PDA

View Full Version : Info on Mustang3 anyone have

blackpulpit1970
03-16-2006, 08:41 AM
This plane rocks, its fast as heck, turns well and doesnt overheat easily. I wish it had 6 50s but the 4 do well enough to disable a plane from the fight, any reason why no one ever flies it online?. Share your thoughts and info on this plane please.

rnzoli
03-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Dunno, maybe it's banned, that's why. Similar to jets.
Once I flew it against Me-262 online, and escaped repeated attacks.

Viper2005_
03-16-2006, 09:00 AM
It doesn't have big enough guns for most people's liking. It's one of the best fighter aeroplanes in the game if used correctly, as it will out turn and out-run the Fw-190, and easily out run the Bf-109, whilst also out turning it at high speed.

In addition, it will carry a pair of 1000 lb bombs, which is double the warload of most Luftwaffe jabos and equal to that of the Mosquito; even with Oleg's comedy bomb rack drag it's still substantially faster than the Mosquito once the bombs are gone.

It can also be flown up high to great effect.

Oh and it's got bags of range too.

It doesn't get flown a lot online because people want big guns for instant kills in air combat; often the Mustang will put an enemy a/c out of the fight, only for a Spitfire or similar to steal the kill for easy points.

Very few people use it for ground pounding because they don't see it as a ground pounder. You only get one drop with your bombs, meaning that you've got to be accurate, and a lot of people don't have the patience for that, preferring to hang around in a P-38 launching rockets at stuff until they get taken down.

If you want rapid points, a short life and a glorious death, fly a Spitfire in air combat, and a P-38 to ground pound.

If you want to stay alive, fly a Mustang III for both.

Nuff said.

Capt.LoneRanger
03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
I usually use the M III for deep strike missions on WarClouds. You can deliver your bombs swiftly and precise, yet have a rather low signature. The excellent accelleration and speed is a good live-ensurance.

DaimonSyrius
03-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by blackpulpit1970:
Share your thoughts and info on this plane please.
It's a very good plane indeed in IL2, IMO, but there are three main reasons why I generally opt for the P51D-20 if I get the choice, even if its max speed at lower alts isn't so good:

-Six guns instead of 4. I'm not good enough to not care much about having 2 extra guns available. While I've read that different WWII pilots said that they wouldn't achieve with 6 what they couldn't actually achieve with 4, I find that I'm not in the same club, not yet in the IL2 environment at least http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-Rear view. It makes me uneasy having that big armour obscuring my rear quadrant. I'm hoping that 6DoF may improve this in a not too distant future, but so far, it makes the earlier Mustangs (and earlier P47s and all Corsairs *Edit* and Tempest too -seeing Icefire around reminded me- http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif) uncomfortable for me.

-K-14 gunsight. Not indispensable, but very much appreciated. I actually don't miss it in other planes, but for some reason I do miss it in Mustangs that don't have it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thinking of it, probably those three reasons all amount to what I explained about the first: if I were a more proficient pilot, I wouldn't mind much about having only 4 guns, a razorback canopy and a conventional gunsight and I'd go for the better performance of 150 grade fuel at lower alts http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Cheers,
S.

tigertalon
03-16-2006, 10:09 AM
any reason why no one ever flies it online?

coz in my opinion flying an unarmed plane in a dogfight server full of 108s is not particularly good idea.

ATLAS_DEATH
03-16-2006, 10:21 AM
I randomly flew it once or twice online... the first time went like this... "Ok.. lets see about this Mustang..." Take off.. set trim and power for climb... turn head to drink coffee... look back.. woah.. I'm already at 10k feet ... So next I try the P51D ... ok.. hmm doesn't seem to climb as fast... turn gently.. spin explode crash... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

blackpulpit1970
03-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks all keep it coming. For me the 4 50s arent a problem because usually when i fly a plane with 50s i damage the plane out of the fight only to have a spit or P-38 blow him away seconds later, its difficult to get a kill sign unless you blow him away instantly for me on red so im ok with that. The speed is what i like to control the fight and have cards up my sleeve to use when needed.

VW-IceFire
03-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by rnzoli:
Dunno, maybe it's banned, that's why. Similar to jets.
Once I flew it against Me-262 online, and escaped repeated attacks.
Its not banned. You see it quite frequently.

Its fast but underarmed against the opposition and difficult to fly. Its not seen that often as the pilots who are good with it probably don't fly in the same servers as you do.

You will see the odd Mustang pilot...sometimes they are doing really well but the average pilot who tries the Mustang, the Mark III or otherwise, is usually just meat on a table for some 109, Spitfire or Yak.

Kocur_
03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
It would be more popular if had sighting view modelled in a manner close to RL one - i.e. excellent (say, alike, but better than P-40E), not porked as is now.

VW-IceFire
03-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Kocur_:
It would be more popular if had sighting view modelled in a manner close to RL one - i.e. excellent (say, alike, but better than P-40E), not porked as is now.
Yet another gunsight mounted too low in the cockpit?

tigertalon
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
Yet another gunsight mounted too low in the cockpit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he is reffering to rear view, which should be better because of blown canopy (compared to P51B). This enabled pilot to move his head more far out of centerline of aircraft and easier check his 6. (for same reason also spits and late Fws got blown hoods).

Kocur_
03-16-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by tigertalon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kocur_:
Yet another gunsight mounted too low in the cockpit? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he is reffering to rear view, which should be better because of blown canopy (compared to P51B). This enabled pilot to move his head more far out of centerline of aircraft and easier check his 6. (for same reason also spits and late Fws got blown hoods). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No TT! I mean frontal, sighting view.

Yes IF, it is a gunsight mounted too low. Check this out

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/23110283/m/5351020214

(scroll lower for Mustang)

jds1978
03-17-2006, 03:28 AM
when i fly the Mustang, it's the Mk III....one wicked plane IMHO....