PDA

View Full Version : just gor FB and..

tonedog2005
12-22-2005, 10:34 AM
there's not many planes around in the stock missions. is that the way they were designed or what?

neural_dream
12-22-2005, 10:40 AM
elaborate plz

what do you mean?

tonedog2005
12-22-2005, 10:50 AM
there only seems to be 1 or missions per plane. and those missions only have maybe 10 planes in them. ive gor battle of britain and the missions in that can have over 100. ive also got PF and the pearl harbout mission has a dozen planes in it. i was expectin a lot more than that.

horseback
12-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Stock missions were built for the lowest common denominator at the time Forgotten Battles was released, a couple of years ago. At that time, it was pretty demanding of the average 'gaming' rig, and the extra demands of a few AAA or extraneous vehicles moving about elsewhere on the map could overstrain most people's rigs and cause a significant 'stuttering' problem. Subsequent patches and the improvement of the general capabilities (and the amount of RAM) have helped make it more playable.

This game is much more demanding of your computer resources than Rowan's old Battle of Britain, or Microsoft's CFS1 & 2. Try building a few of your own missions with gradually increasing AAA fire and numbers of aircraft in the air and vehicles moving on the ground, and you'll see what I mean.

cheers

horseback

Kuna15
12-22-2005, 12:29 PM
I have BoB 2 and must say that ~100 airplanes in the air looks impressive but that game is apparently less demading to cpu for some reasons.
In FB around 100 planes in the air (close formations) would certaiunly meaninig slide show... very low frame per second rate and game would be unplayable for most part.

Bearcat99
12-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Does BoB look or fly as good as FB 4.xx?... I am curious.

tonedog... get The Aces Expansion Pack and PF ASAP.

Kuna15
12-22-2005, 03:28 PM
@ BC it looks good but nah... when overall compared it is nowhere near FB IMHO. All concept is really just copied from old BoB. It is basically the same game with only graphics improved.

The only advantage is that aircraft formations and numbers looks really good + list of in-flight orders & directions available are somewhat better.
I find vector to nearest friendly tower/airfield(when on low fuel) and where are you?(question to formation leader -range + vector) particularly useful.

tonedog2005
12-22-2005, 03:59 PM
ive got PF and am awaiting AEP in the post. so how many planes can it handle then. i dont expect hundreds but certainly more than a dozen or so. guess i should just download some.

possible dumb question. where in the mission folder do u extract downloaded missions to and what mission would u recommend i try to test my system

Taylortony
12-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by tonedog2005:
ive got PF and am awaiting AEP in the post. so how many planes can it handle then. i dont expect hundreds but certainly more than a dozen or so. guess i should just download some.

possible dumb question. where in the mission folder do u extract downloaded missions to?

have you patched it by the way? to get more planes to use, also if you are in the UK and AEP does not appear I can provide unopened ones cheaper than most places PM me............. if you are waiting from Amazon, book your retirement party first, it will arrive sooner

want 30 odd planes in a fight?, all be it less intelligent than the AI versions............. go online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Skycat_2
12-22-2005, 09:24 PM
I think the maximum number of planes that can be in a mission in FB and AEP is 32 on each side. PF doubles that number I think, but truthfully most computers can't run that many planes in a single player mission -- too many AI calculataions for the planes and, to a lesser degree, the vehicles, plus the ballistics for flak and tracers ...

Try the "Sink the Marat" mission under the Germany/Stuka single mission.

You can't download more planes outside of the official upgrade patches, but you can download plenty of custom-made single missions and campaigns through sites like Netwings. They typically go in your "UbiSoft/IL-2 Forgotten Battles/Missions/Single/(nation)" folder.

Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator is another option to look into, but I think you'll need AEP v2.04 at the very least to use the oldest version still available at Lowengrin's site. His current versions are designed for FB+AEP+PF. Lowengrin's DCG (in my experience) puts up a large number of planes by default, to the point where my computer runs choppy. They aren't always in the same airspace, however; I've played DCG missions where separate battles are going on on the other side of the map, or AI traffic coming home, etc. -- stuff that is atmospheric but has nothing to do with the player's goals.

If you're looking for a sim that can put a lot of planes in the air, try the classic title "European Air War." I recently saw a new copy of it in an Electronics Boutique. Its graphics were rough-looking even in 1998 but the basic game is really good. You can get it for $10 or less.