PDA

View Full Version : A demo track for keeping up with your flight...

Tully__
10-02-2004, 06:43 AM
It isn't as much of an issue as it was with IL2 Sturmovik (the original game) but people are still finding keeping up with their AI flight leaders to be an issue. I've put together a couple of demo tracks (right way and wrong way) to show the difference. In FB/AEP v2.04 it only makes about 30 seconds difference in time to being "in" formation, but using the same techniques in IL2 Sturmovik v1.0 makes 4 minutes difference.

Download here (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/keepingup.zip)

Unzip to your ...\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\records folder. The tracks are called keepingupwrong.ntrk & keepingupright.ntrk

The only difference in pilot technique between the two tracks is pitch attitude. Keeping the nose down keeps the speed up and the higher speed in the "right" version results in a higher climb rate, even with the lower pitch angle.

Tully__
10-02-2004, 06:43 AM
It isn't as much of an issue as it was with IL2 Sturmovik (the original game) but people are still finding keeping up with their AI flight leaders to be an issue. I've put together a couple of demo tracks (right way and wrong way) to show the difference. In FB/AEP v2.04 it only makes about 30 seconds difference in time to being "in" formation, but using the same techniques in IL2 Sturmovik v1.0 makes 4 minutes difference.

Download here (http://members.optusnet.com.au/tully_78th/keepingup.zip)

Unzip to your ...\Ubisoft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles\records folder. The tracks are called keepingupwrong.ntrk & keepingupright.ntrk

The only difference in pilot technique between the two tracks is pitch attitude. Keeping the nose down keeps the speed up and the higher speed in the "right" version results in a higher climb rate, even with the lower pitch angle.

Dutch60
10-02-2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks Tully it€s nice to look at some new Tracks.

adlabs6
10-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Helpfull stuff Tully. I recall how tough it was to keep up in IL2 V1.0 days. Nice sig BTW.

dieg777
10-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Nice work Tully-
I found this out when flying in Rowans Flying corp. This was a WW1 sim and aircraft were less powerfull. I kept trying to climb faster by pulling back on the stick. This led to larger wing area presented forward, so more drag, so slowed down and lost airspeed over wing so lost lift. Keeping your nose down to increase speed to climb faster is a valuable lesson.
In IL2 when I try to close up I line up top of cockpit to FLs path then as I close in I use top of gunsight then throttle control.
Hope this is useful but Tullys pictures demonstrate it better than words.