PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, thinking about buying a project car...

Demon_Mustang
02-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, my friend has a Mustang similar to mine that he is trying to sell for $1,800. He built it as a drag racer and snapped his crankshaft, so now it's just sitting at his mother's driveway collecting dust. The body is in PERFECT condition, and the list of modifications to it is extensive.

This is copied from a response I got from an email I sent him:

Edelbrock performer heads (i think they are rpm)
The heads have valve springs 1.7 rockers and everything done to them
Edelbrock Performer rpm manifold
Custom grind cam (for nitrous). It cams nicely its not rough at all
Underdrive pulleys

Ford racing radiator 3 core
electric fans
edelbrock aluminum waterpump.
140amp alternator

Pro-M 77 with eveything (like a cold air intake thing)

Rear end 3.55 gears
chassis subframe connectors
drag launch springs all around
southside traction bars

power adder 125-175 shot of nitrous. NOS with a white bottle (nitrous
express)

MSD billet distributor (the whole piece with cap and rotor)
MSD Ignition box
Ford racing wires
MSD coil
Optima red top battery

24# ford racing injectors
BBK throttle body 70mm
Ford racing EGR spacer.

Exhaust full shortie headers, h pipe, magna flow mufflers cat back is 3inch
Ford racing aluminum driveshaft.
Adjustable clutch quadrant
Short throw shifter
BBK inline fuel pump 190oph.

Powerstop front brakes slotted rotors

Again, all of that for $1,800, that's including the car! lol

The only thing is, I'm worried that despite the fact that the car does not run, I'll have to pay insurance for it if I buy it. Anyone know a way around this? I'm not completely sure about insurance stuff, but I think that as long as a title belongs to you, it has to be covered under state law. But I don't know if there is a non-op clause or anything like that, some kind of exception for cars that are not at all functional.

Also, I can't find a place to store it, I wish I had a friend with a lot of driveway space that wouldn't mind, but unfortunately, everyone I know, space is at a premium. The cheapest self-storage places that allow broken vehicles charge like $190 per month!!

I'm not rich man, if anyone know of how I can pull this off without all the extra costs I might make the investment, would love to have a car that I can work on without losing my primary mode of transportation.

Demon_Mustang
02-22-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, my friend has a Mustang similar to mine that he is trying to sell for $1,800. He built it as a drag racer and snapped his crankshaft, so now it's just sitting at his mother's driveway collecting dust. The body is in PERFECT condition, and the list of modifications to it is extensive.

This is copied from a response I got from an email I sent him:

Edelbrock performer heads (i think they are rpm)
The heads have valve springs 1.7 rockers and everything done to them
Edelbrock Performer rpm manifold
Custom grind cam (for nitrous). It cams nicely its not rough at all
Underdrive pulleys

Ford racing radiator 3 core
electric fans
edelbrock aluminum waterpump.
140amp alternator

Pro-M 77 with eveything (like a cold air intake thing)

Rear end 3.55 gears
chassis subframe connectors
drag launch springs all around
southside traction bars

power adder 125-175 shot of nitrous. NOS with a white bottle (nitrous
express)

MSD billet distributor (the whole piece with cap and rotor)
MSD Ignition box
Ford racing wires
MSD coil
Optima red top battery

24# ford racing injectors
BBK throttle body 70mm
Ford racing EGR spacer.

Exhaust full shortie headers, h pipe, magna flow mufflers cat back is 3inch
Ford racing aluminum driveshaft.
Adjustable clutch quadrant
Short throw shifter
BBK inline fuel pump 190oph.

Powerstop front brakes slotted rotors

Again, all of that for $1,800, that's including the car! lol

The only thing is, I'm worried that despite the fact that the car does not run, I'll have to pay insurance for it if I buy it. Anyone know a way around this? I'm not completely sure about insurance stuff, but I think that as long as a title belongs to you, it has to be covered under state law. But I don't know if there is a non-op clause or anything like that, some kind of exception for cars that are not at all functional.

Also, I can't find a place to store it, I wish I had a friend with a lot of driveway space that wouldn't mind, but unfortunately, everyone I know, space is at a premium. The cheapest self-storage places that allow broken vehicles charge like $190 per month!!

I'm not rich man, if anyone know of how I can pull this off without all the extra costs I might make the investment, would love to have a car that I can work on without losing my primary mode of transportation.

Hornet57
02-26-2005, 12:11 AM
I don't know where you live in Florida Demon but I just came back from Orlando and from what I saw there is plenty of space there. In any case you dont need to insure the car if you have a private storgage space. And if you are not a rich man how are you planning to fix it? Racing parts are very very expensive. Sounds like a good deal anyway, if you are willing and able to do the work yourself. Good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Hornet57
02-26-2005, 12:11 AM
I don't know where you live in Florida Demon but I just came back from Orlando and from what I saw there is plenty of space there. In any case you dont need to insure the car if you have a private storgage space. And if you are not a rich man how are you planning to fix it? Racing parts are very very expensive. Sounds like a good deal anyway, if you are willing and able to do the work yourself. Good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Leep
02-26-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't know Demon-- I'm from a small town but I heard a lot about those projects. If it is really a project car-it is probably hot--and you might get in trouble for buying it.
Myself, I'd stay out of those projects. Hey, are they kinda like ghettos??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Leep Out:

Leep
02-26-2005, 01:56 AM
I don't know Demon-- I'm from a small town but I heard a lot about those projects. If it is really a project car-it is probably hot--and you might get in trouble for buying it.
Myself, I'd stay out of those projects. Hey, are they kinda like ghettos??? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Leep Out:

Demon_Mustang
02-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Lol Leep, for a slight split second I ALMOST thought you were half serious, then I finished reading it and slapped myself for thinking it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Anyway Hornet, you're not really understanding what I want to do with it. I'm not really interested in fixing it, I want to cannibalize some of the performance parts from that car, including the Edelbrock upper and lower intake manifold, the throttle body and MAF unit, maybe the Edelbrock heads, maybe, and anything else that would work in my car, then selling the rest of the car off on ebay to make some of the initial investment back, in fact from the auctions I have seen for this type of Mustang not running, I can even make a profit.

I just need space to store it that doesn't cost $190 per month, lol.

BTW Hornet, Orlando is NOTHING like where I live in South Florida.

Demon_Mustang
02-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Lol Leep, for a slight split second I ALMOST thought you were half serious, then I finished reading it and slapped myself for thinking it! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Anyway Hornet, you're not really understanding what I want to do with it. I'm not really interested in fixing it, I want to cannibalize some of the performance parts from that car, including the Edelbrock upper and lower intake manifold, the throttle body and MAF unit, maybe the Edelbrock heads, maybe, and anything else that would work in my car, then selling the rest of the car off on ebay to make some of the initial investment back, in fact from the auctions I have seen for this type of Mustang not running, I can even make a profit.

I just need space to store it that doesn't cost $190 per month, lol.

BTW Hornet, Orlando is NOTHING like where I live in South Florida.

Hornet57
02-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Sorry I didn't understand the first time, but if stripping it down for parts is what you want how about if you get a space for a month or two and then stripping the parts you need and storing them in you home (providing you have room for them in your home some place) and sell the shell on E-bey or someplace like that. Also you can check out the prices of storage places (less space needed for parts) they must be a lot cheaper then $190 a month i think.

Hornet57
02-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Sorry I didn't understand the first time, but if stripping it down for parts is what you want how about if you get a space for a month or two and then stripping the parts you need and storing them in you home (providing you have room for them in your home some place) and sell the shell on E-bey or someplace like that. Also you can check out the prices of storage places (less space needed for parts) they must be a lot cheaper then $190 a month i think.

Leep
02-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Sheesh- you guys better move here to Montana, you can rent a big storage unit for about 25-35$ a month.
Lol- You know me Demon... Always a wise ah --guy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Gives me something to do and keeps me in the game.
take care, you guys.

Leep Out:

Leep
02-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Sheesh- you guys better move here to Montana, you can rent a big storage unit for about 25-35$ a month.
Lol- You know me Demon... Always a wise ah --guy http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Gives me something to do and keeps me in the game.
take care, you guys.

Leep Out:

Hornet57
02-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey Leep, what does a small Ranch go for these days in Montana? I would love to buy one with a couple of horses to run around with in the Summer

Hornet57
02-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Hey Leep, what does a small Ranch go for these days in Montana? I would love to buy one with a couple of horses to run around with in the Summer

Demon_Mustang
02-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Heh Hornet, actually no, I have my stock H-pipe probably rusting away or becoming a home for critters on my sideyard because I have no place to put it since I installed the off-road H-pipe I have on my car right now, lol.

And about the storage places, I've been calling them in order from the yellow pages, and yes, they are all uber uber expensive. I guess there is a demand for storage space down here...

Demon_Mustang
02-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Heh Hornet, actually no, I have my stock H-pipe probably rusting away or becoming a home for critters on my sideyard because I have no place to put it since I installed the off-road H-pipe I have on my car right now, lol.

And about the storage places, I've been calling them in order from the yellow pages, and yes, they are all uber uber expensive. I guess there is a demand for storage space down here...

Hornet57
02-27-2005, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon_Mustang:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are going to store parts for a long time you should wrapt them tightly in plastic and store them in a dry place.........not outdoors.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
And about the storage places, I've been calling them in order from the yellow pages, and yes, they are all uber uber expensive. I guess there is a demand for storage space down here... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case take Leep's advise and move to Montana http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
but seriously what kind of storage space did you price to store the entire car?

Hornet57
02-27-2005, 06:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Demon_Mustang:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are going to store parts for a long time you should wrapt them tightly in plastic and store them in a dry place.........not outdoors.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
And about the storage places, I've been calling them in order from the yellow pages, and yes, they are all uber uber expensive. I guess there is a demand for storage space down here... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In that case take Leep's advise and move to Montana http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif
but seriously what kind of storage space did you price to store the entire car?

Demon_Mustang
02-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Hornet, you're missing my point about my H-pipe. OBVIOUSLY it is not being stored correctly, my point was that I DON'T HAVE ANY SPACE to store it correctly indoors.

And about the storage, I asked for 10' x 15' which I think is probably the smallest space they usually have that would fit a car, any smaller and it would be too small. The parking spaces don't work, they usually require that it be covered by insurance, and more importantly I would not be able to work on the car in secret if it is parked right out in the open, lol.

Demon_Mustang
02-27-2005, 10:31 PM
Hornet, you're missing my point about my H-pipe. OBVIOUSLY it is not being stored correctly, my point was that I DON'T HAVE ANY SPACE to store it correctly indoors.

And about the storage, I asked for 10' x 15' which I think is probably the smallest space they usually have that would fit a car, any smaller and it would be too small. The parking spaces don't work, they usually require that it be covered by insurance, and more importantly I would not be able to work on the car in secret if it is parked right out in the open, lol.

Hornet57
02-28-2005, 05:31 AM
I realize that you don't have space indoors Demon but just advised you on how to store auto parts for long duration but you do need indoor space which you obviously don't so the next best thing would be a space like 5'X5' to store the parts not the whole vehicle.
You wouldnt be able to work on the car if you had it in a storgage area anyway, but like I said on the first post you will need to rent a parking space on a private lot not the street which you would not need to insure it and be able to work on it. You said you can get a space like that for $190 bucks so I figure if you are able to come up with that cash it would only be for a month or so and then you move the parts to a storage area which would be more affortable.

Hornet57
02-28-2005, 05:31 AM
I realize that you don't have space indoors Demon but just advised you on how to store auto parts for long duration but you do need indoor space which you obviously don't so the next best thing would be a space like 5'X5' to store the parts not the whole vehicle.
You wouldnt be able to work on the car if you had it in a storgage area anyway, but like I said on the first post you will need to rent a parking space on a private lot not the street which you would not need to insure it and be able to work on it. You said you can get a space like that for $190 bucks so I figure if you are able to come up with that cash it would only be for a month or so and then you move the parts to a storage area which would be more affortable.

Demon_Mustang
03-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Check it out guys, that guy with the car changed his mind again, now it's up for sale again, and now I actually found a place I can store it for free. One of my friends own a motel close by, he said I can keep it in his parking lot for as long as I like. SCORE!

Anyway, just an update, have to sleep, lol, early work, arg...

Demon_Mustang
03-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Check it out guys, that guy with the car changed his mind again, now it's up for sale again, and now I actually found a place I can store it for free. One of my friends own a motel close by, he said I can keep it in his parking lot for as long as I like. SCORE!

Anyway, just an update, have to sleep, lol, early work, arg...