PDA

View Full Version : Looking to Improve 1946 Performance... Best Approach?

Ryan_Cunningham
05-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I just recently picked up this sim and have to say that I'm intrigued by it. I've played Falcon 4.0 and its derivatives for years but that had not challenged me the ways that IL-2 has thus far. Anyway, I was looking for some advice as my laptop doesn't do the sim justice as it currently stands.

Current specs on my Dell Inspiron 5150:
P4 2.8Ghz
30GB HD
NVidia GeForce FX Go5200
256MB RAM

What would be the most efficient way to boost the performance of my laptop so that I will be able to enjoy IL-2 more? I, admittedly, am not very technologically inclined so hopefully I could get a friend to make any necessary changes after I purchased any upgrades.

Enforcer572005
05-10-2007, 10:32 PM
i fly on the second lowest res setting, and have alot of the settins reduced. Still looks great.

Cajun76
05-10-2007, 10:50 PM
If 256 is your total RAM, then that would give you the most benefit, afaik.

The community help forum may give more or better pointers, but I see your lack of RAM as the biggest problem.

ake109
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
One of the things I am happy with about IL2 is that its not a very big resource hog.

I am using a small form factor PC with an embedded MX4!!! graphics chip, AMD2.6 and 1 gig ram.

I was very surprised that I can run on near full settings as long as I don't FMB 2 or 3 Bomb Groups in 1 mission. I was disappointed when the 1946 box said 'NO MX4 SUPPORT' but its working fine somehow!

I think you need more RAM fast! I started with 512mb and when I doubled it, IL2 (I was playing FB back then) ran much much better. 256mb is rather unheard of for game machines now.

Bearcat99
05-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I would say with that system get more RAM and perhaps another video card... at least 1G of RAM... and get the fastest RAM your mobo will support.. probably DDR2700 perhaps? I dont know what you have in there.. but RAM is now pretty cheap. Look here (http://www.pricewatch.com/video_cards/) for video cards... I would say anything between a 6800 & a 7900 would be better than what you have and not too pricey. I am assuming you also have an AGP mobo.

Xiolablu3
05-11-2007, 02:25 AM
I gather your system is a Laptop?

YOu would be much better with a desktop and lots of ram to play this game.

1GB Ram is needed for smooth play at decent settings, 256 MB will result in a lot of stuttering. Maybe you can limit it a bit by turning the gfx down.

The Geforce 5200 card is not a gamers card, and I dont htink you can upgrade Lapop GFX cards.

Laptops are very expensive and not very good for gaming. Get yourself a desktop, much cheaper and more powerful. Enjoy IL2 in style!. Your friend should be able to build you a decent gaming Desktop for about the same price you were going to spend upgrading your Laptop.

You dont need to spend a fortune. Around 250-300 if you buy the parts online.

Athlon 64 4000+ (40)
Geforce 6800/7600 or X800 Pro (50
1GB PC3200 RAM (30)
Socket 939 motherboard (25)
SOundblaster Live! (3)
Case (25)
2nd HAnd Monitor (30)
Mouse Keoybord etc (10)

You get the idea. This system would play IL2 on almost the highest settings, and most other games too.

Yskonyn23
05-11-2007, 02:55 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

Correct, despite the fact that laptops are easy to handle, easy to take with you and are currently advertised as mobile gaming stations, its still a fact that desktop PCs will give you way more performance for way less money.

If you are talking about a desktop, then it really is time for an upgrade.

RAM is indeed the first thing you should take care of along with your videocard.
Like said above, the FX5xxx series suffered a lot of problems with games.
If you can buy a new videocard, be sure they don't sell you a PCI-Express card (becoming the new standard!) because you probably can't use it!

The P4 2.8Ghz processor can be one with or without Hyperthreading. If you have the one without then you have a big chance that your front side bus is running at 533Mhz, whereas the later P4 processors ran at 800Mhz.
While only a minor thing, it does help performance if you get a newer generation P4 if you don't already have one.

Mind you: I ran IL-2 very comfortably on a P4 2.4 (old generation)Ghz, 1GB RAM and a Geforce 6600GT 128MB video memory!

major_setback
05-11-2007, 03:19 AM
I found that FSAutoStart really helps on a limited system. It shuts down (and restarts after you've stopped the game) all unwanted background processes and programs. It's also easy to use, and once set up only needs one mouse click to activate it and start your game:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/320...201029173#3201029173 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/3201029173?r=3201029173#3201029173)

There is a guide to getting it to work in the thread above.

You might have to google for it. If you need the patch PM me with your e-mail, the original site is down.

Google FSAutoStart if the link to the original program doesn't work. You might get it here too:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/FSAutoStart.shtml

Hkuusela
05-11-2007, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
You dont need to spend a fortune. Around 250-300 if you buy the parts online.

Athlon 64 4000+ (40)
Geforce 6800/7600 or X800 Pro (50
1GB PC3200 RAM (30)
Socket 939 motherboard (25)
SOundblaster Live! (3)
Case (25)
2nd HAnd Monitor (30)
Mouse Keoybord etc (10)

You get the idea. This system would play IL2 on almost the highest settings, and most other games too.
It is still good to know that socket 939 is going/has gone out of market, so a socket 939 motherboard is not upgradeable once the need for it occurs. So if at all possible financially, it would be better in the long run to get AM2 (or other upgradeable) motherboard.

Xiolablu3
05-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Of course, but you arent going to get a GOOD Socket AM2 system for 250-300.

We can always say, pay more money, get the better board, but if you dont want to pay a lot of money, then that system is perfectly capable for todays games at reasonable resolutions.

Yskonyn23
05-11-2007, 04:38 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif

In fact, I just upgraded my socket 478 mobo with a new processor.

If you don't have the bucks, then try to get as much out of your current setup as possible, of course this only counts if you don't have a 10 y/o computer, but my mobo is roughly 5 y/o and still going strong!

Like Xiolablu3 said, the 939 is still capable of decent performance if you max it out with the right hardware.

Ryan_Cunningham
05-11-2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all your help guys. I guess I should clarify that my reason for using my laptop is that I'm hoping to head to Quantico, VA in October with a USMC flight contract. Provided I make it through OCS, I'll be there for an additional six months for TBS where I won't have much room for a desktop, hence the need for something smaller.

I've definitely gathered that I need to upgrade my RAM and I don't believe that to be very difficult, I'll probably even be able to manage that on my own!

Major_setback, I'm working on getting FSAutoStart as I type. I hope it will help in the meantime.

Xiolablue3, I'll definitely look into getting a new system once I get down to Pensacola for flight school. *knocks on wood*

TgD Thunderbolt56
05-11-2007, 06:57 AM
More RAM (1gb min) and a better Vid card (yes, laptop VC's are definitely upgradeable). You won't have a screamin system then, but you'll be easily able to run most games for the next year or so albeit at lower settings for some.

TB

Ryan_Cunningham
05-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by TgD Thunderbolt56:
More RAM (1gb min) and a better Vid card (yes, laptop VC's are definitely upgradeable). You won't have a screamin system then, but you'll be easily able to run most games for the next year or so albeit at lower settings for some.

TB

Ok, thats great because thats all I'm looking for; to play IL-2 and Falcon AF. I've got an XBox 360 for my other gaming needs.

Hkuusela
05-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Of course, but you arent going to get a GOOD Socket AM2 system for 250-300.

We can always say, pay more money, get the better board, but if you dont want to pay a lot of money, then that system is perfectly capable for todays games at reasonable resolutions. I understand that and that's why I wrote "if at all possible financially". It is still good to know that in the long run it may be cheaper to get a mobo that's upgradeable. If the guy doesn't know anything about computers, he might appriciate the information. Not to say there was anything wrong with your reply. Just looking past tomorrow.