View Full Version : Toggle of gun pods on and off

MAILMAN------
08-18-2007, 12:13 PM
I have mapped to my CH Fighter stick:

Button 1: Fire All Guns
Button 13: Fire MG only
Button 15: Fire Cannon only
Button 8 : Toggle Gun Pods On / Off

I mapped these buttons into the IL2 Sturmovik 1946 controls.

Below is what happened when depressing these four buttons while testing a P-38L with gun pods selected as a load out.

If I choose to fire all guns the cannon, nose machine guns and gun pods all fire as expected.

If I choose to fire just the machine guns only the nose machine guns fire. The gun pods did not fire which was a surprise.

If I choose to fire just the cannon the nose cannon fires and so did the gun pods which was a suprise.

If I toggle the gun pods off:

When I chose to fire all guns the the nose cannon, nose machine guns and also the gun pods ( they are not turned off ).

When I choose to fire just the cannon the nose cannon fires and also the gun pods ( they are not turned off ).

Is this a bug in the game?
Does this Toggle of Gun Pods apply to the gun pods on the P-38L?
Can these Gun Pods in fact actually be turned off?
Anyone else have this problem?
Does the Gun Pod Toggle On / Off actually work in the game?

Thanks

Daiichidoku
08-18-2007, 02:09 PM
the 50 pods were a late development, designed expressly for F-5s (recce P 38), to give a measure of self-defence capability on recce sorties

they were never actually installed or used in combat

so really, one should use ONLY gun pods, if they want "historial accuracy"

the 38 allow3s u to choose MG or 20mm fire only

if u have pods, they are on/off only, and bound to the nose MGs

anyhow, the pods suck, and only decrease 38s handling...4x50cal+1x20mm nose package alone is MORE than enough to deal damage

VW-IceFire
08-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Ahh I didn't know that. Still think the pods are cool and would use them if they weren't such an impediment in air combat.

MAILMAN------
08-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
if u have pods, they are on/off only, and bound to the nose MGs

There are a lot of features in the game that are not historical i.e. no mirrors in the Hellcat, but I digress. The question of this thread deals with features available in the game regardless of whether it is historical or whimsical.

As I stated in the original thread: On the P-38L in this game you can select gun pods as a load out. These gun pods fire when either the 20 mm nose cannon is selected and fired ( Fire Weapon 2 ) or when the .50 caliber nose machine guns and 20 mm nose cannon are fired together ( Fire Weapons 1 & 2 ) and continue to fire when the 20 mm nose cannon is empty. You CANNOT TURN THE GUN PODS OFF on the P-38L. I just verified this again.

The P-63 is different. You CAN TURN OFF the gun pods. Also on the P-63 the gun pods fire whenever the nose .50 caliber machine guns fire ( Fire Weapon 1 & Fire Weapon 1 & 2 ) and not when the nose cannon alone is fired (Fire Weapon 2 ). I just verified this as well.

I also performed a forum search and found a thread that answered my question. I just find it odd that you can turn it off on one plane, but not the other.