PDA

View Full Version : Another Option for "46"

leitmotiv
09-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I am more interested in a "46" Gottergamerung with those nasty looking Sov fighters going head-to-head with P-80s and B-29s in a Stalin v Truman situation. Can you see it? P-80s going up to intercept Tu-4s (Sov B-29 copies)? More like 1949 when you consider the actual service dates for the Soviet fighters. This could be very interesting, indeed.

PBNA-Boosher
09-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Interesting, yes. Possible.... maybe. The way the game is set up has the US and the Soviets on the same side. There is no way to make "coalitions" like in Lock On. The designer would have to do a lot of skinning work to get around this.

leitmotiv
09-23-2006, 05:11 PM
I've always had a liking for those heavy cannon-packing Sov jet fighters---all the way up to the bristling MiG-19.

LEXX_Luthor
09-23-2006, 06:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Berlin Airlift gone bad could make a good background. We don't need to wait until 1950 to use jets. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

A revised plan, codenamed "Charioteer" and drawn up by the Joint Chiefs of the Joint Intelligence Group at about the time of the start of the Soviet siege of Berlin, envisaged dropping 133 atom bombs on 70 Soviet cities and industrial centers, including eight on Moscow and seven on Leningrad, thus destroying the political and administrative centers of the USSR, the whole of the Soviet petroleum industry, 30-40 percent of all other industry and nearly seven million members of the work force.

~> http://mars.wnec.edu/~grempel/courses/germany/lectures/36airlift.html (http://mars.wnec.edu/%7Egrempel/courses/germany/lectures/36airlift.html)

leitmotiv
09-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Exactly

Ruy Horta
09-24-2006, 05:09 AM
There is an interesting paradox in these 46 products, that is captured and developed technology. Technology that could only be developed, copied and produced after defeating the enemy.

So how explain 46 german technology fighting 46 Soviet technology, deploying many of the same parts and scientists?!!

What powered those early Soviet jets?

Ever think about that?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

leitmotiv
09-24-2006, 05:29 AM
That's exactly why the whole "46" concept is absurd. Furthermore, these Sov fighters were being tested in 1947---they were not ready for production in '46. "46" Is CANDYLAND for big children, but I'll salvage something from it with "Stalin v Truman 1949."

mandrill7
09-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Actually "red star v. white star" ain't that hard to do. I've got a mission on the shelf with a Tempest V squadron fighting a La-7 unit in Fall '45 over Berlin. I might change the Tempests to P-51's.

The Allies were the player plane and therefore got to fly red. The Lav's were blue with markings turned off and a generic "stars only" skin for all of them. Not perfect, but workable.

I should get back to it and finish it off.

Have to admit, I'm thinking of F-80's vs Migs as well with the new add-on.

leitmotiv
09-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Great stuff, Mandrill7. Those cannon-packing Sov fighters will be nasty opponents, love it!

leitmotiv
09-24-2006, 07:48 AM
Decided to get in the swing of this thing---P-80s vs Tu-4s! Set up a QMB for a trial run. My poor P-80 was turned into a Swiss cheese! I crippled a Tu-4, and that was it before I staggered off to a wheels up landing. Going after Boeings without cannon is going to be hard work! I think the Sovs will have more success. The Boeing was still a going concern versus these early jets. It was very fast at 10,000 meters. The P-80 was gasping to keep pace. Certainly brings home how advanced the 29 was. Didn't meet its nemesis until the MiG-15. Time to start clamoring for a B-36!

mandrill7
09-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Actually, this thread inspired me to take 30 minutes and polish up my mission. It's ready to d/l and is located at:

http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1299

Have fun, guys!

mandrill7
09-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
Decided to get in the swing of this thing---P-80s vs Tu-4s! Set up a QMB for a trial run. My poor P-80 was turned into a Swiss cheese! I crippled a Tu-4, and that was it before I staggered off to a wheels up landing. Going after Boeings without cannon is going to be hard work! I think the Sovs will have more success. The Boeing was still a going concern versus these early jets. It was very fast at 10,000 meters. The P-80 was gasping to keep pace. Certainly brings home how advanced the 29 was. Didn't meet its nemesis until the MiG-15. Time to start clamoring for a B-36!

I can't imagine hunting B-29's with only .50's! B-29's are surprisingly easy to kill with 30 mm's or larger because they are such huge targets that you can start shooting at them at over 0.5 km and still get reliable hits. With .50's, the amount of damage you'd do to such a beefy target would be minimal, unless you got in really close. And then you'd get clobbered.

leitmotiv
09-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Precisely what happened. The only hope I see is to try to take one down with a head-on attack and call it a day. Thanks for the mission!