PDA

View Full Version : Sank my first sub...

Worf101
01-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I've played sub sims since "Aces of the Deep" and have played this one through off and on over the years. First time for me though, I was paddling my canoe through the Skagarrak when I happened upon a British sub. Not sure of the class but she was bigger than me. Had a forward gun and square thingies on her periscopes.

Well upon spotting her I knew I couldn't fight her me having no deck gun so I went to 14 feet, ordered "ahead Flank" and vectored towards her. She could hear me cause she began a Zig Zag pattern. I timed here and let fly where I hoped she'd "zag". Sure enough, I hit her between nose and belly... The crew cheered and down she went...

Da Worfster

VikingGrandad
01-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Nice shootin' Worf! I've yet to see a British sub in the game.

Got any screenshots of the attack?

Karl_Donitz_Jr
01-18-2008, 08:03 AM
I have seen a few - in ports I have raided. That's all though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Celeon999
01-18-2008, 08:28 AM
I only had this pleasure back in the old SH-II days. So far....no luck in SH-III ! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

geoffwessex
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
I played WAC for several months and there were lots of British submarines around Norway during the invasion of Norway, Battles of Narvik etc. They were all of the ex-USN S class and historically very wrong but at least they were there to represent the British submarines. I believe that, in the game, they were just eye-candy so even if I'd torpedoed one I would not have got any score for it.

GWX2 has 'real' S Class and T Class modelled but sadly not the U Class which, 1941-1943, were helping to stop Rommel's re-supply across the Mediterranean. I've only been in the Med since I've been on GWX2 - I've only done one long patrol and have yet to see any British submarines. It's a big sea, though!

cnelsoniii
01-18-2008, 10:34 AM
I'm playing GWX 2 and on my fourth patrol while shadowing a convoy I noticed as part of the convoy, but trailing, there was an S boat. As a part of the convoy I was able to sink the auxillary cruiser that was in the middle of the pack but was unable to go for the S boat do to the 2 Black swans front and rear. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

JU88
01-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by geoffwessex:
I played WAC for several months and there were lots of British submarines around Norway during the invasion of Norway, Battles of Narvik etc. They were all of the ex-USN S class and historically very wrong but at least they were there to represent the British submarines. I believe that, in the game, they were just eye-candy so even if I'd torpedoed one I would not have got any score for it.

GWX2 has 'real' S Class and T Class modelled but sadly not the U Class which, 1941-1943, were helping to stop Rommel's re-supply across the Mediterranean. I've only been in the Med since I've been on GWX2 - I've only done one long patrol and have yet to see any British submarines. It's a big sea, though!

Well I was going to do a U-class for GWX 2 but there was just no time, S and T got priority over it as they were produced in larger numbers.

geoffwessex
01-18-2008, 04:17 PM
No worries, Ju88, you and your team have done a marvellous job with GWX2.0. Please don't think I'm being critical at all, but there were in fact 64 of the U and V Classes combined (which were identical in most respects), 64 S class and 53 T Class.

The U Class had most of their successes (and losses) in the Mediterranean, operating mainly from Malta but also Gib and Alex, and in the game I just happen to be there in 1943, in my IXc, heading east of Malta on most patrols and waiting to see what happens come Sept/Oct. Fascinating!

Worf101
01-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by VikingGrandad:
Nice shootin' Worf! I've yet to see a British sub in the game.

Got any screenshots of the attack?

Nope, silly me, forgot to put on fraps. I'm an eediot.

Da Worfster

M0ttie
01-20-2008, 01:56 PM
I've seen loads!...........
Several S class on the surface.
The best are those I find in convoys, only 1 so far on the surface IIRC but generally they are last in a line of merchants within the convoy and are submerged.

hueywolf123
01-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Good shootin' Worf. I tried sneaking into Lerwick Sub Base, but it was too shallow to go in at P depth, and not quite being silly enough to risk it on the surface, well...

Worf101
01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
Good shootin' Worf. I tried sneaking into Lerwick Sub Base, but it was too shallow to go in at P depth, and not quite being silly enough to risk it on the surface, well...

Funny you should say that. I snuck in to Lerwick twice in the opening days of the war in my Type II. BUT there was never any subs in there to hit, mostly tugs, trawlers and two Tribal Class Destroyers, which I sunk. Third time though, they had erected that pesky sub net. Dang it.

Da Worfster