PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Airspeed Indicator Gauge

G.Blade
02-01-2006, 06:07 PM
S! All

What unit of measure does the Corsair and Wildcat airspeed indicator gauge use while in cockpit view? The reason I ask is that I noticed the speedbar does not match the airspeed indicator's speed. I've cycled thru the three different units of measure in speedbar and none of them match what my cockpit gauge is indicating. I was thinking the cockpit gauge was in MPH. There is about a 10mph difference between the gauge and what speedbar is showing in MPH. I'm not sure which is the correct speed. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

I am currently patched up to 4.02M.

S! G. Blade

berg417448
02-01-2006, 06:31 PM
US Navy planes used Knots. (KIAS in the game)

Zeus-cat
02-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Remember that airspeed is dependant on altitude. The higher the altitude the greater the difference between true air speed and indicated air speed. The thinner air causes the instuments inthe aircraft to give faulty readings.

WWSensei
02-02-2006, 05:07 AM
The Corsair and Wildcat don't seemt to match the speedbar, you are correct. Either the cockpit gauges are showing TAS (which I really don't know and don't know why they would) or there is a bug in those models. In all the other aircraft the speedbar shows (roughly) IAS and generall matches the cockpit gauges of the aircraft. Not true for these two particular aircraft.

Kernow
02-02-2006, 06:31 AM
Almost all naval aviation planes use knots - even the IJN Zero and Val, which use metric for altitude. In-game the exception is the F4F-3 which appears to use mph, while the F4F-4 uses kts. At least, those are the units I found give the closest match to the indications, although I seem to recall there could still be a roughly 5 mph/kts discrepancy in the Wildcat and Corsair.

Remember, speedbar will read 200 from 200 up to 209.99; it rounds down to next 10, not up/down to nearest 10.

G.Blade
02-02-2006, 05:34 PM
S! All

Thanks for the replies!

WWSensei
02-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Kernow, I know what you are saying but for the Corsair if the speedbar is in knots it will say at times, 160 when the gauge says 190. It's not the rounding problem. Other aircraft using knots don't seem to have the problem nearly as bad (I don't fly the wildcat much).

I think the formula for calculating IAS knots for display in speedbar is off.

VT-51_Razor
02-03-2006, 12:28 PM
GBlade, also bear in mind that the speed bar shows speed only in increments of 10 Kts. So, from 90 to 99 Kts, you will see 90 Kts. Altitude is in increments of 50 feet also.

G.Blade
02-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Would I be better off just going by what the airspeed indicator says and ignoring the speedbar altogether?

VT-51_Razor
02-04-2006, 12:49 PM
G.Blade, it's entirely up to you. If you work at it long enough, you can be quite accurate with which ever method you choose. Being rounded off to the lowest of ten, you'll rarely get yourself into trouble using the speedbar. Personally, I find using the airspeed indicater in the cockpit extremely cumbersome, but again, it depends on which way you go as a matter of habit. Many of the more popular "full real" DF servers are using the no speedbar option which only shows your heading. I find this difficult and annoying, but have gotten used to it.

MAILMAN------
02-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Regardless of screen resolution it is hard to read the airspeed indicator, especially on the corsair. If I use the wide view the numbers can't be read and if I zoom in I have to use the mouse or play with button combinations on my throttle to get it in view. The only smooth way to see the gage and read it is to zoom in and use the mouse to look at the gage, but then you have to take your hand off of the stick or to do it. Those with TrackIr don't have this problem and most, although not all, that choose to disable the speed bar are using TrackIr. Pity, I don't think it really degrades from the immersion since the darn gage is so hard to read. I have never had a problem reading a gage except this sim. For all of this sims wonderfully done details, the gages especially when looking down is a bit lacking. I believe the gages on the USN/USMC aircraft are in mph instead of KIAS (which would be correct) and feet.
As was stated the speed bar is in 10 unit increments. Even though when you are on the deck of a CVE and the speedbar shows only 10 KIAS, you are really traveling 19 KIAS. This can be verified and calculated using the config file values.