PDA

View Full Version : Flight Pedals do they work?

sandman38
02-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Hello
How are you doing.

I purchased some SIMPED-VARIO Flight Pedals some time ago to be used in Flight Simulators. However, I have decided to try and get it operating again.

System & Hardware:

Windows XP
MS ForceFeedback II Joystick
SB Audigy 2 Sound Card
(Optional Replacment - SB Live Sound Card with Serial Game port)
Simped-Vario Flight Pedals NR: 199904 016
Sim-FFB NR: 9903 051 (No longer needed as New Joystick is USB)
V-Stick NR: 0306018

Questions:
1. General Question- Whatever flight pedal brand that you are using it doesn't matter... have you really noticed an improvment in your flying?

2. My new SB Audigy Sound card does not have a Serial bame port but a 1394 Firewire Port.
I suspect that to get the Flight Pedals working I will have to switch to my SB-Live sound card. Correct?

3. LAST and MOST IMPORTANT- At the moment the pedals seem a little slow and slugish while flying my favorite flight sim IL2 Sturmovik. Have you gotten any feedback or suggestions on the setting for this pedals.

Thank you for your time. I hope to here from you soon.

Sincerely
Sandman38

sandman38
02-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Hello
How are you doing.

I purchased some SIMPED-VARIO Flight Pedals some time ago to be used in Flight Simulators. However, I have decided to try and get it operating again.

System & Hardware:

Windows XP
MS ForceFeedback II Joystick
SB Audigy 2 Sound Card
(Optional Replacment - SB Live Sound Card with Serial Game port)
Simped-Vario Flight Pedals NR: 199904 016
Sim-FFB NR: 9903 051 (No longer needed as New Joystick is USB)
V-Stick NR: 0306018

Questions:
1. General Question- Whatever flight pedal brand that you are using it doesn't matter... have you really noticed an improvment in your flying?

2. My new SB Audigy Sound card does not have a Serial bame port but a 1394 Firewire Port.
I suspect that to get the Flight Pedals working I will have to switch to my SB-Live sound card. Correct?

3. LAST and MOST IMPORTANT- At the moment the pedals seem a little slow and slugish while flying my favorite flight sim IL2 Sturmovik. Have you gotten any feedback or suggestions on the setting for this pedals.

Thank you for your time. I hope to here from you soon.

Sincerely
Sandman38

Mackane1
02-27-2005, 08:14 PM
I also use SIMPED pedals and I think they're great.
The rudder responds slightly to large pedal movements until you really push them all the way forward. It's better this way...makes takeoff and landing corrections easier.

ClnlSandersLite
02-28-2005, 05:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>1. General Question- Whatever flight pedal brand that you are using it doesn't matter... have you really noticed an improvment in your flying? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ten fold improvement. It takes a little while to actually get used to the bastards, but they're well worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. My new SB Audigy Sound card does not have a Serial bame port but a 1394 Firewire Port.
I suspect that to get the Flight Pedals working I will have to switch to my SB-Live sound card. Correct? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't answer that for sure, however you may be able to run both cards at once. I did that for one reason or another at one point. Just disable the sound on the sb live. It's possible though, depending on how well creative writes their stuff, that they will not work together. You could also try getting a Game port to USB adapter, but that won't always work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3. LAST and MOST IMPORTANT- At the moment the pedals seem a little slow and slugish while flying my favorite flight sim IL2 Sturmovik. Have you gotten any feedback or suggestions on the setting for this pedals.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You could try tweaking the sensitivity up. I use CH USB pedals myself so I don't know about that particular model.

Wilburnator
02-28-2005, 06:54 AM
Rudder pedals are awesome. I have CH Pro Pedals, which are great but I have heard that simped pedals are even better. As far as connecting them to your PC, you can buy a card that plugs into a pci slot in your machine that is nothing but a serial port on a card for connecting such devices to your machine. They are cheap, I bought one at CompUSA for a few dollars. Maybe that would do it for you.

ednavar
02-28-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure if it will work with simped but before moving to the vario usb version I used some old gameport Elite pedals with a gameport2usb adapter and they worked flawlessy - 7 US $.

S!

x6BL_Brando
02-28-2005, 07:37 AM
Basically, the longer leverage you have on a rotational device, the finer the degree of control you can obtain. Add to that the fact that your input is not deflected by the need to alter other axes simultaneously, as with a twistgrip joystick, then you can see why pedals make a lot of diference to the way you fly! I could have mentioned how twist-stick rudder control can be affected by things like force-feedback, or reaching around to pull the trigger or press a button combination, or even a joystick that isn't firmly fixed to the desk!

This is not to say that anyone without pedals will necessarily fare badly, absolutely not, as evidenced by the hundreds of twiststick aces out there who could bust my humble butt anytime - but, if you have 'em, then definitely use them. For one thing it will greatly improve your enjoyment of simulated flight. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm not sure about using gameport and USB controllers together with WinXP. My CH Pro's are USB as is my stick. However, I'm surprised to hear that you didn't receive a gameport with your Audigy2. It's on a separate I/O plate, and connects by a ribbon-cable to the soundcard, and one came in the box with my 2ZS.

Tully is the guy to talk to about this subject - link to joystick archive in his sig, or post him direct. Finally....try the following link. You would need to find out if this will work with your OS, rig, and any other software relating to controllers. Good luck!

Edit: Link deleted, related to PS not PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Vacillator
02-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Brando is correct, the gameport for the Audigy comes on a separate I/O plate. I recently found mine still in its plastic wrapper in my drawer full of 'bits I received in boxes but either haven't used or don't know what they're for'. Going to build a second rig with spare parts soon http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Stiglr
02-28-2005, 10:32 AM
By asking this question, I'm assuming you've been using a "twisty stick".

If you have the means to add pedals to your gear, DO IT. Get away from the twisty toy.

Pedals belong under the feet. They will add a precision and a feel to your flying that is invaluable. As you transition, you'll struggle mightily, as you'll still be "torquing" your wrist... but bear with it. After a while, you'll build new muscle memory, and you'll see the results.

Do NOT EVER go back to a twisty toy. Install those pedals right away.

sandman38
02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey Thanks all for the help so far!

Sorry for the delay in checkup on all this, it€s just that my ISP was DOA!
I did find and install the Serial Game Port for the Audigy card. Who knew? I had totally forgotten about the thing. My only issue now is to increase the sensitivity? At the moment without the pedals my MSFFB Joysticks turn has a better response. Are there any settings in IL2-FB for this or is it strictly up to the pedals and Windows XP? There are some settings for the pedals. Hey to get a better idea on what I'm talking about check out these two web sites:

http://www.dhs-electronic.de/home.htm

http://www.cagesworld.com/reviews/simpedvario/index.shtml

horseback
02-28-2005, 09:41 PM
In-game, you can assign the rudder control in the HOTAS section of the Controls menu and then go to the Inputs section, and set your sensitivities there, I think. My CH Pro Pedals are USB, so I have no experiential knowledge in this regard; it's simply what I'd try first.

cheers

horseback

Tully__
02-28-2005, 09:50 PM
For assigning controls and sensitivity settings, click the "Joysticks..." link under my signature picture and read the sections on "Assigning Controls", "Setting up Sensitivity" and "I Added a Second Controller..." in the article it takes you to.

BaldieJr
02-28-2005, 09:55 PM
I threw my pedals in the closet. You can't get precision with your legs.

Use a twisty if you want to be competitive.

Platypus_1.JaVA
03-01-2005, 01:44 AM
It is weird but, additions like rudder pedals and in a way, TrackIR makes you feel instantaneosly comfortable. Something like "YES" and "This is how flight simulators are meant to be played". I am also considering some rudder pedals but, I have to unplug something for that because all 6 of my USB ports are connected now.