PDA

View Full Version : trim question

duckkiller1970
04-24-2006, 07:45 AM
do all planes have aileron and rudder trim? I can't seem to trim 109k from dipping have to hold stick?

WB_Outlaw
04-24-2006, 08:34 AM
No, not all aircraft have trim on all 3 axes. The 109 and 190 only have elevator trim. Some aircraft have no trim at all.

--Outlaw.

berg417448
04-24-2006, 08:38 AM
The 109 and 190 do not have pilot adjustible rudder trim. They will trim out at cruise speed like the real aircraft. They do have adjustable elevator trim.

Treetop64
04-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by berg417448:
The 109 and 190 do not have pilot adjustible rudder trim. They will trim out at cruise speed like the real aircraft. They do have adjustable elevator trim.

Its important to mention that "Torque and Gyro Effects" must be turned ON for the 109 and 190 to trim themselves out at cruise. I think with that selection, the computer will simulate the pilot trimming out the aircraft with the rudders (you can see the 'offset' of the rudder pedals to counter the engine torque in flight). If the selection is disabled, then you'll be fighting those machines all day, especially the Focke-Wolf.

Haigotron
04-24-2006, 04:07 PM
They will trim out at cruise speed like the real aircraft

Is that due to physcial interactions with the air or its built into the plane (I wouldnt be surprised if those crafty german designers thought of such a thing)!!!

WB_Outlaw
04-25-2006, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Haigotron:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They will trim out at cruise speed like the real aircraft

Is that due to physcial interactions with the air or its built into the plane (I wouldnt be surprised if those crafty german designers thought of such a thing)!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a trim tab on the rudder and aileron that was adjusted by bending it by hand while on the ground. It was not adjustable during flight.

--Outlaw.

Texan...
04-25-2006, 10:20 AM
Over the patches oleg has not always got the trim correct. No trim for some a/c that had it and so on.

duckkiller1970
04-28-2006, 02:35 PM
thanks for the help. thats what I thought but just whated to make sure it was not just my joy stick not set up correct.

NonWonderDog
04-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Treetop64:
Its important to mention that "Torque and Gyro Effects" must be turned ON for the 109 and 190 to trim themselves out at cruise. I think with that selection, the computer will simulate the pilot trimming out the aircraft with the rudders (you can see the 'offset' of the rudder pedals to counter the engine torque in flight). If the selection is disabled, then you'll be fighting those machines all day, especially the Focke-Wolf.

It's not exactly that. The rudder has a trim tab on it, but it's not adjustable in flight. The trim tab will hold a rudder offset. It's what they do.

Most of the effect the trim is supposed to counter comes from the engine. At low speed, the engine has more of an effect than the aerodynamic trim (including that trim tab) built in to counter the torque. At very high speed, the trim dominates, and the plane tends to spin in the other direction. At cruise speed and ~75% throttle, the plane flies straight.

If you turn torque effects off in the options, you do NOT turn off the aerodynamic trim. The preset trim still tries to counteract the engine effects, but there are no engine effects. As a consequence, the plane will rotate almost uncontrollably *with* the direction of the propeller. This effect will only get worse with speed.

Keep torque and gyro effects on. The option doesn't have the desired effect since patch 4.0 gave us meaningful engine torque and p-factor and the preset trim to combat them.