PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of these things in planes?

PenGs
10-28-2007, 12:55 PM
There are a few things that I don't really understand and would like somebody explain it.

What exactly is prop pitch and what is it for? What is supercharger and what is it for? What is mixture and what is it for? What are the purposes of opening up the canopy?
I had a few more questions but I can't remember them at the moment.

na85
10-28-2007, 01:26 PM
Opening the canopy doesn't really do much.

Mixture is fuel mixture. When you go to high altitudes you might notice that your plane leaves brown exhaust plumes behind it. (Try it. Get in a yak-3 and climb above ~3500m and switch to external view). At high altitude, the air is thinner, so the fuel:air ratio is off. This results in incomplete combustion which causes the brown plumes and makes your plane's engine start to 'bog down'

Decreasing the mixture (lowering the percentage) stops this from happening.

The supercharger delivers compressed air to the cylinders of the engine. At high altitudes it's necessary to increase the supercharger stage to get better high-altitude performance.

When you change the prop pitch, you're basically dictating how much air is caught by each 'swipe' of the propeller blade. In aeronautical terms this is altering the angle-of-attack of the blade. 100% pitch is the least AoA. 0% pitch is the most. You can think of prop pitch as the gearbox in your car. To start off the line you're in 1st gear, but once you're on the highway you're in 5th gear. It's similar with prop pitch. To take off you'll want 100%, but for a level cruise or a dive you'll want somewhere in the 70's or 80's.

A thread about prop pitch and CEM could go on for pages, but this is the gist of it.

Deedsundone
10-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by PenGs: What are the purposes of opening up the canopy?

Faster bail out and less obstructed view during dogfights.(if you´re a turn and burner)

na85
10-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Deedsundone:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PenGs: What are the purposes of opening up the canopy?

Faster bail out and less obstructed view during dogfights.(if you´re a turn and burner) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

People actually open their canopies to TnB? Neat, I never would have thought of that.

LEBillfish
10-28-2007, 02:36 PM
The open canopy feature was instituted for one reason initially, that being certain "carrier based aircraft" and perhaps some ground have the ability to raise the seat giving you a clear view for takeoff.

The featured carried on with other "slide back" type of canopies, and really has no value past just being a neet feature. It does NOT help in a dogfight as speed is reduced slightly (hence E), and though you may gain a minor amount of side view, you dramatically lose rear view.

Older aircraft in the sim and those with complex opening canopies (ex. hinged to the side) not modelled.

Airmail109
10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Opening the cockpit is insanely usefull

When Im crusing I open my cockpit to get a clearer vision of the sky allowing to pick dots out easier, often I also raise the seat whilst cruising which gives one an awesome all round view!

M_Gunz
10-28-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by PenGs:
There are a few things that I don't really understand and would like somebody explain it.

What exactly is prop pitch and what is it for? What is supercharger and what is it for? What is mixture and what is it for? What are the purposes of opening up the canopy?
I had a few more questions but I can't remember them at the moment.

The game label 'pitch' is a bit misleading as it means different things in different planes.

The prop is a set of wings that have lift frontwards. Most props in the game are able to
change the angle they are tilted into the wind as it were in order to be more efficient as
the plane changes speed -- at least I think we have one or more planes with 'fixed' props.

So this angle is known as the pitch. Fine and good but take note that for most planes the
label 'pitch' really means '% of maximum RPM' which is achieved by changing actual pitch
with the speed of the plane. Related but not the same.

It's best to run the planes with automatic pitch and the only true manual pitch control I
can remember is on most if not all 109's -- you've really got to watch your RPM if you run
a 109 in manual mode!

In automatic or either way for CSP planes (Constant Speed Prop works to keep constant RPM's)
100% is best at low speeds while with time spent experimenting you will find that at high
speeds you can back off the RPM's ('pitch') and get the same or more speed with less heat
to the engine.

Bearcat99
10-28-2007, 08:44 PM
What exactly is prop pitch and what is it for? What is supercharger and what is it for? What is mixture and what is it for?

This link should answer all those questions CEM Guide @ M4T (http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&op=show&kid=249)

What are the purposes of opening up the canopy?

Originally posted by Aimail101:
Opening the cockpit is insanely usefull
When Im crusing I open my cockpit to get a clearer vision of the sky allowing to pick dots out easier, often I also raise the seat whilst cruising which gives one an awesome all round view!

Originally posted by LEBillfish:
The open canopy feature was instituted for one reason initially, that being certain "carrier based aircraft" and perhaps some ground have the ability to raise the seat giving you a clear view for takeoff.

I think carrier landings as well.... Most if not all flyable carrier based AC have the seat raise feature... (Introduced in Pacific Fighters) you cant do that if your canopy is closed. I am not surer about the ground based AC.

polak5
10-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LEBillfish:

The featured carried on with other "slide back" type of canopies, and really has no value past just being a neet feature. It does NOT help in a dogfight as speed is reduced slightly (hence E), and though you may gain a minor amount of side view, you dramatically lose rear view.

Older aircraft in the sim and those with complex opening canopies (ex. hinged to the side) not modelled.

U say that E is reduced slightly but I thought it was not modeled at all.

And here is a side question that I have never known about canopy's is it modeled to where you are more prone to receive a fatal hit with the canopy open on head on dogfighting.

TgD Thunderbolt56
10-29-2007, 07:07 AM
I open my canopy all the time while fighting in a Corsair. That armor shield on the rear top of the canopy is always just in the way.

Other than that, I only open my canopy to bail (it shortens the bail time considerably) and to land on carriers.

BOA_Allmenroder
10-29-2007, 07:17 AM
What are the purposes of opening up the canopy?

How about to get in or get out?

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

HotelBushranger
10-29-2007, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by na85:
To start off the line you're in 1st gear, but once you're on the highway you're in 5th gear. It's similar with prop pitch. To take off you'll want 100%, but for a level cruise or a dive you'll want somewhere in the 70's or 80's.

Thank you!!! It all makes sense now! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Daiichidoku
10-29-2007, 07:27 AM
hehe

remember 4.0 omtroduced the sliding canopy...and tail hooks....and chocks (how come my plane doesnt move?)

the best was the bugged wing fold for super dives and re-deployment to recover http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

buzzsaw1939
10-29-2007, 07:41 AM
It was standard procedure on carriers for easy exit if you missed the deck! or splashed on take off! nothing more!

Bearcat99
10-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Daiichidoku:
hehe

remember 4.0 omtroduced the sliding canopy...and tail hooks....and chocks (how come my plane doesnt move?)

the best was the bugged wing fold for super dives and re-deployment to recover http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Wasnt that 3.0? PF.. then 4.0 came out after the pre BoB FMs were introduced.

U say that E is reduced slightly but I thought it was not modeled at all.

There is a bit more drag with the canopy open.