PDA

View Full Version : AOB help needed

Sintubin
03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Hi

I have problems to crectly put the AOB in

If i understand the AOB is the way the target is relative to your sub right ?

but i realy cant use it right i mean i get confused alot of it

its there some one here who can help me out ?

Foehammer-1
03-26-2007, 07:11 PM
OK, imagine this. A ship heading directly perpendicular to you, right to left as seen in the periscope. When you lock the target, the center appears where the 10 degree mark is. Open the AoB page, and drag the moving thing around to the left. Now, if the ship was directly ahead of you, on 0 degrees, the thing on the AoB page would be directly at 9 o'clock, or it would say 90 degrees. The ship is, however, 10 degrees right. Go 90-10=80. The AoB is 80 degrees. Remember this, if the ship is moving to your left, move the slider on AoB page to the left side. And vice versa. Tell me if that made a little sense. If not, I'll try to explain better

Oh, one more thing. There is a diagram of how to do it in your manual somewhere closer to the end. You are looking for this:
1)Imagine, or draw on paper, a line along the course of a merchant.
2)Now, place your U-boat roughly where it is from the ship (as of, on the ship's left, slightly to the front, etc).
3)Draw a line from the boat to the ship. Now, the AoB is the angle between the two lines. Hopefully that makes a little more sense

geoffwessex
03-26-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Sintubin:
If i understand the AOB is the way the target is relative to your sub right ?

It's the other way round. Imagine you're on the bridge of the target and you spot the submarine, you'd report it to your captain as a relative bearing - usually a number of degrees to port or starboard of the ship's bow (in many navies you would actually say "Red 35" or "Green 20" for example). That's the 'Angle on the Bow' (AOB).

HeibgesU999
03-28-2007, 02:24 PM
If the Target is moving left to right, the AOB will be Starboard.

If the Target is movint right to left, the AOB will be Port.

The AOB you enter into the TDC will be the AOB for the Target at your Firing Point (the postition from which your torpedoes are actually launched.

Determining AOB.

The most important thing to know at the beginning,is that if you are on a perpendicular course to your target (not to be confused with 90?AOB), then there is a defined relationship between Bearing and AOB.

Targets Moving Right to Left
Bearing 45? = AOB 45?port
Bearing 20? = AOB 70?port
Bearing 10? = AOB 80?port
Bearing 000? = AOB 90?port

Targets moving Left to Right
Bearing 315? = AOB 45?starboard
Bearing 340? = AOB 70?starboard
Bearing 350? = AOB 80?starboard
Bearing 000? = AOB 90?starboard

Sintubin
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Thank you very very much for the time , and writting

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

3.JG51_Molders
03-28-2007, 10:23 PM
My two cents worth might be late but I have understood angle on bow to be the angle of the ship to my uboat (e.g. being perpendicular to a merchant ship and on its right side would produce an angle on his bow of 90 degrees STB (starboard).

geoffwessex
03-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Yes. That would be right.