PDA

View Full Version : The Cure for UFOlike AI

DRB_Hookech0
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
......AMD64 3500+ on a Asus SLI board and a 6800 series card.

After spending **** near 2 days tearing down my rig and rebuilding it, I jumped into PF and ran one of my squads shooting gallery misions (a ton of AC in the air) that tended to be a slide show at times when in the middle of the furball, not to mention the UFO moves the AI would do right as you got into guns range.

Well, after geting my rig back together, jumped in a plane and took off to see how things went....smooth as a virgins thig.....er...wait....smooth as silk is what i ment. AI did not do stuipd AI tricks and act like UFOs and now they go up like roman candels as apposed to the little bits and pieces I was geting before. So IMO this game screams for you to throw hardware at it. I mean the differnce is like night and day. I was having so much fun, I forgot to check the FPS....but it has to be better than my old 20 FPS in my old rig.

DRB_Hookech0
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
......AMD64 3500+ on a Asus SLI board and a 6800 series card.

After spending **** near 2 days tearing down my rig and rebuilding it, I jumped into PF and ran one of my squads shooting gallery misions (a ton of AC in the air) that tended to be a slide show at times when in the middle of the furball, not to mention the UFO moves the AI would do right as you got into guns range.

Well, after geting my rig back together, jumped in a plane and took off to see how things went....smooth as a virgins thig.....er...wait....smooth as silk is what i ment. AI did not do stuipd AI tricks and act like UFOs and now they go up like roman candels as apposed to the little bits and pieces I was geting before. So IMO this game screams for you to throw hardware at it. I mean the differnce is like night and day. I was having so much fun, I forgot to check the FPS....but it has to be better than my old 20 FPS in my old rig.

mortoma
03-07-2005, 04:01 PM
So all you did was take your rig apart and put it back together?? How does that improve things?? Did you put in new hardware ( video card, etc. )??
I don't think you expalined it well enough for a dummie like me!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

badaboom.1
03-07-2005, 05:53 PM
I think I need a new vid,card.I still have the one that came with my rig,GFORCE FX I think?Anyway when I fly LOMAC with graffics enabled the screen goes blue&ctd http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gifI did update to 1GIG of RAM recently & that made a lot of diference with stuttering!How is that 6800 series DRB HOOKECHO?How much$

Hendley
03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
I might be missing something, but how on earth does new hardware improve the AI???

Tully__
03-07-2005, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mortoma:
So all you did was take your rig apart and put it back together?? How does that improve things?? Did you put in new hardware ( video card, etc. )??
I don't think you expalined it well enough for a dummie like me!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First line of his post.... new processor & vid card....

Tully__
03-07-2005, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hendley:
I might be missing something, but how on earth does new hardware improve the AI??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No stutters or warps.... smoother more realistic manouvers.

BaldieJr
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
If your CPU is swamped, AI will suffer. I noticed the effect when FB first came out. After I upgraded CPU, the AI stopped doing wierd things.

If you don't need fancy-pants water, a decent video card and hella CPU is the best combo.

Ijnpilot
03-07-2005, 08:33 PM
The best cure is to play online.

Hendley
03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Okay, I was thinking UFO AI referred to its ability to ride the edge of stalls, come to an almost complete stop etc that is a result of the simplified flight model... So the upgrade reduced stutter and made it _seem_ like the AI was performing more realisitcally?

An overloaded CPU works more slowly, not more inaccurately. The calculations are the same, at 1G or 3.2G. Upgrading the CPU is not going to make the calculations _better_, just _faster_, so it should have no impact on the "intelligence" of the AI...right? Unless the programming dynamically adjusts for CPU load...? Hmm...

lucas_valentine
03-08-2005, 04:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ijnpilot:
The best cure is to play online. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, there is no cure for the un-natural AI. Playing online is the only cure. I haven't played offline in nearly two years and yes that does mean I have never flown a single mission or campaign! Never.

Jex_TG
03-08-2005, 07:21 AM
I don't see this UFO AI ability that much, perhaps the difficulty setting isn't that hard but I can say I've had more than a few excellent moments where I've been in a scissor fight with the AI and we're crossing each other so closely that I can almost reach outside the cockpit and touch him.

DRB_Hookech0
03-08-2005, 08:25 AM
ok...geez guys....I was a little excited, sue me.

Prior Specs:
AMD 3200+
ASUS A7A something MoBo
2 gig Corsair PC2700 RAM
BFG FX5700LE card
yada....yada

New system:
AMD64 3500+
ASUS A8N-SLI Delux
2 gig corsair PC3200 DDR4 RAM
1-ASUS Geforce 6800GT 256 PCIe card
550W PSU

***Warning*** if upgrading to this SLI board, make sure your new power supply has a 24 PIN power coupling to match the MoBo. This will save you a trip to CompUSA later in the build.

So.....before when I would get into firing position, the enemy would levitate in some direction and then do one of the AI Evasive manuovers (hard pull up with a climbing twist...a 9.8 level of diffaculty if your scoring at home) and I would end up shooting air. Or I would think I was lined up for a perfect engine shot and even though I could the shots go in, all i would get for the effort was some chipping of the wingtip.

Now I see what i thought was un-natural AI UFO moves as my PC (CPU to be exact) lagging way behind what I was seeing on screen. Now, they still do that gravity defying stright up pull but that now just makes them a slow target and they go up like roman candles. I am really thinking CPU lag is a problem in this game, but now it is less of a problem than before.