PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the backgrounds?

Maverick_MW
11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Hello all.

I have been trying to get some of different backgrounds into FB/PF, mostly things from ScreenShotArt.

I can get the image the right size (doesn't seem to be a "right" size, as the ones that come with the game are different) and the right data type just fine. Heck, I can even get it to display in the menus, but what happens is that as soon as it is displayed, the game stutters so much that it is impossible to do anything, the only way out being and Ctrl-Alt-Del.

So, if I can get them displayed, what on earth is causing this?

Chuck_Older
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
While flying it stutters?

Replace your old splash screens and see if the problem goes away

In the meantime, make sure your files only contain one .tga for the splash and one properties file for the splash, and that the file points correctly to the .tga

Then take a look at sizes and color depth- there are limits. Use whatever the original splash had

Your 'squashed' appearance is because the sim uses an odd format- 256 by 256 pixel files need to be made to 256 by 305, then cropped to 256 by 256 to appear normal for example. I beleive it's a 19% difference but I forget exactly

Maverick_MW
11-15-2005, 06:33 AM
Right, thanks for that.

Well it stutter as soon as the background loads, like loads of mouse lag. I haven't tried flying because it almost impossible to click any buttons.

Everything else I have done correctly, except the sizing, maybe thats it. I'll try and report back...

Maverick_MW
11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Well, I have amanged to do it now. It works fine as long as the image is pasted over the original image of the original file. If I create a new file it won't display it...