PDA

View Full Version : Is this strategy ethical/legit?

DeanOMiite
01-10-2011, 06:38 PM
I set up a profile today that I call "comeback"...designed to score a crazy amount of points all at once.

I use long lasting smoke and slow poison for abilities and my loss streak is 2X score...so if I get a focused poison kill it's AT LEAST 1200 pts, and I actually got 2200 doing it earlier today with something like revenge/poacher/savior/hidden/variety or some combo of that on top of it all.

Thing is, if I'm in a slump and I've lost 4 contracts in a row and I know I need one more for double score, I feel like it's stupid to kill somebody knowing that a 2X bonus is on the way as long as someone else kills my current contract. So I'll wait around and purposely not kill my target and just see if I can get in a few cheap stuns before I get killed and officially have my bonus ready...then I go get my huge kill and rocket up the scoreboard.

Thing is...I feel kinda dirty when I do that. I mean, it seems smart because like...if you knew you were gonna win a million dollars in the lottery next week, why would you bother playing it THIS week and risk cutting into your jackpot? Still though...something about it doesn't feel right.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I almost exclusively play Wanted.

Thoughts? Is this a legit strategy? Is it lame? Smart? Unethical? Bogus workaround?

obliviondoll
01-10-2011, 06:40 PM
Try for hidden as well http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Without focus, and without 2x, I get 900 point poison kills quite regularly.

Jack-Reacher
01-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Dont worry about it. I have done it a few times but I stopped caring about the score and just played for fun, its boring losing contracts all the time like that.

Anyway if you want to score mega points, first get 4 silent kills, then lose the next 5 contracts without dieing ( that is, start chases and lose them, get stunned or have someone else kill them)

this way 750 is added into the kill bonus, and that is also doubled giving you an extra 1500. Easier on manhunt, I have a vid showing how to do it

El Zo1212o
01-10-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:
Dont worry about it. I have done it a few times but I stopped caring about the score and just played for fun, its boring losing contracts all the time like that.

Anyway if you want to score mega points, first get 4 silent kills, then lose the next 5 contracts without dieing ( that is, start chases and lose them, get stunned or have someone else kill them)

this way 750 is added into the kill bonus, and that is also doubled giving you an extra 1500. Easier on manhunt, I have a vid showing how to do it
Wow. If that's possible, then that is dirty- you're talking 1500 points bonus even before the actual kill points...

OP, I'm a real pri- uh 'jerk'- for videogame morality, but I don't see too much wrong with playing the 5x loss streak card, provided you lost those contracts legitimately, but I'd feel pretty dirty about losing even one on purpose to get it.

FireTempest00
01-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I've gotten up to 3400 points from a x2 poison kill.

I could only imagine everyone's faces when I suddenly make the lead so unreachable.

...Oh my god. that is genius!

tallinn1960
01-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by DeanOMiite:

Thoughts? Is this a legit strategy? Is it lame? Smart? Unethical? Bogus workaround?

Not at all. It is as legit and ethical as sacrifying a piece in chess. You have a situation, you have your options, you choose the one allowed by the rules that does the best for you. In a competitive game everyone is allowed to act that way.

The loss strike bonus is in the game for a reason. It is not lame to utilze it in the best possibe way.

SimDuff
01-10-2011, 09:11 PM
... Now I get how sometimes someone takes the lead with some crazy score. I don't think about these things...

obliviondoll
01-10-2011, 09:24 PM
So...

Incognito, Hidden, Slow Poison, Focus (using smoke) +750 streak x2...

3600 point kill please?

FireTempest00
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
So...

Incognito, Hidden, Slow Poison, Focus (using smoke) +750 streak x2...

3600 point kill please?

That method would be way too hard. But then again my way was equally hard and situational.

MrJLBoyyy
01-10-2011, 09:28 PM
It's a strategy you are allowed to preform for doing bad. I personally don't do it on purpose, but it's your choice to use your options. I use it as my main class for.... a balanced offense and defense.

DeanOMiite
01-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by MrJLBoyyy:
It's a strategy you are allowed to preform for doing bad. I personally don't do it on purpose, but it's your choice to use your options. I use it as my main class for.... a balanced offense and defense.

Losing contracts doesn't mean you're playing poorly though. I typically use reset cooldowns as my loss streak, and I lose contracts because I'm playing defensively, staking out an area and getting stuns, and killing targets as they approach me. But if my targets don't come, I probably will be losing a number of contracts.

For what it's worth guys...I was absolutely dominating Wanted earlier today, putting up 4500+ like it was my job...but then I started...not really "going for this" by intentionally losing contracts, but by going for ONLY stuns when I had lost 3 or 4 contracts...and while I would get those huge kills often enough, I wasn't doing enough in the mean time to win games...so I say...it's not a good strategy...and now I've put myself in a slump I'm having a hard time breaking out of.

DeanOMiite
01-11-2011, 12:13 AM
I should add to my above post...I use reset cooldowns in a my stun profile, which is mute/smoke. As I'm getting a couple stuns, my targets might be getting killed by other players, reloading my mute/smoke, allowing me to continue...that's why I mentioned that.

Jack-Reacher
01-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Oblivion I think that setup is over 3800.

Incog 400
Hidden 200
Poison 300
Focus 150
Kill 100
Kill streak 750
= 1900

x2 = 3800

If you got some kind of co op bonus like savior, diversion or co op kill it could go over 4000

Rainie
01-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Doesn't the kill streak reset once you lose a contract? In that case you cant use a kill streak bonus and 2x

marq08
01-11-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:
Doesn't the kill streak reset once you lose a contract? In that case you cant use a kill streak bonus and 2x

Nope, only if you die.

DeanOMiite
01-11-2011, 01:40 AM

Incog 400
Hidden 200
Poison 300
Focus 150
Kill 100
Kill streak 750
= 1900

x2 = 3800

If you got some kind of co op bonus like savior, diversion or co op kill it could go over 4000

Incognito bonus is 300. You get 400 for incog + kill...you've counted incog as 400 AND given a kill bonus.

STYJ
01-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by kriticalraine:

that's what i thought too .

obliviondoll
01-11-2011, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by DeanOMiite:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack-Reacher:

Incog 400
Hidden 200
Poison 300
Focus 150
Kill 100
Kill streak 750
= 1900

x2 = 3800

Incognito bonus is 300. You get 400 for incog + kill...you've counted incog as 400 AND given a kill bonus. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This.

And Rainie/STYJ, kill streak only resets when you die, not when you just lose contract - Jack has a video which proves the two can be used together.

Jack-Reacher
01-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Woops, im so used to incog kills being 400 points due to the kill as well.

obliviondoll
01-11-2011, 03:50 AM
You could still get it up to 4000 with a variety/greater variety, or a couple of co-op bonuses. Would take a lot to line up right with variety though.

zain_mastron
01-11-2011, 04:05 AM
I'm sure I just accidentally managed to use your strategy as I went from last to first and won my Wanted match thanks to an incognito poison, 2x Score and a host of other bonuses.

However, as stated, as an actual strategy, I'm not sure if you'd want to rely on it. If you're already out in front you could give it a go.

Phyxsius-
01-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Anything is fair in love and war.

While some would argue that there is a right way or a wrong way, I say anything is permitted as long as it is in the game and not cheating.

Anything else is just whining and banter.

Because you would have to ask yourself 2 questions:

1. Is it ethical to whom? - there are more voices that say "play hard play fair" than those that say "nay to runners and roofers".

2. Is it legit? - of course it is; using ingame mechanics.

papartusedmcrsk
01-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Highest I've gotten a 2900 point kill off this.

I think it was incognito+hidden+slow poison+focus+grounded+350(3 silent killstreak).

I have my poison build set up with x2 just for instances where everything falls into place. I don't try to go around losing contracts, and I only ever have it on the 3 silent killstreak, but it works eventually, and when it does, you shouldn't feel dirty. I just think to myself, wow I must have been unlucky... til now. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

obliviondoll
01-11-2011, 08:24 AM
Basically, if you keep it for just in case you end up in that situation, it's legit.

If you set out to try and get it right from the start, it's going to lose you more matches than it wins.

DeanOMiite
01-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by obliviondoll:
Basically, if you keep it for just in case you end up in that situation, it's legit.

If you set out to try and get it right from the start, it's going to lose you more matches than it wins.

Yeah. I was playing around with it yesterday and while I wouldn't say that I was setting out to do it right from the start, I WAS at a certain point purposely going for stuns only and trying to lose the fifth contract if I knew I had already lost four, and then trying to rack up the super bonus. Sounds reasonable in theory, but in practice it just absolutely 100% wasn't working. I went from scoring 4000-4500 and finishing first or second to only scoring around 2000 and finishing 7th or 8th...I wound up not getting my great kill more often than not because it would take too long for the pieces to fall into place and what started happening was, from the time I decided i would lose the 5th contract to the time I would finally pull off the super bonus, I'd lost about at least two and a half minutes off the clock and once lost four and a half...so it's not only a completely inefficient way of playing, it's also really not a whole lot of fun...which is all I'm really looking for here.

FearlessSpeach
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by SimDuff:
... Now I get how sometimes someone takes the lead with some crazy score. I don't think about these things...

Yeah.... I did this to you. Remember the "What, 2400?" message after a kill?

As I said in another thread, I leave the x5 loss in my main profile (slow poison/strong smoke). 90%+ of games I never get it, but in games where I am playing sneaky and 3-4 others are roofers, it has the ability to level the field late in a game.

As to "intentionally losing contracts" its important to note that killing civilians doesn't count. You need to be stunned, lose a chase or someone else kill your target, which can be difficult to do on purpose without giving up a free kill to your pursuer.

You will also occasionally get this late in matches you've been leading if you never died (and thus didn't change to your defensive build like rr mute/and which ever smoke you like). The 2x bonus is like an insurance policy. It gives you the chance to really bypass runners in low point matches you got off to a poor start in (we've all had the runner get the 150 point first blood arial 15 seconds in cus we just picked the wrong corner) or a chance to pad your lead late in matches where you've been too busy boxing to kill.

Edit:
The 2x bonus doesn't really help bad players. I've seen plenty of people get 1k+ point kills late in matches for not particularly impressive kills, check score board.... and they are still last.

Just cus he got that one incog focus acrobatic doesn't mean he's going to catch up, though it probably will get him the "score more than 750 in a single kill" trophy the rest of us got in our first match.

IPwnEverybody
01-12-2011, 08:26 AM
I think using smoke for cheap stuns is dirty. If you got a huge 2x score kill with Poison while playing honourable, using stealth and so on, then that would be fine.

Alph41987
01-13-2011, 01:01 AM
play the game the way it should be played, I pitty those who boost pionts with the 2x score thing... And it doens't work anyway, cause I dont see anyone doing it high on the leaderboards.

tastemyfreedom
01-13-2011, 01:32 AM
I really don't think anything is "cheap" or cheating in multiplayer. Unless of course you are actually cheating with lag switches and the such. They have those 2X and smoke bombs and all the other options available for everyone and they were put into the game to be used. It's not just decoration you know. Lol. If someone decides to use them, then so be it. It can work for you or against you. What was the saying, "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted."