PDA

View Full Version : Easier version: what's the slowest steady climb speed you can hold?

M_Gunz
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
At any power in a prop plane. It's a balancing act with elevator and rudder both critical.
This is easier because you don't have to hold level, just get the IAS before you get too high.

I find the P-40B, Bf-109F-2 and Bf-109G-6Late all very close if not the same.
I was able to get the F-2 down to 130 for stretches but not quite hold it while climbing at 50% power, 100% pitch.
The 109G was more comfortable in the 150 range but could for a while hold 140.
The P-40B comes in between the two.
They are all very close but I guess that at 140 average, to bring that down even a few kph is a lot.

Is the low speed climb too much? The power required to fly level at a certain speed taken as base, how well does
it climb at same altitude at 10% more and 20% more? Should it be pretty much linear X climb per power % at alt?

M_Gunz
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
At any power in a prop plane. It's a balancing act with elevator and rudder both critical.
This is easier because you don't have to hold level, just get the IAS before you get too high.

I find the P-40B, Bf-109F-2 and Bf-109G-6Late all very close if not the same.
I was able to get the F-2 down to 130 for stretches but not quite hold it while climbing at 50% power, 100% pitch.
The 109G was more comfortable in the 150 range but could for a while hold 140.
The P-40B comes in between the two.
They are all very close but I guess that at 140 average, to bring that down even a few kph is a lot.

Is the low speed climb too much? The power required to fly level at a certain speed taken as base, how well does
it climb at same altitude at 10% more and 20% more? Should it be pretty much linear X climb per power % at alt?

gorkyporky
05-05-2009, 03:47 PM
I find myself doing this pretty often, actually it has become kinda my favourite thing to do in IL, since im a bit tired of combat. I get the Bf-109 G6 down to about 145 and am still able to control it. I can get down to 130kmh but I cant hold it there for long tho.
Why would you be trying this with anything less than full power tho? I just firewall the throttle and then try to control the speed by climb angle. Is the aircraft so much more stable with, lets say 50% power?

Oh, and which aircraft would be best climbers at this speeds, because i like to get to about 3km this way aand then dive straight down and see if i can get stuff breaking off my planehttp://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif I guesing BF-109s are the best for this kind of fun, but im gonna try the P-40 the next time.