PDA

View Full Version : Copyrighted savegames

Nordrir
07-06-2010, 03:20 AM
I have recently had the "pleasure" of my PS3 frying. As a result I found out that a large number of my game saves were stored as "copyrighted", so even if I had them backed up, they would not be possible to transfer to a new system.

The only option would be to transfer all contents from one PS3 to the other - but that requires both PS3s to be fully functional at the time of transfer (which kinda makes the whole idea completely useless).

To my amazement and anger, AC2 features copyrighted savegames, so my full platinum trophy playthrough is gone.

Now, I intended to buy the Brotherhood in the Codex version, because I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing. However I will not ever again invest in a game that sports copyrighted savegames. I lost more than 200 hours of gaming time in various savegames in that crash.

The idea of copyrighting them, is to prevent cheaters - but I'd rather have 1.000 cheaters, than 1.000.000 unsatisfied customers. Why such a high number you ask? Well, consider that none of the consoles actually sport extremely sturdy components - with normal use they WILL die at some point or other. This is not up for discussion, that's just the way it is. As a result, all copyrighted savegames essentially come with a time limitation put by the developer. That means an impact of exactly 100% of Ubisoft's customers.

Note also that this limitation also carries onto the other consoles, in the exact same manner.

So, I hope, Dear Ubisoft, that you're smarter this time around, and DON'T put it onto Brotherhood. I want my savegames that I spent time on getting. No excuses accepted.

mikeh1294
07-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Your trophy doesn't go, only your saved data. Your trophies sync with the network.

And do the DIY fix on your old PS3, and use the system link thing to copy everything across.

Nordrir
07-06-2010, 03:58 AM
Thanks mikini

Yeah - I know the trophies don't go, that's not really the point. The save games represent time spent as well. I like getting rid of stress by heading in and committing wholesale slaughter from time to time - but that's less gratifying when you know you have to start from scratch.

Which "DIY fix" are you referring to? I've heard of a lot of different ones, and they all relate to different problems.

Also, regardless of whether my PS3 IS salvageable like that, it doesn't change the ridiculousness of the save game copyrights as a whole.

Marius_Darkwolf
07-06-2010, 04:06 AM
That's one thing I love about the xbox in this case, mine redringed, I yanked the detachable HD and slapped it onto a new one, profiles savegames, downloads, everything came up. I am sorry to hear about your ps3, but in this case, with the xbox you don't have to worry about 'copyrighted' saves. the harddrive is external

mikeh1294
07-06-2010, 04:10 AM
Posted Tue July 06 2010 11:06

Marius, thanks for that!

Zionai, do you think you could switch HDDs over? It doesn't invalidate the warrenty. (maybe try this after the Yellow light fix).

Did you get the yellow light, as that is most commonly caused by overheating. Search "YLOD fix" on Youtube, and that should help you fix it for a short time, long enough to switch the data.

Nordrir
07-06-2010, 04:18 AM
Aye, that's a fair point. The reason that doesn't work on the PS3 is that the harddrive is encrypted with a key, based on the unique ID of the PS3. So, if you plug the HD into another one, it won't be able to read it, and will want to format it as the first thing.

While the Xbox does have an easier time with that, it does however still have the same problem, in terms of backup. If you take a backup of your save games, and then your harddrive fries along with your Xbox (or you just want a bigger harddrive), you cannot transfer them onto a new Xbox. Actually, I'm not even sure you can take a backup of copyrighted savegames at all, even if you wanted to restore them to the same Xbox.

The PS3 is much "cheaper" in terms of harddrive space, since replacing the harddrive can be done with any harddrive of the appropriate size, without voiding warranty (Unlike Microsoft's evil schemes, forcing you to buy subsize overexpensive harddrives in an enclosed Microsoft casing...)- Note that I had a 500 Gb HDD in my PS3 at the time, and I download a LOT of stuff. DLCs and so on. Took me over a week downloading it all back from the store to begin with. Thank God I didn't have my media stuff on their anymore, but transferred it to my NAS.

Nordrir
07-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Hey again Mikini

There are at least 3 different YLOD fixes I've heard of. Problem is that with a 500 Gb HDD, it'll take more than 10 minutes to transfer the data...

I don't have warranty on the system anymore - it fried EXACTLY 1 month after expiration.

Switching the HDDs is easy - but tried. Unfortunately the encryption key makes that whole thing moot.

mikeh1294
07-06-2010, 04:29 AM
The easiest YLOD is to heat up the metal bits on the board, leave for 15 minutes, turn over and heat up the adjacent bits on the other side.

Add some thermal paste to the chips, leave to dry, then put it all back together.

If you are worrying about ti giving out in those 10 minutes, put it somewhere cool, maybe a fan on it, maybe near a fridge/freezer, it should work.

Nordrir
07-06-2010, 04:41 AM
Seems like I'm going to need a soldering iron again... Haven't owned one for years :-)

mikeh1294
07-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Zionai:
Seems like I'm going to need a soldering iron again... Haven't owned one for years :-)

Not a soldering iron, a heat gun. It melts the solder and allows it to reform.

And how can you not own a soldering iron!? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

bokeef04
07-06-2010, 07:41 AM
i hope people realise that AC2 isn't the only game to use it, and Ubisoft isn't the only producer to lock their saves, i know for a fact Heavy Rain's saves are locked aswell, and RDR saves only work on the PS3 they were created on(can't say for 360 as i don't own one)

Nordrir
07-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Hmmm, I have Red Dead Redemption, and I had no problems copying and using them on a second system. Rockstar saves works as far as I know. Bioware however locks all theirs - including Dragon Age... I lost 98 saves.

jimbo11235813
07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
My PS3 died just when I got AC2 (lost all my data because I don't have anything to backup with), and it . I got a new, slimline PS3 after being told by Sony that they wouldn't do anything about it as I was out of warranty (the liars, I explain later).

I tried switching the HD, but the new PS3 had to format it to use it, losing all the data on it anyway.

Just wanted to add: I found out later, after getting a new PS3, that the Sales of Goods Act says that the product SHOULD be functional for a reasonable amount of time, regardless of how long the warranty lasts. But after six months of purchase (or after the warranty), the purchaser has to prove that it was poorly made. Of course, you can't do this yourself otherwise Sony can just say that you ruined it when you checked. If the Sales of Goods Acts (you can google it, 1979 I think) applies to you, then try quoting this while talking to Sony. I'm not sure what they will do, but the guy who told me about the Sales of Goods Act got his Xbox 360 replaced for free even when it was out of warranty. If they still say that they can't do anything or try to avoid this, then I'd research who to complain to about this and get Sony to at least look for the problem. If it is your fault, then you'd just be treated like you would be if you didn't quote the act, but if it is their fault (poorly made), then it should be repaired or replaced for free.

If the Sales of Goods Act 1979 does apply to you, this website (http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/) is a good one to look at

P.S. I also hope that Brotherhood doesn't have copyrighted saves.

mikeh1294
07-06-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by jimbo_323:
My PS3 died just when I got AC2 (lost all my data because I don't have anything to backup with), and it . I got a new, slimline PS3 after being told by Sony that they wouldn't do anything about it as I was out of warranty (the liars, I explain later).

I tried switching the HD, but the new PS3 had to format it to use it, losing all the data on it anyway.

Just wanted to add: I found out later, after getting a new PS3, that the Sales of Goods Act says that the product SHOULD be functional for a reasonable amount of time, regardless of how long the warranty lasts. But after six months of purchase (or after the warranty), the purchaser has to prove that it was poorly made. Of course, you can't do this yourself otherwise Sony can just say that you ruined it when you checked. If the Sales of Goods Acts (you can google it, 1979 I think) applies to you, then try quoting this while talking to Sony. I'm not sure what they will do, but the guy who told me about the Sales of Goods Act got his Xbox 360 replaced for free even when it was out of warranty. If they still say that they can't do anything or try to avoid this, then I'd research who to complain to about this and get Sony to at least look for the problem. If it is your fault, then you'd just be treated like you would be if you didn't quote the act, but if it is their fault (poorly made), then it should be repaired or replaced for free.

If the Sales of Goods Act 1979 does apply to you, this website (http://whatconsumer.co.uk/how-long-should-it-last/) is a good one to look at

P.S. I also hope that Brotherhood doesn't have copyrighted saves.

The Sales of Goods Act does not apply to Sony, it applies to the place where you bought it from.

jimbo11235813
07-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by mikini:The Sales of Goods Act does not apply to Sony, it applies to the place where you bought it from. Sorry, my mistake (thanks Mikini for correcting me). Then you can go to complain to the retailer saying that although it broke outside of warranty, it didn't last for a what someone could consider to be a reasonable amount of time (research it a bit more before complaining). Forgot to add last time that this law applies to products bought in UK, not sure about laws in other countries. If you want to save money, its a good idea to research the local laws and to ask around.

I'm still saying Sony are liars (mainly because, despite only having PS3 in this generation of gaming, both my first PS2's and PS3's have died within 18 months of purchase)

Lastly, my knowledge of the Law of the UK are RUBBISH, most of what I've learnt is from a program called "Don't get Screwed" which gave you useful info on how the laws cover you in certain situations. My facts maybe incorrect (as Mikini pointed out, lol) so don't just take my word on it.

Sorry, back on topic, I completely agree about the save files. I see no reason for copyrighting the files, even with cheaters. I can't see how a cheater would have fun, and Ubisoft don't lose money (do they?) Anyway, I need to start Backing up my files regardless.

DJBare
07-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Zionai:
The idea of copyrighting them, is to prevent cheaters - I always figured they got this wrong, they should let everyone cheat, that way your back to a level playing field.

P.S, just an observation, but someone said they prefer console because they might have to only update the model every 4 years as opposed to the pc which requires upgrading about every 2 years, my observation is this, console do seem to go in the repair shop a lot more!

lilbacchant
07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by DJBare:
I always figured they got this wrong, they should let everyone cheat, that way your back to a level playing field.

Couldn't agree more. What do I care if someone else cheats? The only place this might be a factor is in the upcoming MP, but then local saves will be meaningless anyway for those modes.

P.S, just an observation, but someone said they prefer console because they might have to only update the model every 4 years as opposed to the pc which requires upgrading about every 2 years, my observation is this, console do seem to go in the repair shop a lot more!

That hasn't been my observation at all. My 360 is almost three years old and still runs like it was brand new.

Most PC's will encounter at least one significant problem every year or so. For me that's not a big deal because, unlike the 360, I can fix those problems on my PC. And many of those who can't fix it themselves know someone who'll fix it for them.

But, again, it's a very rare individual that can repair a proprietary console. That, imo, is the most significant difference between the platforms. Personally, other than turn-based games, I just don't like to game on the PC ... much prefer a controller, big screen, and a couch. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif