PDA

View Full Version : Did pericopes really work that well under water???

Col_Tibbetts
04-20-2005, 09:34 AM
I think I heard somewhere that all WWII sub capitans complained about how much ambient light was needed to really see a clear image through the periscope. One even went as far as to say that the periscope was all but useless on moonless nights. Now I probably heard this on the History Channel so take it with a grain of sea salt.

However those German opticians must have worked some wonders since the under water images we can get through our periscopes would make Jacques Coustau all perky! I guesstimate that you can see 10 to 20 yards in all directions at any depth, day or night.

My guess is that this is all very unrealistic but hey, its just a game right? One way our super scopes come in handy is when we must evade those destroyers. All you need to do is dive to 20 meters or so and raise the scope just enough to look around. When you hear a destoryer coming check the scope and watch his keel approach. Just keep your speed to all ahead flank and kick the rudder in the appropriate direction to get out from under him. His depth charges will be very ineffective since you have manuvered out of the blast radius.

And you thought you needed the hydrophones for under water dectection, eh?

Col_Tibbetts
04-20-2005, 09:34 AM
I think I heard somewhere that all WWII sub capitans complained about how much ambient light was needed to really see a clear image through the periscope. One even went as far as to say that the periscope was all but useless on moonless nights. Now I probably heard this on the History Channel so take it with a grain of sea salt.

However those German opticians must have worked some wonders since the under water images we can get through our periscopes would make Jacques Coustau all perky! I guesstimate that you can see 10 to 20 yards in all directions at any depth, day or night.

My guess is that this is all very unrealistic but hey, its just a game right? One way our super scopes come in handy is when we must evade those destroyers. All you need to do is dive to 20 meters or so and raise the scope just enough to look around. When you hear a destoryer coming check the scope and watch his keel approach. Just keep your speed to all ahead flank and kick the rudder in the appropriate direction to get out from under him. His depth charges will be very ineffective since you have manuvered out of the blast radius.

And you thought you needed the hydrophones for under water dectection, eh?

quillan
04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm certain the periscope worked about as well underwater as it does in the game. I don't think the WATER worked as well underwater as it does in the game, though. I expect in the Atlantic you'd be hard pressed to see 50 meters underwater, if that much. The Med was supposed to be much clearer.

Frederf220
04-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Seems pretty bright underwater at night through the peri.

Johnny_JG2
04-20-2005, 10:47 AM
It's close to reality.

The water looks bright, but you can only see about the length of a C2.

I was on a sub and have seen (thru the "peri-vis") the view underwater thru a periscope. The OOD raises the scope at 150feet and begins scanning for ships as we would rise up to periscope depth. You can see pretty well, usually. I was in the Pacific, though- but I don't think it is much different for the most part.

Supr
04-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, i cant say much about how real it is, but I can tell you that I scuba dive and have been in some pretty clear water at night, and without a light, you see almost nothing, even with a full moon. Dive down 50 ft or so, and its pure blackness. Maybe with your eyes fully adjusted, you may be able to make out a shadow on the surface with a bright moon, but I really can€t imagine you could see very much at night thru a scope.

Now during the day, that may be a different story. But again, I have been diving in several location and the best visibility I have ever seen is about 200 ft. on an unusually calm day off the coast of Cozumel. 100 ft is considered greatness (about normal for cozumel) and is hard to find in all but a few locations. 200 ft is almost unheard of unless you dive in spring fed caves. I did hear the Red Sea has great vis, but i have never been there.