PDA

View Full Version : Il-2 instrument training

KrasniyYastreb
07-28-2005, 02:01 AM
The issue of whether a flight sim like Il-2 can prepare a person for piloting a real aircraft to some degree has been extensively discussed. One of the main arguments against this idea is that the "seat of your pants sensations" that dominate real-life flying are not there. But what about instrument flying? The human vestibular apparatus is as good as useless in that case, and the absence of real flying sensations is not so important here. I am not suggesting people can earn their instrument rating flying Il-2, but maybe it can complement training?

After reading about modern air disasters where flight crews could not determine correctly(in time) that their aircraft was in a spin/stall, I decided to try some spins in Il-2 at night in poor visibility. I found that i could determine direction of spin and recover using the bank/slip indicator.

Then I decided to go 1 step further and created a mission where I take off, turn around, fly a zig-zag series of waypoints and land on a dimly lit runway, at night, in the rain. Clouds are at 1500m so the moon is not visible down low. And flying an aircraft with no artificial horizon. You might say this is overly hard and no one actually flew in conditions like that - but its an interesting challenge. So far I haven't gotten to the second waypoint without entering an unusual flight attitude and performing "controlled flight into terrain". I don't have access to my webspace right now, but if anyone can and wants to host it, plz let me know.

Tully__
07-28-2005, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by KrasniyYastreb:
...You might say...no one actually flew in conditions like that...
You might more accurately say "No sane person intentionally flew in conditions like that if he had a choice" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Taylortony
07-28-2005, 09:16 AM
One of the problems we see in people that have had extensive simulator experiences like MSFS is their lack of visual awareness, Ie they tend to fly a lot on instruments while not looking out of the cockpit at what is going on in the real world and their patch of sky. saying that the rest seems to be very good and they have a good sense of control etc

LeadSpitter_
07-28-2005, 02:37 PM
most have broken essential gauages so no use in watching fuel or engine temps