:
It installs just fine now using a DVD-ROM <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh...right.

My point was that with a DVD you can put the game on one disk vice three or more. I feel like we are going back to the days when you would buy a game and the box would include 6+ install/ play 3.5" disks.

jeroen-79
10-06-2004, 01:47 AM
So?
As long as we can install everything on th HD I don't ind swapping some CDs during the installation.

VW-IceFire
10-06-2004, 07:08 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by huggy87:
How about putting the game on DVD? Or at least selling some CD and some DVD versions. That would make installation much easier. Most folks have DVD players, and if they don't one can be purchased for only 80$. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oleg mentioned that the market currently doesn't have support for DVD...something like 1/6th of all customers would be reached if they went with a DVD format.

I think he mentioned it'd probably be worthwhile in 2 years or so but CD's will continue to be the medium for some time yet.

We haven't seen too many games with 10 CD installs. Thats when floppy disks got insane http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Future-
10-06-2004, 07:39 AM
Right... I remember an old adventure game, which had something like 14 disks. Fortunately, it was one of the last games purely on disks, a short time later CDs took over.

About the topic, well, I agree it's somewhat more... relaxing not to have to switch CDs around. But still many games are released on CD - so far myself I only own one game that was released on DVD (DTM Race Driver 2).

As Icefire said, at some point DvDs will probably take over. But not now, and probably not with PF.

S!

TonyPiech
10-06-2004, 09:33 AM
The BIG problem in my mind isn't the number of CD-Roms to install the game, it's the fact that you have to leave one of those CDs in the tray to run the game. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

I guess if this sim is going to run 3 CD-Roms to install, I'll be required to sort between the 3 and find the one that needs to be in the tray to run the sim, it's going to be a pain. I may have to find a No-CD crack, as much as I'd rather not,... I'll be forced to do so.

Maybe Ubi and Oleg could wise-up like LOMAC (also published by Ubi). The initial LOMAC release required the CD in the tray to run the sim. Subsequently when the 1.02 patch for LOMAC was made available, no CD was required to run the sim. A slight sign of progress, maybe Oleg and Ubi can see the light.

actionhank1786
10-06-2004, 09:37 AM
It would be nice if they could do a "Special Edition" release like Unreal Tournament 2004 did, but i'm assuming a good deal of Oleg's customer base is in Russia, and Europe...and actually i'm not really sure at all if DVD drives have caught on over there like here in the US. Anyone know?

Future-
10-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Historical update: despite the destruction dealt to germany in WW2, since then there was some technical improvement.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif

In other words: I have a DvD ROM, and I can't at the moment think of anybody that I personally know that doesn't have one. Hm, ok, maybe one guy...

So yes, DvD ROMs are quite widespread here throughout germany.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif