PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for Oleg: Nightfighters

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Oleg,

My idea for BoB is to put also nightfighters in it. This is my idea: After your takeoff you will be led by the control centers of fighter command to the german bomber formations. Within the range of your own board radar you radar operator will take it over from fighter command and will give you instructions. Then, suddenly you see the flame's out of the outlets of the bombers engines and you open fire. Maybe a stupid story, but it sound's nice.

It's just an idea, but maybe good enough.

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Oleg,

My idea for BoB is to put also nightfighters in it. This is my idea: After your takeoff you will be led by the control centers of fighter command to the german bomber formations. Within the range of your own board radar you radar operator will take it over from fighter command and will give you instructions. Then, suddenly you see the flame's out of the outlets of the bombers engines and you open fire. Maybe a stupid story, but it sound's nice.

It's just an idea, but maybe good enough.

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 11:53 AM
BUMP!

Also, you can jump to the radar operators position and work the radar yourself. Enemy AI gunners don't see in the dark so well. Parachute flares illuminate nearby aircraft. The glow from burning cities can be seen for miles etc.

I've always wondered how it would be to sidle up to the unprotected belly of a Lancaster in an antlered Bf110G. Take careful aim with the schrage musak installation and let fly.

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 01:01 PM
Nightfighters would be great. I always wanted some in FB. As for BoB: You won't find any radar equipped nightfighters in BoB. Actually you won't find any real nightfighter in 1940/41. The Germans started to build a nightfighter force when BoB started. Those nightfighters operated along the Kammhuber Linie to protect Germany and were guided by ground radar via comms. They could only send one fighter per corridor (which was not a big problem as the british sent single bombers. the groundcontrol told the fighter in which area the bomber is and he tried to find him in the dark. If lucky he was supported by searchlights (but there weren't too many for nightfightersupport in 40/41 as the Germans preferred Flack defense) so the nightfighters didn't find their targets too often. So if you want nightinterceptor missions in BoB you'll have to fly them like you would do it in FB now....without on board radar.

2 things we need in FB:
The 110 and the desert!!!
http://exn.ca/news/images/1999/04/23/19990423-Me110coloursideMAIN.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Talking of night, it would be really nice to have flares an an option. Both the simple pistol flare and the more elaborate target flares.

It is a shame that exhaust flames are still beyond the model of FB, it is a handicap in terms of night combat and the lack of any GCI and/or AI radar.

Ruy "SPADES" Horta
http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhorta
-----------------------------
Il-2 - VEF JG 77
'95-02 - WB Jagdgeschwader 53
'99-00 - DoA Jagdstaffel 18
The rest is history...

http:\\www.xs4all.nl\~rhorta\brother.jpg

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 05:35 PM
Gershy,

Can you fly in BoB only '41/'42. Or the whole britain defence war against germany? In Britain, around 1942 the first night fighters entered service, such as Boulton Paul Defiant's and later Beaufighters. Are you sure they won't be in BoB?

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 06:33 PM
theres a paul bolten plane with a rear turrert, that was turned into a night fighter
what we really need is a mossie night fighter /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

whineingu /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 07:45 PM
- As for BoB: You won't find any radar equipped
- nightfighters in BoB. Actually you won't find any
- real nightfighter in 1940/41. The Germans started to
- build a nightfighter force when BoB started. Those
- nightfighters operated along the Kammhuber Linie to
- protect Germany and were guided by ground radar via
- comms. They could only send one fighter per corridor
- (which was not a big problem as the british sent
- single bombers. the groundcontrol told the fighter
- in which area the bomber is and he tried to find him
- in the dark. If lucky he was supported by
- searchlights (but there weren't too many for
- nightfightersupport in 40/41 as the Germans
- preferred Flack defense) so the nightfighters didn't
- find their targets too often. So if you want
- nightinterceptor missions in BoB you'll have to fly
- them like you would do it in FB now....without on
- board radar.

The RAF were flying small numbers of radar equipped night fighters in 1939. By late 1940, the time of the BoB, they had radar equipped Blenheims and Beaufighters. The first kill using onboard radar was in July 1940, the next in November, which highlights how ineffective these early onbord radars were. They were present though.

XyZspineZyX
11-29-2003, 09:27 PM
You DO NOT want Night Fighter sim with AI fighters or AI gunners. Be Sure. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Adding the following line to flight sim code is beyond today's programming technology....

AI_Engage_Range = 7000
If (Night) Then
AI_Engage_Range = 1000
End if

units in meters

Same idea with poor/blind atmosphere visibility or pilot skill level.

XyZspineZyX
11-30-2003, 08:20 PM
Jippiiiiii!! I´d love to see nightfighters in this game...

XyZspineZyX
11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
No, you do not. /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif Trust me