PDA

View Full Version : Install problems: Files on wrong disc?

han freak solo
11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I just bought PF today in the USA and have been wrestling with it for way too long to install.

Bottom line, DEFAUL~1.cab and PFFBAEP2.cab are on Disc 2. PFFBAEP.cab is on Disc 1.

During install Disc 1 stops with an error looking for DEFAUL~1.cab or PFFBAEP2.cab, which happen to be on Disc 2. Depending on the type of install your doing.

Or, if you try to act like your installing from Disc 2, it stops with an error looking for PFFBAEP.cab, which is on Disc 1.

If I save the contents of Disc 1 to my hard disc and then install from my hard disc after copying in the crossed .cab files first, Pacific Fighters actually installs.

BUT, I can't start the game from Disc 2 or a copy of Disc 2 on my hard drive (with the requested .cab files). Obviously, this is due to the fact of the security measures of Disc 2, AND I did't install from the CD-ROM drive.

I'd love to just make a pair of new CDs with all 3 .cab files copied on both CDs, but the security of Disc 2 will probably prevent it.

Anyone else with this problem??

Frustrated in Texas.

han freak solo
11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
I just bought PF today in the USA and have been wrestling with it for way too long to install.

Bottom line, DEFAUL~1.cab and PFFBAEP2.cab are on Disc 2. PFFBAEP.cab is on Disc 1.

During install Disc 1 stops with an error looking for DEFAUL~1.cab or PFFBAEP2.cab, which happen to be on Disc 2. Depending on the type of install your doing.

Or, if you try to act like your installing from Disc 2, it stops with an error looking for PFFBAEP.cab, which is on Disc 1.

If I save the contents of Disc 1 to my hard disc and then install from my hard disc after copying in the crossed .cab files first, Pacific Fighters actually installs.

BUT, I can't start the game from Disc 2 or a copy of Disc 2 on my hard drive (with the requested .cab files). Obviously, this is due to the fact of the security measures of Disc 2, AND I did't install from the CD-ROM drive.

I'd love to just make a pair of new CDs with all 3 .cab files copied on both CDs, but the security of Disc 2 will probably prevent it.

Anyone else with this problem??

Frustrated in Texas.

han freak solo
11-10-2004, 11:55 PM
After walking away for a while and then giving it one more try, I got PF to install in the stand alone version so far. I'll try the PF+FB+AEP some other day.

Previously, I copied both discs to my hardrive in separate folders to act like they were separate discs. I just made sure both folders had all the .cab files.

This time I piled everything into one folder on my hard disc and installed from there. Installed perfectly. I still have to have disc 2 in my CD-ROM drive to run it, though.

Weird.

psaunder
11-11-2004, 12:31 AM
I had same error tryign to install into AEP from my Pioneer DVD drive. I then tried install from my CDRW drive and it worked fine.
The install would get 1/2 way through and then say it couldn't find a .cab file , even though it was there.. very strange. I would have had same issue if not for 2nd CDRW drive.

pat.

han freak solo
11-11-2004, 07:38 AM
My problem was tried with both my CD-ROM and CD-RW drives. Maybe because my box is a Compaq it wouldn't install?

This is the second Compaq I've had weird issues with. The first one back in 2001 I returned after 3 days for a Sony. This Compaq I've had since March 2004 and I've worked around most issues. What a pain of a computer, though.