PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Issue - "No Input Signal"

Sama51
02-05-2006, 01:26 AM
While playing FB, on occassion my monitor will just shut off. It will say "No input signal, Energy Saving Mode" or something similiar.

It does this after various amounts of time. Sometimes I can play for 10 minutes, other times almost an hour before it does it. Other times it won't do it at all.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Capt.LoneRanger
02-05-2006, 03:05 AM
Could have different causes.

1. Disable screensaver and power-preserving. I noticed this once, with a damaged windows-install. For some reason it didn't recognize I was playing and enabled the screensaver.

2. Graphics-card issue. Perhaps more likely. If you have 2 ports, connect your monitor to the second port and see if the problem is the same there. I had 2 ATis having the problem that after several weeks one of the ports died.

3. cable-problem. There might be a problem with your monitor cable. It's possibe there is some kind of damage to the cable that causes the monitor to think there is no graphics card connected any longer.

It would be nice to know how you solve this problem. Is it enough to exit the game (Alt-Tab out of it), or do you have to reboot or something?

Sama51
02-05-2006, 03:11 AM
I have to totally shut down my computer by turning off the power, as I can't do anything, since my monitor shuts off. It won't turn back on even when i try things like Alt+Tab.

I went into the power settings and turned it to where it would never turn it off.

I have a single video card.

A lose connection possibly?

CD_kp84yb
02-05-2006, 04:00 AM
Hey,

Well it sounds to me your computer found an error or freezes up,but your monitor wont show it (power off signal ) .It happens here also, you have a standard monitor? or do you use one with power save settings?
You could try with a old an cheap VGA monitor (880x600) they dont have those energiesaving.
Dont forget to lower resolution.
Ow and post this one into the help forum with the dx dialog.
Ow and remove the energiesavingsettings from your monitor (its in the menu from the monitor) look in the monitormanual.
cheers

Capt.LoneRanger
02-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Do you still hear different sounds or something, e.g you hear youself crash after the screen went dark?

It could really be a problem not related to the graphicscard, if you only hear a looping sound or nothing at all.

BaldieJr
02-05-2006, 08:38 AM
A lose connection possibly?

Probability: HIGH

VW-IceFire
02-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Sama51:
While playing FB, on occassion my monitor will just shut off. It will say "No input signal, Energy Saving Mode" or something similiar.

It does this after various amounts of time. Sometimes I can play for 10 minutes, other times almost an hour before it does it. Other times it won't do it at all.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like the video card is locking up (or maybe the CPU) and the reason that the monitor goes into power saving is because it is no longer receiving a signal from the card.

Could be drivers, could be heat, could be defective hardware, could be failing hardware.

Tgd_Voxman
02-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Make sure that the monitor can handle the resolution AND the refresh rate and that you haven't set it to a value higher than the graphics card or the monitor can handle.

Sama51
02-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Its a new Flat Panel Monitor, only a few months old. Its not at all like a lock up. The game is running smoothly and then the monitor just goes into energy saving mode. When it shuts off so does the sound. Its like my computer goes into hibernation mode. I completely turned off power save mode and applied a screen saver. Perhaps this will remedy it..

Capt.LoneRanger
02-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Okay, that leaves to options gfx-card, connection problem or monitor-problem.

1. GFX-Card:
- what type of gfx-card is it. You should check for cooling/GPU temperature after exiting a game or running idle (just rightclick on the desktop -> properties -> preferences -> advanced preferences. Here it depends on what type of gfx-card you have. Check for Temperature.

- install new driver

- be sure to have installed your motherboard-drivers correctly (This kind of error can result from corrupt AGP/GART-driver installation)

2. Connection
- simple: disconnect cables, try to replace them (usually FlatScreens have removable cables. Some monitors have a fixed cable) - if you have a spare one, replace it - at least check for broken pins, etc.

3. Monitor
- It's possible the monitor has 2 plugs, one for standard VGA, the other for the larger DVI-plug. There might be some kind of malfunction determining which source to use. If he switches to the other source, there is of course no cable connected. The monitor switches off then - had that problem once, too - there was an option in the monitor-calibration-menu, that disabled automatic selection - problem solved