PDA

View Full Version : OT: Question about MiG-29 video

Skarphol
04-30-2007, 06:06 AM
Hi!

Can someone please take a look at this video of the MiG-29 and explane what's popping up in front of the camera at 2:12?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/544557/mig_29_fulcrum/

My first thought was that it must have been the back seat periscope, but it's not that. That is by the way visible at the end of the video.

Thanks in advance!

Skarphol

ploughman
04-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Is it an anti glare shield for the HUD?

WTE_Ibis
04-30-2007, 06:30 AM
It appears to be some type of screen or mirror that allowes the pilot to see above and behind. similar to the one on landing at 3:40 that lets him see the runway "over the nose" of the aircraft.
If you watch the manouvre you see the terrain disappear as he pulls up, when that screen appears you can see the terrain again even though the aircraft is climbing hard.

Skarphol
04-30-2007, 06:52 AM
I've watched it several times now.
I'm pretty convinced that the footage is from the front cockpit.
At 2:09 he is flying inverted, with the ground 'up' and the skies 'down'. Then he pushes the stick forward, starting an inverted climb. And this thing pops up and gives him a view of the ground. Very strange indeed.

The periscope you see at 3:40 is from the rear cockpit, and enables the instructor pilots to look forward at the runvway, when the plane has a high angle of attack. It is clearly not that one we see at 2:12.

Any other suggestions?

Skarphol

tigertalon
04-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Skarphol:
The periscope you see at 3:40 is from the rear cockpit, and enables the instructor pilots to look forward at the runvway, when the plane has a high angle of attack. It is clearly not that one we see at 2:12.

Any other suggestions?

Interesting video, ty for posting.

IMO it is some kind of dimming device (something similar to what we have in PF on german planes when aiming at the target that is hidding in the sun - you activate it by Ctrl-D by default). In that moment plane was under relatively high negative G, and this HUD-dimmer may have not been fixed as it should be, got loose and popped up. Notice it's shape and size matches HUD well. I go with ploughman on this one, something like anti glare shield. Terrain reflecting in it may be misleading, as IMO it is not the point of this device.